On Board Expenses Account

LivsMom2006

Hi! This will be my first cruise and am just now doing the online check in. How does the On Board Expenses Account work? If I use my debit card instead of a credit card how much do they authorize it for? Do you set a limit and go with that or how does it work? I want to be able to have charging privileges as well as the gratuities (we didn't prepay them, not sure if we still can), but I don't have the money transferred from my savings account yet. If you set up a cash account how does that work? Is that a PITA to set up on the first day? Thanks in advance.

ETA: we leave for the cruise on May 28 if that makes a difference.

Hi! This will be my first cruise and am just now doing the online check in. How does the On Board Expenses Account work? If I use my debit card instead of a credit card how much do they authorize it for? Do you set a limit and go with that or how does it work? I want to be able to have charging privileges as well as the gratuities (we didn't prepay them, not sure if we still can), but I don't have the money transferred from my savings account yet. If you set up a cash account how does that work? Is that a PITA to set up on the first day? Thanks in advance.

ETA: we leave for the cruise on May 28 if that makes a difference.

I've done debit card, credit card, and cash.

Credit card and cash are by far the easiest. You can fill out your cruise doc on line and tell them you are using cash. When you board tell the person who checks you in you want to use cash. They either take it there or send you to the desk on the ship ( more usual ). You give over the amount you wish to put on the sail and sign.

You don't need to figure in advance how much you plan on spending because they will let you know if your funds are running low. Additionally the TV is interactive so you can bring up your account at any time to see the charges.

With a debit card they typically put a hold on it and it can take a while to have it lifted by the bank. I also had difficulty once using my debit card at a port, despite the fact I had a large sum of money on it, because the cruiseline had it all tied up somehow. I would go with cash or credit card. Happy cruising :D

debit card holds is released by your bank. I have used my chase debit card for all of my cruises and never had a problem, the hold clears within a few days and then the final sail and sign amount is posted on my statement

debit cards can be used but do be careful. Depending on the bank it COULD look like your debit card is charged twice for your charges. Once for the "hold" which is pending against your account and another for the actual charges. Again, it depends on the bank. I have heard horror stories of cruisers being stranded because they budget $500 for their cruise and maybe only had $900 in their account thus they were overdrawn.

IMHO, if this is your first time using your debit card until you know how your bank treats your cruise transactions make sure you have at least 2.5 more than want you plan on using during your cruise in the bank account.

Happy Cruising :)

I always use cash. Very easy. As soon as I board, I go to the Pursers/information desk. I was on the Victory in February and had to check the balance on the Kiosks. I have always used cash and will continue to.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

From what I have read in the past, KRYSTAL'S REPLY is correct. I have never used a debit card. I use Am. Express, but I would assume any other credit card would be just as good. :) You can always pay the CC up as soon as you get the statement. That's what I do. :)

Thanks everyone. I think I will do cash. I am just not a cash person, I always use my debit card so it makes me nervous carrying that much cash.

You can always put a fair amount of cash on your account as OBC. Then that's a little less cash you have to carry.

The first time I cruised I just called Carnival about a week before I left and they let me purchase OBC over the phone. This was alot less hassle because it was done by the time i got on the ship and I didn't have to go the pursers desk when I first stepped on board. I will be doing the same thing this time around. :)

We always use cash....we add it to our card as soon as we check in on the kiosk before boarding. You are able to check your balance at the ATM like machine on the ship and add as much or as little money as you like. You will receive a refund check, if there is still $$ on your sign & sail card, under your door the morning of the last day before you get off the ship. They will cash this check for you at the customer service desk before you leave the ship if you wish. ;)

Archived