Salerno-Amalfi-Ravello

BMWman2006

We would like to do Amalfi coast and try to visit Positano and Ravello on our own using public transport or may be a taxi back to port in Salerno. We have 10 hours on shore and will be travelling in June.

I was wondering how would be the easiest & quickest way to get to Ravello. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Jay

You have several choices -- all of which are variations of each other.

First, you can take the hydrofoil from Salerno to Positano, then the SITA bus or a hydrofoil from Positano to Amalfi and bus from Amalfi to and from Ravello, and then hydrofoil back to Salerno.

Or a bus from Salerno to Amalfi, then to and from Ravello, then another bus on to Positano and the hydrofoil from Positano back to Salerno.

The buses will take a lot longer than the hydrofoil and will likely be very crowded, but are much less expensive. Not recommended however when you are only in port for 10 hours, although the bus (or walking) is the only way to get from Amalfi up to Ravello.

If you do a Google / Yahoo search for Amalfi Coast transportation you will find the websites for the SITA bus and the hydrofoils/ferries.

One problem is that the public bus to Ravello leaves from the square at Amalfi and is not part of the other "SITA" bus lines that operate between Salerno, Amalfi and Positano. So in order to get to Ravello you need to first get to Amalfi and then change buses. The buses to Ravello do not run as often as one would expect (usually not more then once every 45 min) so using public buses can involve quite a lot of waiting time (or excellent planning). You might also want to consider just renting a car in Salerno and driving. The down-side to driving is that parking in (or near) Positano can be either very expensive (using the limited parking lots/garages in the town) or difficult (using the free parking along the Amalfi Drive). Amalfi has a paid parking lot located on a pier opposite the town but this can sometimes involve a wait if the lot is full. Parking in Revello is quite easy as there are several locations with free or low cost parking spots.

Hank

Thank you for the replies.

Ravello doesn't look too far from Amalfi on the map, is it possible to walk between the two destinations? alternatively are taxi's available in Amalfi to take us to Ravello?

I really do not want to drive myself.

Jay

Thank you for the replies.

Ravello doesn't look too far from Amalfi on the map, is it possible to walk between the two destinations? alternatively are taxi's available in Amalfi to take us to Ravello?

I really do not want to drive myself.

Jay

It is actually much further (by road) then it appears on the map. It can actually take more then 20 min for the drive since one must first drive east of town to even get to the road. The closer road (the one near town) has a couple of one-way sections that are controlled with a light system. This means there can be some delays if you get a red light and have to sit and wait for all the cars/buses to come the other way.

As to hiking between the towns, we have never met anyone who did this during a cruise day. I guess its possible...but it would be very time consuming.

Hank

Archived