Jewel Aft Cabins 10668 and 10168

AmysonHenry

My excitement at being able to grab these cabins for our upcoming cruise is causing me to procrastinate in doing more productive things that need to be done. Can't stop thinking now about these great cabins and am searching for posts about them. Does anyone have experience in these rooms? I am hoping that the balconies are fairly large and have 2 chairs and 2 loungers like someone suggested. I'm also hoping that some of the cold Alaskan wind will be blocked by being aft. Also, does anyone know if the balcony divider can be removed between these two cabins? And finally, is there an aft staircase for easy access? Thanks to anyone who can help me out here!!

I don't know but I have 10668 on the Pearl booked for 2014. I can tell you that the deck 10 aft SF's on the Star have a very large balcony and the aft balcony cabins were the same depth just a little less wide. It will be tight with 2 chairs and 2 loungers. You may want to just go with the loungers.

Edited by fergusonvt

@AmisonHenry -

We have cruised in #10168 to the Bahamas last August with our grandson. On Deck 10 the balconies are deeper than on the other decks by about two feet; definitely large enough for two chaises. I do not remember what we had on our balcony. I did not complain, so it must have been adequate. The cabin sleeps four. Our GS alternated between the sofa/bed and the pull-down bunk.

The balcony dividers have a door that CAN be opened with a special key. Some cruisers have been successful in getting them opened up by their steward, others not. I do not know whether it's a policy thing or not.

We do mostly T/As in the cooler seasons, always at the stern. Going to Alaska you should really enjoy the wind-less balcony.

I am not aware of an aft staircase aft of the rear elevator banks on any of the Jewel-class ships. The Epic has one in each aft corner. J.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.jnknuyhk

I don't know but I have 10668 on the Pearl booked for 2014. I can tell you that the deck 10 aft SF's on the Star have a very large balcony and the aft balcony cabins were the same depth just a little less wide. It will be tight with 2 chairs and 2 loungers. You may want to just go with the loungers.

I was in that cabin on the Pearl to Alaska in August 2010. It was a great balcony and we loved it. We had unusually warm weather most of the week. We spent the day out on the balcony when we were in Glacier Bay. It was amazing. We took a few quick trips up to see from other angles but we kept going back to enjoy it on our balcony.

We were in 10668 on the Jewel twice to the caribbean and had 10666 on the Pearl to Alaska. The balconies are large. We had two lounge chairs and one regular chair in 10668. The aft balcony was great for Alaska. We spent many hours out there. DH sat on the balcony wearing shorts and no shirt several times on the Alaska cruise. One day it actually got too hot out there. The view was great!

We also liked the location for the easy walk to the buffet and the Great Outdoor Cafe.

My excitement at being able to grab these cabins for our upcoming cruise is causing me to procrastinate in doing more productive things that need to be done. Can't stop thinking now about these great cabins and am searching for posts about them. Does anyone have experience in these rooms? I am hoping that the balconies are fairly large and have 2 chairs and 2 loungers like someone suggested. I'm also hoping that some of the cold Alaskan wind will be blocked by being aft. Also, does anyone know if the balcony divider can be removed between these two cabins? And finally, is there an aft staircase for easy access? Thanks to anyone who can help me out here!!

We had the Jewel 10664 Suite & loved it. Our balcony was very large & had one lounger, one chair & ottoman & one table.

The dividers can't be removed, but being aft you have a great panoramic view.

Be aware that there is a step into the bathroom and the tub wall is pretty high & then it's a deep tub to step down into when taking a shower, so be careful. Luckily there are well placed grab bars to hold onto.

I always tell people this since one time a CC member wanted to book this Suite for his parents & had no idea that it didn't have a walk-in shower.

We loved this room, had plenty of space & loved the perks that went along with having a Suite.

But, there is no "easy access". You'll still have to walk to the elevators or stairs, but it's not that far away & the buffet/Great Outdoors is a quick trip up a couple floors.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all if you book one of these Suites.

We had the Jewel 10664 Suite & loved it. Our balcony was very large & had one lounger, one chair & ottoman & one table.

The dividers can't be removed, but being aft you have a great panoramic view.

Be aware that there is a step into the bathroom and the tub wall is pretty high & then it's a deep tub to step down into when taking a shower, so be careful. Luckily there are well placed grab bars to hold onto.

I always tell people this since one time a CC member wanted to book this Suite for his parents & had no idea that it didn't have a walk-in shower.

We loved this room, had plenty of space & loved the perks that went along with having a Suite.

But, there is no "easy access". You'll still have to walk to the elevators or stairs, but it's not that far away & the buffet/Great Outdoors is a quick trip up a couple floors.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all if you book one of these Suites.

I think you've confused your Penthouse suite with OP's cabins, which are aft balconies, not aft Penthouse. The Penthouse suite balcony is wider and accommodates two lounge chairs, etc. The balcony cabins usually only have room for 2 chairs. If they provide lounge chairs instead of uprights, so much the better (if not, maybe OP can ask for loungers instead of upright chairs). We love Penthouse suites, too, but if we were booking a mini- or regular balcony room, OP's post definitely made me look at their aft balconies on deck 10. They seem really cool!

We stayed in both cabins 10668 and 10128 on the Jewel. We would stay in them again and again. The balcony is very large and DOES hold 2 loungers and 2 chairs along with the little table. The balcony divider closest to the cabin can be opened (we saw it opened when we were departing and they were cleaning all the balconies). I have no clue if they will open the divider because we had no reason to ask. I took some pictures of the balcony but I am sending this from my cell phone. If you want me to post them here, please let me know and I will try to find them on my computer.Hopefully you will enjoy these cabins and the Jewel as much as we did.Tina

We stayed in both cabins 10668 and 10128 on the Jewel. We would stay in them again and again. The balcony is very large and DOES hold 2 loungers and 2 chairs along with the little table. The balcony divider closest to the cabin can be opened (we saw it opened when we were departing and they were cleaning all the balconies). I have no clue if they will open the divider because we had no reason to ask. I took some pictures of the balcony but I am sending this from my cell phone. If you want me to post them here, please let me know and I will try to find them on my computer.Hopefully you will enjoy these cabins and the Jewel as much as we did.Tina

Thanks, Tina, for the info! I'm so excited to know that others loved these rooms! I would love to see pics, but only if it is no trouble for you. Can't wait! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hi! I just booked Jewel's 10168 for Nov 2012 and would love to hear from you on how you found the room/balcony/view, etc.

Thank you!! :)

We stayed in 10666 last summer in the jewel. We had 2 lounge chairs and a small table. The last night we had the butler move our dining table out there and had dinner on the balcony. Or my husband might have moved it...there was plenty of room fr the two lounge chairs and a dining setup...I know that much :)

I have 10168 on the Jade next week for our Greek Isles cruise. I always take pictures of everything. I will come back and post some on here. I had a hard time trying to find pictures of the cabin myself. I actually upgraded to this cabin a couple weeks ago and was surprised to see it available.

Thanks, Tina, for the info! I'm so excited to know that others loved these rooms! I would love to see pics, but only if it is no trouble for you. Can't wait! Thanks again!

I will try to post these pictures, if I can figure it out.

We stayed in cabin 10168 on the Jewel in 2010 for 7 days then in 2011 we stayed in 10668 for 9 days also on the Jewel. Actually liked cabin 10168 slightly better, might be because we slept on the same side of the bed as at home ;)

We too, made sure that we left nothing out at night in the uncovered portion of the balcony so as not to find it wet in the morning from the Garden Cafe clean up.

We would book those cabins again without any hesitation. Water at night was a small price to pay for the windless balcony and the sound of the wake.

Tina

1986300304_10668JewelBalcony.JPG.875ef4c834e8aa0a226d3b291a2fda89.JPG

110987013_Cruise007.jpg.ba1d36345feb248e6ee62543b9349496.jpg

Just got back from the Pearl and we were in the suite 10166 - the room next door was 10168 - one of the cabins being asked about. These rooms are no larger than a standard balcony room and are between 2 and 3 ft shorter than the penthouse cabins on their sides - you see the hallway widens about that amount for those cabins - you can even see in on the deck plans. The balconys back there are nicely sheltered from the wind and for those two cabins is wider than a std balcony. I peeked over the divider once and saw they had different deck furnature (ours was rattan/bamboo) and there was one lounger, a chair and table. As for opeining the divider doors - heard people asking about it during embarkation and remember the steward saying he would do it.

If I were choosing a balcony cabin (non suite) it would be one of these.

I can tell you that it was wonderful having both of these aft cabins for our family! The downside: we are now ruined for future cabins and absolutely must have aft balconies now :D This was our 3rd Alaskan cruise with a balcony but the first time that we were not freezing our tails off. There is absolutely no wind, due to the location and it made such a difference for us in being able to sit outside as much as we wanted. The extra depth for these deck 10 balconies also helped us to not feel crowded, with 6 people in the 2 cabins. We were completely mesmerized by watching the wake and the sunsets, oh the sunsets! Also, we did not ask to have the balcony divider open. A borrowed butter knife from the buffet did the trick and, although our room steward cleaned the balcony daily, nothing was ever said to us about the divider being opened. I tried to get a picture to upload here but it keeps failing. Basically, it is more of a door way, rather than opening up the 2 decks completely but it does give you the freedom to walk back and forth between the two decks. Additionally, we had never actually seen what an upper bed was so we were pleasantly surprised to see that the cabins did sleep 4 people: 2 in the bed, 1 on the pullout bed, and 1 on the upper bed that was lowered by the room steward nightly. I'm trying to think of anything else that might be helpful for people to know when choosing these cabins. Oh yes, it is a bit of a walk from the elevators but we were travelling with our parents (one has had a knee replacement and the other uses a cane). The total walking that we did on the entire cruise did cause them some tiredness but it was still quite doable and I don't think they would have given up that aft view for anything! Being in the back of the ship had its perks too - I do believe that when it came time for glacier viewing, we were lucky enough to get the longest time to actually see the glacier, as the ship did a slow turn, not to mention the fact that we could see the scenery on both sides as we passed instead of just one side. We loved it! We are completely ruined now for any other cabins!

I can tell you that it was wonderful having both of these aft cabins for our family! The downside: we are now ruined for future cabins and absolutely must have aft balconies now :D This was our 3rd Alaskan cruise with a balcony but the first time that we were not freezing our tails off. There is absolutely no wind, due to the location and it made such a difference for us in being able to sit outside as much as we wanted. The extra depth for these deck 10 balconies also helped us to not feel crowded, with 6 people in the 2 cabins. We were completely mesmerized by watching the wake and the sunsets, oh the sunsets! Also, we did not ask to have the balcony divider open. A borrowed butter knife from the buffet did the trick and, although our room steward cleaned the balcony daily, nothing was ever said to us about the divider being opened. I tried to get a picture to upload here but it keeps failing. Basically, it is more of a door way, rather than opening up the 2 decks completely but it does give you the freedom to walk back and forth between the two decks. Additionally, we had never actually seen what an upper bed was so we were pleasantly surprised to see that the cabins did sleep 4 people: 2 in the bed, 1 on the pullout bed, and 1 on the upper bed that was lowered by the room steward nightly. I'm trying to think of anything else that might be helpful for people to know when choosing these cabins. Oh yes, it is a bit of a walk from the elevators but we were travelling with our parents (one has had a knee replacement and the other uses a cane). The total walking that we did on the entire cruise did cause them some tiredness but it was still quite doable and I don't think they would have given up that aft view for anything! Being in the back of the ship had its perks too - I do believe that when it came time for glacier viewing, we were lucky enough to get the longest time to actually see the glacier, as the ship did a slow turn, not to mention the fact that we could see the scenery on both sides as we passed instead of just one side. We loved it! We are completely ruined now for any other cabins!

Omg it sounds heavenly!!! I can't wait!! Countdown has started! :)) 10168 was the only one left when we called to book, so I'm quite giddy with excitement! Plus it's our wedding anniversary - honeymoon was on Jewel too! Giddy! Giddy! Giddy! :P

What was the dress code?

Our first time on Jewel, we were under dressed. During our time on the Star, we saw mostly casual, while we were slightly more formal (based on the past Jewel cruise). So am wondering what it was like for you on the Jewel.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
What was the dress code?

Our first time on Jewel, we were under dressed. During our time on the Star, we saw mostly casual, while we were slightly more formal (based on the past Jewel cruise). So am wondering what it was like for you on the Jewel.

Thanks!

On our first Jewel cruise the end of May to the Bahamas from New York, it was very casual.

Same time the following year, also on the Jewel, was 9 days to the Caribbean. Everything was much more formal. Thought NCL changed things, but now I am thinking it is the itinerary.

This past May on the Star to Bermuda, it was more formal than our Bahamas cruise, but less formal than the Caribbean.

Thinking about going on the Gem to the Caribbean next Spring also for 9 days.

:confused:

• 2 years later...
Omg it sounds heavenly!!! I can't wait!! Countdown has started! :)) 10168 was the only one left when we called to book, so I'm quite giddy with excitement! Plus it's our wedding anniversary - honeymoon was on Jewel too! Giddy! Giddy! Giddy! :P

I also have this balcony for July 18th Alaska cruise - any pictures, my first aft and first cruise to Alaska!

We just returned from the Gem sailing in #10168. The Jewel, Pearl, & Gem are the same class of ship. The balcony is approx. 7 x 10. This is just a guess. Yes, it is bigger than the side balconies.

I would NOT book this cabin again. The soot & garbage blowing down from the Great Outdoors really bothered me. Coffee stirrers, sugar & tea bag envelopes, coffee cups, etc. were an everyday happening. Every morning, we had water all over the balcony floor because the floors of the Great Outdoors had been washed down.

The walk from the Spinnaker Lounge or Stardust Theatre in the front of the ship back to the cabin was quite far.

The view is pretty, and watching the wake is interesting, but I wouldn't book this aft-facing cabin again. Mid-ship is preferable for me.