Are they more easy going with the dress code on the first night?

pampaul

I know on other lines, the dress code isn't as "strict" as on the other nights. I guess due to people maybe not getting their luggage in time?

What about Disney? Do they allow you to wear whatever (within reason) to dinner that night, say what you've worn for that day?

Yes.

You will see people in all manor of dress every night. With the acception of formal night DCL is very relaxed in their dress codes for dinner.

Basically no shorts, torn up jeans, or tank top type shirts.

Pull overs or button up shirts for men, dockers, dress jeans or slacks are all ok. Ladies are casual too. Most wear slacks and a nice blouse and fit in just fine.

Unfortunately a few push the limits and dont dress a snice as they should and Disney doesn't say anything to them. Most dress nice. But have a good look around and by the end of the crusie you will see people dressed in every manor of clothing you can think of

Once on formal night we saw a man in a white t-shirt and old blue jeans . His family was dressed really nice but he wasnt. He really got some stares from people. I hoped he may have had some kind of mental disability that was behind is dress but he seemed normal to hear him talk and walk around the ship.

Most pack slacks and a nice shirt/blouse in their carry on for the firs tnight, just in case luggage doesnt arrive in time. Usually by 6 P.M. everyone has their luggage. Ours has always arrived before we left port at 5 p.m.

They are very lax, every single night, even on the "formal" nights. "Formal" night on a Disney cruise is like every other night on our other cruises. People regularly wore shorts to dinner, even men.

I certainly agree with the above statement. I even asked our Head Waiter on the Fantasy about "dress codes" and he just put up his hands to indicate they don't do anything about it. I was surprised to see so many people with shorts and T-shirts in the dining rooms in the evenings. Definitely not like the other lines.

I certainly agree with the above statement. I even asked our Head Waiter on the Fantasy about "dress codes" and he just put up his hands to indicate they don't do anything about it. I was surprised to see so many people with shorts and T-shirts in the dining rooms in the evenings. Definitely not like the other lines.

Wow, really? I am NOT one to dress up while at home. EVER!!! But when we go on a cruise, I do enjoy a little bit of "dressy". Hubby will wear his suit during formal night and just black pants with a button down shirt on casual nights. I wear black dress pants with a dressy top for formal nights. On casual nights, it's just capris with a regular top. I've never had a problem. But I was just curious on that first night. We've been on 5 cruises so far and we've always got our luggage before dinner, but there's always that off chance that we don't. So I'm just wondering if they say much with what you wear that first night. Doesn't sound like they would. Good to know.

Yes.

Once on formal night we saw a man in a white t-shirt and old blue jeans . His family was dressed really nice but he wasnt. He really got some stares from people. I hoped he may have had some kind of mental disability that was behind is dress but he seemed normal to hear him talk and walk around the ship.

What a terrible thing to say. For the life of me I don't get why some people get so caught up in what other people wear. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of my meal or cruise in any manner.

What is the dress code for children, especially on formal nights. Should I bring a collared shirt for my 11 yr old each night or is it more relaxed for the kids. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Docker type pants with a collared shirt would be nice. I've even seen some young men wear a tie with their collared shirt on formal night and some wear suits..

Disney's dress code on their ships is much like their parks / resorts- that's what I am told all the time. As a TA - I just toured the Magic and was told this again by the cast members. It's easy for folks to pack for a WDW stay then a cruise.

You will see all types of dress in the restaurants - don't let it bother you.

For the life of me I don't get why some people get so caught up in what other people wear. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of my meal or cruise in any manner.

So, do you comply with the dress suggestions or do you assume that others feel the same way as you?

The entire purpose of the dress suggestions is that the Line is trying to set a mood for the evening. They do it because it's a cruising tradition and a lot of passengers enjoy being on a ship full of well dressed people once or twice per cruise. If the passengers didn't want it, they wouldn't do it.

Those that take the attitude that they can wear whatever they want for whatever reason are frankly being rude to their fellow passengers.

DCL doesn't enforce the dress suggestions becuause they're exercising good manners by not making their guests feel uncomfortable.

So, do you comply with the dress suggestions or do you assume that others feel the same way as you?

The entire purpose of the dress suggestions is that the Line is trying to set a mood for the evening. They do it because it's a cruising tradition and a lot of passengers enjoy being on a ship full of well dressed people once or twice per cruise. If the passengers didn't want it, they wouldn't do it.

Those that take the attitude that they can wear whatever they want for whatever reason are frankly being rude to their fellow passengers.

DCL doesn't enforce the dress suggestions becuause they're exercising good manners by not making their guests feel uncomfortable.

I have been on two cruises so far, both with Carnival. We did dress up on elegant night, the other nights I typically wore khakis or dress shorts with a polo/golf shirt. I don't care what others decide to wear, that is their choice.

The key thing you are missing is on many of the lines these are suggestions or guidelines not hard and fast dress codes. The cruise lines area adapting to the wishes of their clientele by moving away from the traditional formal nights.

If you want to dress up every night, more power to you just don;t expect everyone to be like you. If you want everyone to dress up every night, you may want to look for a more exclusive cruise line.

I have been on two cruises so far, both with Carnival. We did dress up on elegant night, the other nights I typically wore khakis or dress shorts with a polo/golf shirt. I don't care what others decide to wear, that is their choice.

The key thing you are missing is on many of the lines these are suggestions or guidelines not hard and fast dress codes. The cruise lines area adapting to the wishes of their clientele by moving away from the traditional formal nights.

If you want to dress up every night, more power to you just don;t expect everyone to be like you. If you want everyone to dress up every night, you may want to look for a more exclusive cruise line.

:) I appreciate that you play along on dress up night.

The lines, including DCL make them guidelines because they want to free themselves from being tough on their customers. There may be reasons why someone can't dress for dinner such as a packing malfunction. They don't want their guests to miss out on one of the high points of a cruise.

I have little regard for those that don't at least try to comply with the guidelines for selfish reasons such as "I paid a lot for this cruise so I'll do what I want!" or "I can't afford a pair of slacks." (I've seen both here)

:) I appreciate that you play along on dress up night.

The lines, including DCL make them guidelines because they want to free themselves from being tough on their customers. There may be reasons why someone can't dress for dinner such as a packing malfunction. They don't want their guests to miss out on one of the high points of a cruise.

I have little regard for those that don't at least try to comply with the guidelines for selfish reasons such as "I paid a lot for this cruise so I'll do what I want!" or "I can't afford a pair of slacks." (I've seen both here)

I don't think they are doing it to avoid being tough on their customers but rather to change with the wishes of their customers. Cruising is no longer the sole dominion of the rich and many of today's cruisers do not want to or don't feel the need to dress up while on vacation. Many cruise lines target these customers and have changed their policies.

If you want everyone to dress up every night, you may want to look for a more exclusive cruise line.

I have been on the more exclusive cruise lines as you said including Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Crystal,Holand America & Cunard.

Most enjoy dressing up and feeling special. I have seen those with shorts on various lines told to leave !

Hi there

They are very lenient with dress code. My husband's luggage didn't arrive in time for dinner, he had to go to the restaurant in his travel clothes - shorts, tshirt and flip flops!!! He was really embarrassed and we apologised to our servers, but to be honest he didn't look out of place!

People are very opinionated about dress codes on these boards, it made me really worried about not packing the right clothes but worse things can happen at sea!

Enjoy!

I don't think they are doing it to avoid being tough on their customers but rather to change with the wishes of their customers. Cruising is no longer the sole dominion of the rich and many of today's cruisers do not want to or don't feel the need to dress up while on vacation. Many cruise lines target these customers and have changed their policies.

They have eased the guidelines a little since the Magic first got underway, notably in Palo. Disney is constantly surveying their guests so if dress-up nights drop in popularity, they'll adapt.

Until then, we'll be dressing up.

Archived