Seattle airport to Pier 91

usaspire

Hi everyone,

I am in a group of 4 going for Alaska cruise on June 1st. We get to Seattle at about 9AM but, our cruise does not leave until 4pm.

1. How is the best/cheapest way to get from SeaTac to the pier.

2. How can we kill some time in between? Keep in mind we will have our luggage with us.

Thank you

Take a cab from the airport to the Museum of Flight. You can stow your luggage there while you explore the museum. All ages enjoy this museum. There's a cafe if you want to have a snack before you take another cab to the pier. This would be an easy day for you after your morning arrival at SeaTac.

If you can easily manage your luggage the cheapest way to Seattle is via Light Rail. (It's a 10 minute walk from baggage claim to the Light Rail station which is why you must be able to manage your luggage.) $2.75 for a 40 minute ride downtown. Then you take a cab to Pier 66 for maybe $10-$15, and store you luggage with the pier staff. The storage fee is $3 per bag. Must be picked up by 3:30pm

If you can't manage your luggage, take a taxi or limo to Pier 66 for about $50. Stila towncar and Yellow Cab have the airport contracts if you want to verify prices. http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

Pier 66 is on the waterfront in downtown Seattle which will basically give you access to Seattle for the day. You can wander around the waterfront, or take the free bus #99 to Pioneer Square to see the free Goldrush Museum then on to Pike Place Market. From the Market walk 3 blocks up to Westlake Center and catch the monorail to the Seattle Center.

When you're done sightseeing. pick up your luggage and take a cab to Pier 91, about 4-5 miles way for about $10-$15.

Ok what I suggest may be contrary but I'd take the rail into downtown then give your luggage to a bell guy at the Westin, Sheraton, or any big hotel. They seldom if ever ask if your a guest. Just give them a tip and then sightsee Seattle. I like the Museum Idea, however if you only have a short time in Seattle and that all you have time to see I think there are better choices.

Let me briefly turn this into a tipping thread! :p

We are planning on taking a town car from our hotel to the pier. This is new to me. Should you tip the driver and if so how much?

usaspire- even though your cruise leaves at 4 pm you do need to be there earlier than that. Check with your cruise line as to how much time to allow to board. You don't want to miss the ship!!!

PNW, Which town car service do you use?

We are arriving in Seattle a day early and then also need to take transportation to Pier 91 from our hotel. Our son is visiting around the U of W area (or somewhere residential) and wonders if a town car service would transport him and his family to the pier?

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I am in a group of 4 going for Alaska cruise on June 1st. We get to Seattle at about 9AM but, our cruise does not leave until 4pm.

1. How is the best/cheapest way to get from SeaTac to the pier.

2. How can we kill some time in between? Keep in mind we will have our luggage with us.

Thank you

There are two piers. On June 1, RCI and Holland America will have ships departing from Pier 91, and Celebrity will have a ship departing from Pier 66.

Pier 66 is very close to downtown, so take a cab or towncar to the pier and if you can't check in right away you can store your bags at the concierge desk. Then walk across the street and down a block or two, then up the Pike Hillclimb to the Pike Place Market. Hang out, explore, eat, maybe buy some flowers for your cabin, then back down to the terminal when it's time to board.

Pier 91 is a couple of miles north of downtown and not really walkable from anywhere. You could do the same thing - taxi or towncar to the pier, then leave your bags with the concierge, then take a taxi back downtown for a couple hours' exploration; of course you'd have to taxi back to the pier when it's time to sail.

As an alternative, assuming you get to T91 around 10:30 - 11 (with a 9 AM arrival) I'd be inclined to walk over to the Smith Cove marina (directly west of the cruise piers, but a slightly indirect walk) and have a late breakfast or a snack at Maggie Bluffs, a cafe attached to the (more formal) Palisade restaurant. You can look out over a billion dollars or so worth of idle sailboats in the marina, but it's a good walk and the little waterfront park there gives a great view of the city skyline, the cruise ships, Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains; even Mt. Rainier if it's visible (which it probably won't be tomorrow.) It's way easier and less hassle than schlepping all the way downtown only to have to turn around and come back.

Or you could do as others have suggested - come downtown and leave the bags at a hotel where the concierge will store them for a small fee, then walk around and return for them, then taxi to the pier.

Or you could taxi to the Museum of Flight and leave your bags at the entrance, visit the museum, then taxi to the pier when it's time.

Or, if you want to save money but at the expense of additional hassle and significantly more time, you can skip the taxi/towncar from the airport and instead walk through the parking garage to the airport light rail station, then take the light rail to the Westlake stop, come up to the street and find a cab or two (with 4 and luggage you probably won't fit in one taxi) to take you to either cruise terminal. Once their you can refer to the above for your options. Note the light rail is intended more for commuters than travelers with lots of luggage, but assuming you're leaving the airport around 10 AM (if landing at 9) then the trains probably won't be very crowded.

The forecast for tomorrow is showers, 30% rain chance, so I'd have a rain plan in mind as a backup.

We live in Seattle and use town cars for airport transport. We tip a minimum of 10% and usually round up. Service is always great. Nicest and easiest transport available.

I figured as much. Thanks for the info. We will take care of our driver. :)

Archived