What do you miss about the old days of Carnival cruises?

ahoys

I started cruising with Carnival in 1985. Along the way, lots of things have changed. Most for the better, but some things I miss.

• I miss the carnations that they gave to all the women in the dining room on the first night.
  • I hate to admit it, but I miss the funny hats and tiaras, hawaiian plastic leis and the streamer decorations in the dining room on the last night.
  • The little basket of crackers on the table and the the little tray of crudites (carrots, cauliflower, etc.) were a nice touch in the dining room.
  • Free Rum Swizzles on the Promenade Deck the first night.

What are some of the things that y'all miss?

yeah...but don't forget..the food really *%#@$! back then :eek:

Carnival has made vast improvements in that area, thank goodness!!

I prefered when cruises were not a 'family' vacation...sorry, it's just MHO.

I didn't cruise with Carnival "back in the day", but as corny as they were, I miss the Kathie Lee Gifford commercials.

"If...you...could...see me now, I'm on a FUNSHIP cruise!" :D

Does anyone have the full lyrics?

and the best thing IMHO is the areas for smokers has been reduced in the public areas.

Yes, but remember that we had the side of the lounge that was designated non-smoking....didn't work very well, did it?:(

I miss the non-smoking Paradise....

Yes, but remember that we had the side of the lounge that was designated non-smoking....didn't work very well, did it?:(

On my last three cruises with Carnival, the promenade deck was non smoking as was the main show lounge and both dining rooms. Also the atrium bar was non smoking. I call that a major win for all of us that hate smoke.

Me too, and I'm happy that cruises are now famiy vacations. Who say families should always go camping or spend a vacation at a theme park. Kid's have as much of a right to travel as anyone else. I love traveling and I love doing with my kids. They love it to. They will grow up with wonderful memories and will be seasoned travelers.

I didn't cruise with Carnival "back in the day", but as corny as they were, I miss the Kathie Lee Gifford commercials.

"If...you...could...see me now, I'm on a FUNSHIP cruise!" :D

Does anyone have the full lyrics?

she did TV ads for Carnival Cruise Lines.

from

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/KathieLee_Gifford_051304.asp

She has a decent voice. We know that from the Carnival Cruise Line commercials.

from

http://www.sptimes.com/News/112600/Floridian/Audio_Files.shtml

Yes, I'm in my 18th year with Carnival.

from

http://www.kathieleegifford.com/lamb04/chat/41102chat.php

I miss the free prints (placemats?) of the ship you used to get from your waiter on the last night at dinner. We used to have everyone at our table and our waitstaff sign them in order to remember everyone we shared our meals with on that cruise. They made great keepsakes and I still have some from back when the Celebration was considered a "state-of-the-art modern cruise liner." It seems like eons ago!

Yuyi - I got a placemat from my waiter on my November cruise, and the two before that.

.............When I started cruising, ALL soft drinks on board were complimentary! Also, the Rum Swizzle party was a great way to start a cruise, while you tossed the streamers over the side, and 'sailaway' was an event! Other than those couple of things, I don't miss anything.

However - maybe my memory is gone, but I just don't remember as many kiddies (especially very young ones) aboard the ships back then. Or, maybe my tolerance level was higher in my younger years?:D

1) The "Welcome Aboard Rum Swizzle Party."

2) The pool games involving copious amounts of alcohol.

3) The themed nights in the dining room.

4) No such thing as "Camp Carnival" and the fact that you could count the number of minors onboard on one hand.

We were on the Elation in Jan. We did get those free prints. That was our first Carnival cruise, thought the print was a nice touch.

Maybe I'm just cruising on the wrong ships then! My last two Carnival cruises were on the Inspiration and Conquest. I asked the maitre'd on both ships if they still gave those ship prints out and they both said that Carnival no longer printed those. Is it possible some of the older ships just have a bunch leftover from the "old" days? Has anybody received one from a cruise aboard either a Conquest-class or Spirit-Class ship?

Has anybody received one from a cruise aboard either a Conquest-class or Spirit-Class ship?

Both, actually! ;) We got placemats/prints on the Pride in 2002 and on the Conquest last October. They make great souvenirs, and the price is right--on both ships, our waiters brought them on the last night and said they were "gifts". Very nice gesture. Maybe you get better results by skipping the maitre'd and just asking your waiter directly?

Maybe I'm just cruising on the wrong ships then! My last two Carnival cruises were on the Inspiration and Conquest. I asked the maitre'd on both ships if they still gave those ship prints out and they both said that Carnival no longer printed those. Is it possible some of the older ships just have a bunch leftover from the "old" days? Has anybody received one from a cruise aboard either a Conquest-class or Spirit-Class ship?

The Legend in March was handing them out.

2) The pool games involving copious amounts of alcohol.

QUOTE]

They don't have the beer drinking contest anymore, do they...? I loved those long beer glasses and the "tag team" drinkers spilling beer all over.

Archived