Safe to walk around at night?

JulieRose

We’re going to be in San Juan from 4p-11:30p on our upcoming cruise on the EotS. Since we’re there for such odd hours, I don’t think we will be able to book one of the usual excursions but we will have been sailing for 72 straight hours before docking so we’ll be ready to get off the ship. I’ve never been one to be nervous in unfamiliar places in the daytime but some areas that are beautiful during the day can get sketchy once the sun goes down.

Just wondering if it’s relatively safe to walk around at night (with usual caution of course) or if we are better off trying to find a dinner tour or something. If you think it is relatively safe, are there any areas we should know to stick to or areas to avoid?

Thanks!

We left out of SJ, at night (10pm I think), and we back got off the ship and hung out in the port area until about 9pm. We ate off the ship and even walked up a few blocks to Hard Rock Cafe. We felt perfectly safe. There was a lot of light on the main streets where we walked, so we did not feel uncomfortable or unsafe at all. The port area is a very busy area, with lots of tourists, so I think you would be fine.

With that said, I would not wander off to the back area streets or down small, dark side streets. It can be like any other town or city---they all have their unsafe areas.:)

My sister and I have walked around OSJ at night and I've always felt very safe. I just wouldn't wander down any dark, unlit alleys (like any other city). There are usually enough other people exploring the city at the same time, so it won't be like you are out all by yourself.

There is a neighborhood next to the fort of El Morro called La Perla- that is not a place to wander day or night, but you would have to travel out of your way to end up there (and it's not near where the ships dock).

There is a neighborhood next to the fort of El Morro called La Perla- that is not a place to wander day or night, but you would have to travel out of your way to end up there (and it's not near where the ships dock).

Some of my family walked from San Christobal to El Morro, and later learned this may not have been the best idea as it's very near La Perla. (I'm not sure of the actual route they took or what the borders of La Perla are.) They weren't bothered, but they said that they were definitely watched. They didn't flaunt expensive cameras or cell phones, and they had kids with them, so they clearly weren't there for illicit activities. Also, it was still daylight.

We were there for the same hours that you'll be there. Even though the cruise arrives in San Juan late in the day, I believe you'll find that there are tours available through the ship. You can also arrange a private tour, which is what some of our family (there were 21 in all) did. We actually went to San Christobal first and found my brother's family just leaving and my sister's family just arriving in a taxi. DS's family joined our guide for a tour of the fort, and since there was plenty of room in our tour van, our guide invited them to join us and they let their taxi go. (Our guide didn't charge them, but they tipped him very generously. :) ) At the end of the tour, he dropped most of us off in Old San Juan (very near the port) and took others back to the ship. He recommended a restaurant and told us where we could find a drugstore (for some things I had forgotten to pack.)

The recommended restaurant couldn't seat our group of 6, but they recommended another one and we really enjoyed it. La Madre. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147320-d1977271-r121763311-La_Madre-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html Not like the Mexican food back home. The meal took a long time, though. I got the impression they don't rush through meals like we do back in the states. They had a musician and a movie projected on the wall, so we had plenty to keep us occupied. It was getting dark when we left, but we felt completely safe in the Old Port area.

We have going out for dinner in San Juan on late sailaway visits for years and always feel very safe. We stay in busy areas where we know there will be lots of people. We don't wear pricy watches/jewelry and I only carry a small purse with bare minimum contents. We've never had a problem of any sort but use the same common sense you would use walking after dark anywhere.

Archived