Inuit soapstone carvings

room010

Does anyone know where I might be able to find these things?

I scoured Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan last year looking for a small Inuit soapstone souvenir to add to my collection but could only find nasty plastic tat. There was a lovely little soapstone salmon in a gallery in Skagway which I spotted on my way to an excursion but when I stopped by on my way back of course someone had snapped it up.

We return to Alaska in July and visit the usual ports.

Check out Arctic Spirit Gallery in Ketchikan. They have an outstanding collection of authentic Native art from many regions. They offer some souvenir items as well as pieces that are museum quality. The owner is a genial guy who really knows his stuff. I purchased an exquisite baleen basket from him last year and couldn't be happier! You can e-mail and ask him about Inuit soapstone carvings. Hope this helps.

http://www.arcticgallery.com/

Plenty of good galleries in the Anchorage area that carry native soapstone....Not to mention the Native hospital in Anchorage has one of the best places to buy native carvings...and other stuff in their gift shop. It is not open every day so google the Anchorage native hospital to find the hours....

But you should note that soapstone carving is much more associated with Canadian Inuit people rather than Alaskan. I've seen much more (and, frankly, better) soapstone carvings in Vancouver galleries than anything in Alaska.

Thanks for the tips! Our cruise starts in Anchorage so hopefully I'll be able to battle the jet lag (it's a loooooooong way from Oz) and take a look. The Ketchikan gallery sounds interesting too. I understand the Canadian pieces are probably more "authentic" and better quality but I'm really only looking for a small souvenir of our trip. Like I say, that little salmon in Skagway would have been perfect. The one that got away, eh? :)

Thanks for the tips! Our cruise starts in Anchorage so hopefully I'll be able to battle the jet lag (it's a loooooooong way from Oz) and take a look. The Ketchikan gallery sounds interesting too. I understand the Canadian pieces are probably more "authentic" and better quality but I'm really only looking for a small souvenir of our trip. Like I say, that little salmon in Skagway would have been perfect. The one that got away, eh? :)

This is where you want to go in Anchorage for gifts. In addition to the best selection in town, at quite good prices, you can wander through the hospital corridors a little and see some of the stunning pieces in the hospital's own collection. It's well worth the cab ride there (but easier in a car.) Buying there is also a mitzvah - part of the proceeds directly benefit the hospital's mission.

http://www.anmc.org/~anmc/index.php/auxiliary/anmc-craft-shop

PS: If you're in the market for a blunt instrument for home security, see if you can acquire a walrus oosik. Google is your friend.

The Juneau Trading Co. - 720 S. Franklin - has a really nice collection of carvings. What I liked about their store - it had the "bear" sign in the window - as well as several others that identify the store as one that sells items "made in Alaska" and Native Alaskan Art.

Hope you find what you want. Have a great cruise:D

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Smile - :) it will always confuse an approaching frown.

Archived