a commitment to elegance

tumeroll

Over the last 40 years the American way of life has been dumbed down in so very many ways. As we get richer we seem to want to dress more like the homeless than the prosperous.

The Queens are among the last of the elegant ships still sailing. Let's all make a commitment to dress in the most elegant fashion at all times when aboard and in port. Sailing on the Queens is a privilage even if one has to pay for it and let us all try to retain the glory of years gone by.

Over the last 40 years the American way of life has been dumbed down in so very many ways. As we get richer we seem to want to dress more like the homeless than the prosperous.

The Queens are among the last of the elegant ships still sailing. Let's all make a commitment to dress in the most elegant fashion at all times when aboard and in port. Sailing on the Queens is a privilage even if one has to pay for it and let us all try to retain the glory of years gone by.

I'll take the pledge. There was one, and only one, jerk on QE2 on the December trans-Atlantic that ran around at night in jeans and a t-shirt. He appeared to be looking for a chance to provoke someone to violence. I should have accomodated him.

Richard

Here, here Tumeroll, I couldn't agree with you more. It is the elegance and the formality of the Cunard ships that separate them from the rest of the pack.

I remember boarding QE2 in 2003 the small line of travellers were all immaculately dressed. That's part of the luster of voyaging on these grand liners, to dress to the nines is our way of paying tribute to these opulent ships.

Cruiserking

Quick question - how does one elegantly get from the pool back to stateroom in bathsuit and shorts? I'd too would like to continue this legacy, but not sure how of all the details.

Both indoor and outdoor pools on QE 2 have changing rooms.

I have never used the outdoor pool on QE 2; but I love the indoor one. To get there, I leave my cabin dressed in "street clothes" and carry a swimsuit with me.

I change into my swimsuit in the men's changing room, and leave my clothes hanging on a nearby hook.

After swimming, I take a quick shower and towel off and put my "street clothes" back on and return to my cabin, holding my wet suit wrapped in a towel.

Michael

I love the elegance and the life style aboard QM2. Since getting back I have really missed the pace and style. It's too easy to slip back into the manic routines. We have decided that we will have a QM2 night at home now and then just so we don't lose the feel.

We are leaving Monday for the Med. cruise. Here is my question- how can you take a 7 hour flight to London, then be transported to Southhampton and then board the QM2 without looking like rumpled mess. I can not wait to see the photo taken as we board. I don't think I will be mistaken for Cary Grant!

Ken

Know exactly what you mean, and I have to fly from the West Coast!

My routine/suggestions:

Wear wrinkle resistant chinos/khakis with a shirt and blazer to the airport. Have your dry cleaner launder another shirt for you and ask for it boxed instead of on a hangar, with extra starch. It'll come back folded and looking like a new shirt, and will slip conveniently in your carryon. When you get on the plane, fold the blazer carefully (or better yet, have the flight attendant hang it for you). If you're likely to be cold, throw a sweater in your carryon for use on the plane. Pack your toiletries so that you can brush teeth, hair, maybe even a quick shave before you land- a little cold water helps too. Change into the freshly laundered shirt right before you land, and then don the blazer before you get to the pier. To feel truly natty, have a bright tie to put on as well. Most others will be just as tired and rumpled as you would have been, so you'll look considerably more dashing in comparison. Also- lesson learned the hard way- don't drink (much) alcohol on the flight, and drink as much bottled water as you can- skin shows the lack of sleep most when you're dehydrated.

And the eyes (which give most of us the ubiquitous red eyes that give the flight its name)? Bring both visine and your sunglasses! They'll all be saying "Who's that dashing man?!?"

Warning: Ambien and other sleep aids that might give you a better night's sleep at home often work differently on a plane, causing a hangover of sorts the day following a red-eye flight- NOT FUN!

Enjoy your cruise.

Why not stay over in London for at least a day as we did, and take the Orient Express (if available that date) to Southampton? You arrive refreshed, not rumpled and feel quite pampered as they transfer your luggage for you into the terminal!

Arrive the day before! I CAN NOT stress this enough!

And you can do it "budget" too.... esp with all those Cunard luxury days awaiting you!

A. You'll be refreshed and ready to enjoy your first night aboard,

B. No chance of a flight delay and MISSING your ship!

It is totally worth the extra $100 or so to spend at least one night at the ship's departing port for any voyage.

Michael

PS: Yes, I missed a ship once...... the SS NORWAY due to flight delay while attempting to fly the day of the cruise

Michael and DTWtraveler are right, if that's an option for you.

In the past (and again in two weeks!), we've rented a car at the Airport and driven closer to the port the night before to make the embarkation day more pleasant- but that involves driving immediately after a flight- not for the feint of heart! Hotels in places like Salisbury can be a lovely rest for a night, and not terribly expensive. Or, taking the tube into London is easy, and there are lovely places in South Kensington that aren't too pricey- try "Number 16." And we've even stayed near the airport-not that pleasant, but bearable for one night.

If changing the flight by one day isn't an option, just keep your fingers crossed, and follow my previous suggestions- if your air was booked through the line and you purchased the transfers from them, they shouldn't leave without you!

And even if you do fly in early, some of my previous suggestions may help you feel better, even if it's just until you get to your hotel in London.

Good travels-

Andrew

(Best to you Michael- fun sailing with you and the gang on that crossing two years ago.)

Thank you for your comments, especially BlazerBoy. We have stayed at Number 16 in London and it was wonderful. We just don't have the additional time. But with your advice I no longer will be worried about arriving as a rumpled mess in four days!

Ken

QM2 November 2004

QM2 May 2005

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, let's hear it for a bit of elegance!

One question, however... We are one the June 9 crossing with our two sons, 7 and 11. They have enthusiastically chosen their news suits and sport coats for tea and dinner, etc., and have been brushing up on their etiquette. But for their times at the kids zone or while participating in age-focused group activities, I assume that they will be able to wear attractive short outfits and/or dress jeans?

Please comment. Thank you.

When some of us began getting our travel docs last year for the QM2 and saw that crossings would not have formal nights every evening while at sea, we all vowed to continue the grand tradition of dressing each and every evening despite what the Cunard literature suggested.

IOW, to a large extent, it is the regular Cunard faithful who have decided to continue formal evenings every night while at sea and not Cunard, itself. I really do hope the idea propagated by its passengers continues to thrive, and we see formal nights for the QM2's crossings, too.

Karen

Yes, let's have the passengers (not guests) set the tone. Bring all of your elegant formalwear, and use everything !

I hate to say that I saw a few more people than I cared to witness go aboard QE2 in December for our crossing wearing jeans. What would possess someone to think that this fit the occasion ???

Tom

Yes, let's hear it for a bit of elegance!

One question, however... We are one the June 9 crossing with our two sons, 7 and 11. They have enthusiastically chosen their news suits and sport coats for tea and dinner, etc., and have been brushing up on their etiquette. But for their times at the kids zone or while participating in age-focused group activities, I assume that they will be able to wear attractive short outfits and/or dress jeans?

Please comment. Thank you.

Any guidance on the above question? Or was it sheer avoidance behaivor?

I am going to be a skunk at the garden party briefly here with a couple of comments based on a grand total of one trip on Cunard, transatlantic last month. So note my data base is small and my comments are personal, and I have no desire whatsoever to give offense or be critical of others' preferences or behaviours. (This is all called, by the way, "pre-buttal," a great word I did not coin.) ;)

Elegance v. Taste: Opinions and standards vary. Contrary to the brochures, we saw very few people on the QM2 (nor have we seen them on Celebrity or Oceania either) that appeared to make their living through modeling. During the days people dressed like people - some in khakis, some in shorts, many in jogging suits, some in levis, some in dresses, khaftans, shirts with jackets, anoraks, trainers, sandals... We saw nobody trying to look like Fred Astaire nor like Daisy Duke.

At night on "formal" nights I would estimate 50% of the men in dinner jackets, the other 50% in suits or sportcoats/blazers. I saw no one criticised for his/her choice of apparal, and frankly in the main dining room (where we sat with the masses) the layout of the tables and the surprisingly low lighting levels made wardrobe comparisons rather awkward. People were dressed tastefully; whether or not one would call it elegantly is another matter. I for one think cumberbunds are inelegant; others swear by them. I for one think too much blingbling on ladies is inelegant; others think it's a mark of sophistication. Bottom line... who cares? Be happy, be comfortable in your clothes, pay attention to what others at your table are saying, not what they're wearing, and IMO you'll have a better time of it. Sermon ends.

O.K. DanZ, I'll take a stab at this. I was lucky enough to travel by ship many times as a child, and it was invaluable to my "education."

If your children are well dressed for the dining room and for occasions such as tea, they should be fine during the day with much more casual clothing. Shorts might not be a good choice, only because the weather isn't so warm on a crossing, and I wouldn't suggest them for the dining room for ANY meal, but that's me. Same is true of jeans. But if they're in the kid's program, or by the pool, very casual attire is fine. Shorts on warmer days, clean jeans, I guess (just not a fan, personally). I'd probably recommend khakis shorts or long pants and polo shirts as the standard during the day. Leave the AC/DC t-shirts at home. For exercising, track suits are everywhere on the ship, but again, I don't think they belong in the public rooms or the restaurants - for the casual dining options, I think the kids would have a lot more lattitude. Just remember that the kids should follow the same basic rules you do, with the exception of formal nights- a child under 16 in black tie is over the top, in my opinion, yet others like it. Your sons should be fine in blazers or suits. Just remember to let your kids have some fun too. As much as I like formality, I think that children shouldn't feel stiffled all the time by too much of it. And they're much more likely to enjoy the experience if they don't consider it a chore to dress up, but a special pleasure. Remember to give them options or choices- "sure, you can wear that tonight if you want, and we'll take you to the casual dining areas for dinner, or if you'd like to dress up, you're welcome to eat with us in the dining room."

Just my view, and have a great trip.

QM2 has been offering low prices recently, and my last crossing, I noticed on the first night and following day, it seemed nearly everyone was dressed in sloppy jeans, tees and the like. It was pretty bad.

Then, after the first formal night, people began to "get the idea". The following days I noticed people were making an effort to look more put together. I think many of these passengers were newcomers who didn't know exactly what to expect.

Archived