NYC terminal advice and help needed...

ZIPBAGS

I am going on my first cruise. Triumph out of NY to Canada on July 30. I am just wondering what I should expect at the terminal, any other hints and what I need to do? We leave on a Saturday so we shouldn't hit to much rush hour traffic.

Thanks!

A good place to find out info for NYC departures is at http://www.nypst.com

I checked it out and yours is the only ship sailing that day so you shouldn't have to much to deal with. The website explains everything including parking, directions etc.

Have a great cruise...

I am going on my first cruise. Triumph out of NY to Canada on July 30. I am just wondering what I should expect at the terminal, any other hints and what I need to do? We leave on a Saturday so we shouldn't hit to much rush hour traffic.

Thanks!

What you need to do is just be patient and know that no matter what happens in the terminal, once you get on the ship, you'll forget about the boarding fiasco.

As far as 'rush hour' traffic...I think NYC has rush hour traffic 24/7, so just give yourself a lot of time. You'll be fine!

Have a nice cruise!! :D

A good place to find out info for NYC departures is at www.nypst.com

I checked it out and yours is the only ship sailing that day so you shouldn't have to much to deal with. The website explains everything including parking, directions etc.

Have a great cruise...

Thanks for the info. I didn't know more that one ship would have left from there.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know more that one ship would have left from there.

We had 5 in port on our last cruise. Not pretty, but we timed it just right, and was parked and on line in 15 minutes. Was on the ship an hour later.

:eek:

In Oct 04, We left Philadelphia at 8:30am on a Friday and flew up with no traffic. Took approx 1hr and 45 minutes due to our stop for bathroom. We were the 2nd group in line. Parked our car on top at an empty lot and were held in a different pier (2 down) then where we were going to board. Had about a 2hr wait to board since the ship was late but at least we were not in traffic.

We found that embarcation with one ship in port (a Monday) was relatively easy, although I wish I had known that we should have dropped off our luggage with a porter before parking the car. Disembarcation with 3 ships in port (a Saturday) was a nightmare!

This laid-back Southern Californian had a hell of a time with embarkation as well as debarkation in NYC last Fall, but

I loved every minute of it. What a great city ! :) Truly the Capitol of the World. :D

• 3 weeks later...

ZIPBAGS,

Even though you are leaving on a Saturday with only one ship in port, BEWARE there are always at least 2 street fairs on Saturday and Sunday EVERY weekend in NYC. What this does is divert traffic around the event -- closing some streets and restricting access to others. This means getting to the west side where the ship is becomes a game of strategy.

Best advise -- head to 59th Street and go west. Why? Because the entrance to the port starts at 59th Street and once you get to 59th Street and go west it becomes a matter of driving until you find where your ship is docked.

If you try going to 55th Street and then going west, you may find yourself directed up and around to 59th Street by NYPD. So save yourself the trouble and go to 59th Street and head west.

MARAPRINCE

We're on the Triumph out of NYC on June 18. Driving in from CT...not sure if that's a mistake or not. I hate NYC traffic! But the train plus a taxi would cost the same as driving down and parking at the terminal for the duration and for some reason my husband wants to drive.

Isn't the passenger ship terminal near the Intrepid museum? I managed to make that drive on a Saturday without killing myself or anyone else. :D

I am nervous about this, but we're planning to arrive very early. And we have an EZPass which usually makes the wait shorter at the tolls. To be honest I'm still hoping for a nice train ride...

And we have heard the porters are very rude and pushy about getting a large tip. We're just going to give in and tip big...I don't want my luggage being shoved into the river.

not sure if that's a mistake or not.

Isn't the passenger ship terminal near the Intrepid museum?

Yes, it's just north of the Intrepid. Make sure you come down the Henry Hudson Pkwy, with an arrival time about 11:00. Then you should be fine. And don't fret. It's not THAT bad.

• 2 weeks later...

From Private Vehicles:

Passengers arriving by Private Vehicle should drive up the 54th Street Viaduct Ramp to the Receiving Area adjacent to their Cruise Vessel’s Berth. Signs identifying the Vessel are posted on pillars nearest the proper berth. Baggage will be received there by Porters and taken directly to the Vessel. Passengers can then transit inside the Pier to the Embarkation Desks of the Cruise Line to complete the Boarding Process.

Upon Returning From The Cruise:

As Passengers arrive at the Pier they enter the same Customs Hall from which they had originally embarked. Their Baggage will have been positioned by Porters under appropriate signs coded by Letter, Cabin Number or Color depending on system followed by Cruise Line. After selecting their bags they proceed past Customs Inspector and rendering their Customs Declaration assisted by Porter according to their preference.

Archived