Cruising with three generations

ENYCMom

We are looking at a Norwegian Cruise for next spring with my Mother in Law, myself, my husband and our children (dd 14 and ds 7 at the time of the cruise). My concerns are that MIL has only sailed on Crystal and she loves it. Is Norwegian going to be too laid back for her? Is the kids club a good one? Can MIL take dd to the spa? We have sailed on RCI and Disney so this is new to us too. Norwegian sounds great to me but I need something that will work for all of us. Thanks for any advice.

We are looking at a Norwegian Cruise for next spring with my Mother in Law, myself, my husband and our children (dd 14 and ds 7 at the time of the cruise). My concerns are that MIL has only sailed on Crystal and she loves it. Is Norwegian going to be too laid back for her? Is the kids club a good one? Can MIL take dd to the spa? We have sailed on RCI and Disney so this is new to us too. Norwegian sounds great to me but I need something that will work for all of us. Thanks for any advice.

NCL is substantially downmarket from Crystal, but who knows if your MIL won't enjoy it even more? Only way to find out is for her to sail.

This was my concern as well when I talked my parents into a cruise on the Pearl last year. Crystal was their preferred line and had taken many cruises with Crystal. We got them a 2-bedroom cabin in the Haven for them and my sister, BIL and my other sister got the DOS, and DH and i had another cabin in the Haven,too. My parents loved it. It might take some adjustments though. We took them to Azura which was noisy with a particularly rowdy table near us. They opted to eat at specialty restaurants the rest of the week. They loved the Haven, the butler, and the decor. When all was said and done, they bought a future cruise credit and felt the suites experience on the Jewel class ships are a better value than Crystal for a family cruise.

However, it depends on your MIL and what she loves about Crystal. If you are familiar with all NCL boards you know some people are very attached to the set dining times, or the grand atrium, or a smaller ship,all of which Crystal has.

I just got off the Dawn with my ILs and my DD and there was something for everything. I think what worked for us was the Freestyle dining and that we could go based on either my daughter's mood or what was going on for entertainment that night. I felt the entertainment was geared to all ages, except some late night comedy in which they specifically mentioned adults only.

There are some changes coming to the kids club, that will mainly effect the 2 year old group. With that said, we did utilize it one night so we could have an adults only dinner in one the speciality restuarants. They had dinner and even took the kids to the show at night. Also, the kids club was no charge on sea days and a charge for port days.

As for the spa, I believe the spa does have some "kids packages" but I didn't look into it as my DD is too young for the spa. I believe the thermal suite (or spa pass) is for adults only.

Also, we didn't book any suites, but we did have a connecting balcony cabin with my inlaws, which helped since my MIL would take my daughter to bed some nights and gave us some extra room as well.

If this is the first time your Mom is sailing with your family, she may not care what line she is on. As a grandparent, I would sail on whatever line my kids were going to be on just so I could sail with their family.

I do not believe that your daughter will be able to use the spa with your Mom. I think there is a minimum age - but if I am wrong, someone will correct me.

Archived