Silver Spirit Review Part 2: The Cabins, Food, and Service

Northerncheapo

The Cabins (Silver Suite 1102)

• They look exactly as they do in the brochure
  • Always kept neat and tidy
  • Turn down service during dinner time, so we never saw anyone
  • water, chocolates, soft music and the next day’s Chronicle laid out on the bed
  • I had no trouble with the faucets, but they can splash if you put them on too hard
  • Balcony was spacious and clean

The Food:

1. The Restaurant

• Food was always very good with an 'always available' section as well as the daily offerings
  • Vegetarian food was AMAZING
  • All food was presented very well
  • Always Available options included a daily carving, vegetable and appetizer (I think it was shrimp cocktail and another choice)
  • I never ordered the 'always available'. I did not bring the menus home (sorry) but suffice it to say that over 12 days, pretty much anything you could imagine was offered, including lobster and partridge.

2. The Hot Rocks

• Always fun with a choice of filet mignon, prawns (HUGE), rib eye, pork chop, salmon
  • side vegetables included salad, potato and asparagus
  • Vegetarian entree was marinated tofu and a huge variety of vegetables. Daniel was the chef for DH at HR and it was FABULOUS (not that I tried it...tofu...yuck...but DH said it was excellent)
  • shared an apple crumble for dessert with ice cream and it was amazing

3. La Champagne

• we dined here twice and my menu was the same both nights
  • DH's vegetarian menu was amazing the first time, but only modified the second time
  • The first time we dined there, a special 5 course vegetarian meal was prepared for DH...an entire lay out with every way tofu could be prepared imaginable. The second time, perhaps they didn't know we were coming, but he had to pick and choose from the regular menu and some modifications were made.
  • The amuse bouche was amazing, salmon mouse and caviar
  • The second course was dover soup...amazing
  • The third course I asked for salad
  • The fourth course was lobster thermadore(sp?), but I asked for it just broiled (watching those calories) and it wasn't a problem
  • Desert was a rich chocolate velvet cake...almost like mouse, but firmer (which I only tasted) and it was very good!

4. Sheshine

• We had lunch and dinner there once each time
  • Very good sushi
  • typical offerings of what you would expect
  • no edamami, which I found odd
  • service was excellent

5. La Tarreza

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I simply do not like this restaurant or the waiters in this venue.

• We dined twice
  • Italian waiter was arrogant and downright rude as we tried to accommodate my DH's vegetarian diet. There was absolutely nothing for him to eat as an entree and the waiter 'danced' around that and just ended up being rude.
  • My food was overly oily and just not good. Perhaps having an excellent Italian mother who cooks really well has set the bar too high, but I just do not like the food here.
  • Other passengers all seem to be enjoying their food and service
  • I hate risotto balls (far too filling for an appetizer), salmon (way too oily, even when I asked for it to be grilled with min. fat), and salad.
  • I did have the 'little bit of everything' appetizer one night and I did enjoy that.

6. Stars

• Again, a special vegetarian meal was prepared for DH and it looked amazing. He said it tasted great
  • I had a variety of fois gras, lobster mousses and creamed-who-knows-what. Sorry, I did not keep the menus. Although tasty, it was very rich. I was thankful for the tiny little 'taste' sizes!

7. High Tea

• Always fabulous with the usual selection of finger sandwiches and treats
  • good choices of teas

8. Room Service

• We ordered breakfast a few times and my soft boiled eggs were never soft. I know it's difficult to deliver this. Everything else was hot and good...eggs over easy, toasts, coffee, fruit and some wellness muffins that were AMAZING
  • Roland delivered canapés to our room every day at 4 which consisted of cheese and crackers and nuts for DH and crab claws for me. All very good!

The SERVICE:

The service was absolutely amazing. From Roland, our butler, who was the quickest shirt ironer in the history of man, to Clive the shore excursion expert...everyone was friendly, efficient, completely competent, fun, patient, and just plain superb.

Special shout out to Debbie, Anna, Daniel, Sevi, and Ricardo who certainly went above and beyond to ensure an amazing dining experience for EVERY meal. To Norman, our sommelier, who never steered us wrong and was simply amazing with his choices. And to Clive who simply made us laugh the entire cruise.

Great writeup. I sure hope you don't get flamed. After all your review was very fair and very well balanced and in the end the only opinion that counts is your own.

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review.

Keith

Great to hear. About the Terrace - when the Chef is really good, so is the food and visa versa. Had also had bad experiences there but I won't starve! I do hope you reported that server to the Head Waiter and/or the Maitre'd. Keep it coming!

Oh, I agree, Ducttape, I will never starve. But like I said, when you have a mother that is a fabulous italian cook, perhaps my expectations are just too high. My mom is from Belgium, but married my Italian father and is an expert in both types of cooking, so maybe I'm *picky*.

Duct tape...did you see my comment about Clive? He made me laugh about calling you "Velcro" LOL What a nice man he is!

Embtsam, we had dinner with Clive one evening and I was lucky enough to sit next to him. He told many stories, but I do not recall anything about kangaroos...although alcohol *may* have been involved :)

Something you can share?

Archived