Rome DIY on a Sunday?????

buzzybuzzbuzz

Hi Guys and Gals in Cruiser Land,

We are in port on a Sunday and I want to do DIY where possible as we want to get a real feel for each port, the problem is that we are in Citivtavecchia and the Rome train schedule seems to be a reduced service.

Anyone have any expericences they wish to share in order to build up my confidence?

Anyone?

You might want to post this in Italy as opposed to France.

Hi Guys and Gals in Cruiser Land,

We are in port on a Sunday and I want to do DIY where possible as we want to get a real feel for each port, the problem is that we are in Citivtavecchia and the Rome train schedule seems to be a reduced service.

Anyone have any expericences they wish to share in order to build up my confidence?

Anyone?

Have done it too many times on Sundays (our last 3 cruises into Civitavecchia happened on Sundays). The reduced train schedule is not a biggie since there are still enough trains (and they are not too crowded on Sundays). Depending on how early you are in port the 8:02 or 8:41 are both good options. Returns at 4:12pm or 4:42 are good options for most cruises. Even on Sunday you can purchase a 9 Euro BIRG ticket which will cover the round trip train and all days use of Rome's Metro and buses. Although Sunday in Rome is not a good shopping day and the Vatican Museum is closed (except the last Sunday of the month when its a zoo) there are plenty of things to see. For museum lovers we often recommend going over to the Villa Borghese (and surrounding park). This museum has timed admissions so its best to purchase tickets in advance (on line).

Hank

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the confidence boost, I will aim for the 4:12pm train returning to Civi.

I always respect your and Terry's (TLC Ohio) opinions, we are quite adventurous and keen to get a feel for the real Italy.

I have seen you talk about having a plan B but wondered how detailed is your plan B, do you research trains/flights ahead?

Regards Shaun

The thing about "Plan B" is nobody ever talks about it :) In our case the answer really depends on the port and where the ship is scheduled to be the following day (in case we ever miss the ship). Obviously one should always have some cash, an ATM card, and a major credit card (MC or Visa is best). In the case of Rome, "Plan B" would come into motion if we were to miss the train or the trains were not running for some reason. At that point we would "bit the bullet" and grab a taxi back to the ship (more then 100 Euros). Regarding getting to another port (in case you miss the ship) we really do not worry too much as long as the ship is staying in Europe. If we miss the ship on an island such as Malta then this is a different issue. In those situations we are very conservative and make sure we are back near the port in plenty of time. To put it in very simple terms the so-called "Plan B" is primarily common sense and knowing all of your options.

We do have some situations where we want to do something that is more risky then normal and increses the chance of missing the ship. We only do that kind of thing when we know its relatively easy to catch the ship the following day and we might actually research the train schedules or rental car options in advance.

Hank

I have never understood why people are so afraid to be in any city on a Sunday.Thye do not shut down,trains run on a different schedule is all just like here in the US so one just plans accordingly.Sometimes Sunday's can be great days in a city.Just my thought for th day.

Hey Hank:D

Hey there Mr. Berge :) Totally agree with you about Sundays. For other then shoppers it can be a good day. In fact, we often prefer Sundays to Mondays when even more stuff can be closed.

Hank

I have never understood why people are so afraid to be in any city on a Sunday.Thye do not shut down,trains run on a different schedule is all just like here in the US so one just plans accordingly.Sometimes Sunday's can be great days in a city.Just my thought for th day.

Hey Hank:D

Hello Karen

The only real differnce as you point out is the schedule, but there are half as many train services to choose from in our alloted return slot. I wondered if they can cope with the extra volume if there are 2 or 3 ships in port that day.

I am pretty sure that the 4:12pm train will be a popular choice for those returning that day.

Thanks for everyones info.

Hello Karen

The only real differnce as you point out is the schedule, but there are half as many train services to choose from in our alloted return slot. I wondered if they can cope with the extra volume if there are 2 or 3 ships in port that day.

I am pretty sure that the 4:12pm train will be a popular choice for those returning that day.

Thanks for everyones info.

Karen, although we understand your concern please keep in mind that Italy is a pretty large country, Rome is a place where there are nearly 3 million souls (many more when you include the surrounding region) and a few cruise ships are just a minor blip on the radar screens. In other words, the number of cruise passengers using the trains will not be much of an issue. The regional trains that run through Civitavecchia to Rome are essentially commuter trains (many folks commute to work on these trains) and the demand for the trains on Sundays is minimal when compared to work days. Hence, the schedule is reduced (primarily around rush hours) because there is no need. There are no reserved seats on the regional trains and even when they are very crowded (unlikely on Sunday) there is always standing room. Nobody is turned away from these trains (even during crowded rush hours) and they just pack themselves in as needed :)

Another nice thing about Civitavecchia is that the train station is within an easy walk to the port (where you can then get free shuttle buses to your ship) so you do not have to depend on taxis. It is a different story in Livorno where one has to consider the ability to get a taxi back to the ship during the busy late afternoon.

Hank

Archived