Options for Divers and Snorkelers toghether? Southern Caribbean

DareTooDream

Hi!

I have done some reading on here but haven't come to any conclusions. There's more snorkel info than dive info.

We are a group of 14 (all adults) traveling next spring. Five are certified divers and there may be 1-3 more by then. None have dived in the Caribbean yet. There a couple of snorkelers in the group and a few that will just chill. The ports are La Romana, Curacao (2pm-11pm), Grand Turk and Aruba.

I'm wondering in each port if there is an option for snorkelers and divers together - is there a nice beach where the chillers could chill, the snorkelers snorkel and the divers shore dive? OR is there a boat you know of that we could possibly charter that would take us to a nice dive/snorkel area? OR in order for the divers to get the best out of their dives should we separate? Mind you - it's not a problem for us at all to separate.

How would you rank the ports for diving? I don't know if they'll dive all 4 ports. Which would be the do not miss dives?

I read so much last night I'm just confused. One of the ports has the Dive Bus - sounded like nice shore diving, ok but not great snorkeling, but not a nice beach area for the chillers. Then I think I was reading about Aruba and it sounded like the best diving would be from a boat and I believe the snorkeling was not good out in the best dive area.

What ever insight you could share would be appreciated.

Sherry

There is a nice beach area near the Dive Bus. The Dive Bus is not located on the beach, but rather across the street. There are two nice restaurants where you cross the street to go dive/snorkel and the beach is right below the restaurants.

There is a nice beach area near the Dive Bus. The Dive Bus is not located on the beach, but rather across the street. There are two nice restaurants where you cross the street to go dive/snorkel and the beach is right below the restaurants.

Thanks! Do you know if there are chairs for rent? Bathrooms?

We are in Curacao from 2pm-11pm. I googled sunset for next March and it said 6:11pm but noted that doesn't take into account daylight savings time. Since we don't get in until 2 do you think there's enough time for the divers to get a dive in? I would think so but I don't know.

I don't know about the chairs and the bathrooms, but I'm guessing they are. When you face the beach from the Dive Bus, the nicer beach is to the left. I do remember seeing people on chairs down there.

It takes about 20 minutes to get to the dive shop, so you should have plenty of time to get in a dive. Contact the Dive Bus and they will work with you, it's a great shop!

Just a heads up on the divers and snorkelers sharing a boat. My husband dives and I snorkel and we've tried this a few times in the past. My experience has been that the dive boat caters to the divers. I was usually snorkeling in water too deep to see much, even after we asked how good the snorkeling would be. I felt we were told it would be fine just to get me to pay.

Granted, I was the only snorkeler on a boat of divers, so if you have more snorkelers than divers, maybe that would be a better situation.

Have fun whatever you decide. :)

The Dive Bus is shore diving, so divers and snorklers can mix. BTW, if you dive in Grand Turk, avoid Oasis Divers. They were the contracted Carnival and HAL operator, but they were horrible when we dove with them and a couple weeks later their incompetence led to the death of a discover scuba student on an excursion.

Just a heads up on the divers and snorkelers sharing a boat. My husband dives and I snorkel and we've tried this a few times in the past. My experience has been that the dive boat caters to the divers. I was usually snorkeling in water too deep to see much, even after we asked how good the snorkeling would be. I felt we were told it would be fine just to get me to pay.

This is one of my concerns. I was told by a tour operator in Grand Turk (not Oasis) that "Many of the dive sites in Grand Turk are excellent for both diving and snorkeling without compromise to each groups experience." I don't want to purposely put someone in a mediocre situation. I do realize there's no guarantee on seeing fish no matter where you snorkel. I'm sure we'll all have fun no matter what we do - we will be on vacation after all.

The Dive Bus is shore diving, so divers and snorklers can mix. BTW, if you dive in Grand Turk, avoid Oasis Divers. They were the contracted Carnival and HAL operator, but they were horrible when we dove with them and a couple weeks later their incompetence led to the death of a discover scuba student on an excursion.

Thanks for that info!

Of that list, Grand Turk should have the best diving and snorkling! They have gorgeous water! Google dive shops in Grand Turk and see if any of them do snorkeling excursions as well. Find a company you like, and email them and see if they have any suggestions for working with you. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to Curacao, you absolutely have to spend your day with Suzy and Mark at The Dive Bus. The underwater scenery is incredible, and everyone there is a hoot. Have your snorkelers all sign up for the guided snorkel tour - it's really good, and they will see all the cool critters that hang out on their house reef.

If you tell them that Wendy & Keith and the rest of the folks from the CC scuba and snorkeling board sent you, they will let you come anyway. ;)

Now that I look at your time - 2 to 11pm... you can even do a night dive! I'm so jealous... take me with you!

As far as Grand Turk is concerned, we only dove there once, and it was through a Princess excursion with Oasis Divers. I had a little private chat with the DM, and they were OK with my folks being our own group. We pretty much did our own thing and had a decent dive.

I think Grand Turk would be amenable for a mixed snorkeling/diving trip, but unless you have a strange port time (we did) you probably would be better to consider booking your own private boat.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

We have been diving with Suzy and Mark of the Dive Bus four or five times. They are great. Furthermore they are great for both divers and snorklers.

We are divers but I have spoken with members of three separate groups that took their guided snorkeling tour. All of them had nothing but good things to say about their experience.

We continue to dive with Suzy and Mark's operation because they are so much fun to be around. We have been cruising and diving in the Caribbean for almost ten years. During this period we have had the opportunity to dive with many different operators. Suzy and Mark are far and away THE most fun operation and one of the most professional operations out there.

If your entire party goes snorkeling and diving with the Dive Bus you won't regret it. If you don't go diving with them you might end up wondering what you missed.

:):):)

I agree with previous posters. In Curacao The Dive Bus is THE place to go. Such nice people and so much fun. Oh, and the diving is :p good too.

My son's battery on his dive computer died mid cruise. The Dive Bus shop did not have the size battery he needed so Suzy let him use one of their computers. After our dives we had some time to kill and while relaxing at their shop Suzy asked if we had more diving on our cruise. Since we had more dives scheduled she drove us to the local store to purchase the needed battery so he would be able to use his own computer on our subsequent dives. It is always nice to be able to use your own familiar equipment and we sure appreciated her going out of her way like that.

Archived