Canadian Passport or not?

Az_Redneck

Hello all.. Long time no see (haven't been on a cruise in a while)..

Anyway, I was re-married a year ago to a Canadian resident alien who doesn't have a passport, but she does have a valid alien resident card. If we were to take a cruise to Jamaica, should she have her passport or will her alien card be enough? I'm probably answering the question myself, but I think it might just be safer to just get her passport. What say you?

Get the passport. If she doesn't have one make sure she tells the photographer she needs pictures for a CANADIAN passport. I know it sounds obvious but you wouldn't believe how difficult it I'd to get them to understand that the requirements are different. I'm in the same boat as your wife, legal permanent resident but still Canadian citizen. Fwiw Sears photography studios have requirements for many different countries on file and were great to deal with.

Edit: I let mine lapse last year and it still only took about 3 weeks to get back. Stinks that ours are only good for 5 years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but to go to Canada, you need a passport, and to get back you need one, so my guess, is that you were here before the new laws are in affect, and never had a passport. So if you needed to go back to Canada, you would need it.

It sounds really confusing, so I would get it, because I could see the first question is how did you get to the US (even with your ID) and not have a passport!

Hello all.. Long time no see (haven't been on a cruise in a while)..

Anyway, I was re-married a year ago to a Canadian resident alien who doesn't have a passport, but she does have a valid alien resident card. If we were to take a cruise to Jamaica, should she have her passport or will her alien card be enough? I'm probably answering the question myself, but I think it might just be safer to just get her passport. What say you?

Use this link to get information on how and where to get or renew a passport:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/index.aspx?lang=eng

Archived