Take snacks off ship in Canada?

I was wondering if we are allowed to take snacks off the ship at Canadian ports. I know this wasn't allowed when we would travel to Mexico, and I would like to know the rules for Canada. We are looking at hiking the Fundy Trail during our stop at Saint John's, and I was wanting to take snacks along. Just wondered if I need to pack things or not. I would probably take little boxes of cereal from the buffet in the morning. Anyone know agricultural laws for Canada? Thanks!

I was wondering if we are allowed to take snacks off the ship at Canadian ports. I know this wasn't allowed when we would travel to Mexico, and I would like to know the rules for Canada. We are looking at hiking the Fundy Trail during our stop at Saint John's, and I was wanting to take snacks along. Just wondered if I need to pack things or not. I would probably take little boxes of cereal from the buffet in the morning. Anyone know agricultural laws for Canada? Thanks!

The Agriculture Canada rules for brining food into the country are listed at: http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml

Not certain if the cruise line has it's own rules.....

For snacks, any thing packaged is fine. Bananas and other fruit/veg (pineapples, citrus fruits, mangos, papayas, etc.) that do not grow in Canada are also fine, but not things that do like apples, pears, apricots, peaches, etc.

Just declare them with the CBSA officer to stay honest.

Thank you for the link and the information. It looks like it will be easiest to have packaged items. I've never had to declare anything at a port and don't feel like messing with that just to take some bananas.:)

Thank you for the link and the information. It looks like it will be easiest to have packaged items. I've never had to declare anything at a port and don't feel like messing with that just to take some bananas.:)

I would be surprised if you have problems with a few bananas.... They are more concerned about soil/dirt or bugs that may come along with fruit/vegetables.

It depends on if they consider that your cruise is from the US or being that the ship is in International waters, from outside of the US.

Assuming they consider it the US...

• one bag up to 4 kilograms of US number 1 potatoes per person and the bag must be commercially packaged
  • 15 packages or less up to 250 kilograms of fresh vegetables per person (excluding potatoes)
  • must be free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and/or plant debris
  • some restrictions on some fresh fruit and vegetables from California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
  • in British Columbia (BC): restrictions on fresh apples, stone fruit and potatoes

If it isn't....

• Depending on the country of origin, entry may be severely restricted or prohibited
  • a Plant Protection Import Permit from the country of origin may be required
  • must be free of all growing media, soil and/or related matter

Meat is severely restricted and often so is citrus. You MUST declare these items. Sometimes they have dogs out checking.

Archived