Dawn in February from Tampa to Western Caribbean

Thinking about taking the Dawn next February from Tampa to the western Caribbean. How is this journey? Is it easy to get to the cruiseport from the airport? Has anybody enjoyed this boat in February on this route? We have never been to this area, will it be warm in February? Any highlights of the boat or trip to share would be appreciated.

Thank you! :rolleyes:

Hello, I live in the Tampa area. I have the Dawn booked for March. The Dawn has not been to Tampa before. The Star went out of her last Caribbean season.

It is about a 20 minute drive from the airport. Tampa has a great port location, right downtown.

The weather in Tampa can go either way in February. Last winter was very warm with only really 4 cold days. The weather sites say average February temps are low in the 50's and high in the 70's. The last time we took this route was January 2011. It was cool when we left Tampa and rainy and cool in Cozumel. The rest of the cruise was sunny and wam.

We've been this route with Carnival 4 times. It is one of my favorites. The Western Caribbean is rich with Mayan history and beautiful coral reefs.

ive been looking at this cruise also.. leaving from tampa is a easier drive that miami but ccl has the glory out of miami and its cheaper almost the same cruise switch out costa maya for grand caymen.. still alot of planning to do..

Ive only sailed NCL..

ive been looking at this cruise also.. leaving from tampa is a easier drive that miami but ccl has the glory out of miami and its cheaper almost the same cruise switch out costa maya for grand caymen.. still alot of planning to do..

Ive only sailed NCL..

I know some cruisers love Grand Cayman. It has nice beaches and sting rays. IMHO, it is too much like Florida. Costa Maya has great Mayan ruins. I've been on the Glory. It's a nice ship.

I'm predominately a Carnival cruiser, so NCL is a change for me. I picked the Dawn over the Legend, because of Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. When I booked, the Dawn was cheaper than the Legend for me.

I know some cruisers love Grand Cayman. It has nice beaches and sting rays. IMHO, it is too much like Florida. Costa Maya has great Mayan ruins. I've been on the Glory. It's a nice ship.

I'm predominately a Carnival cruiser, so NCL is a change for me. I picked the Dawn over the Legend, because of Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. When I booked, the Dawn was cheaper than the Legend for me.

Last cruise we missed grand cayman because of bad weather.. I just seen the carnival cruise from tampa is the same from miami.. I dunno what we will do We both have ncl credit cards and points so it will probably be NCL for us.. !just have to decide between the 2 ports grand caymen costa maya!

We did the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Star this January and had a blast. I much prefer it to the Eastern, as there is much more history and culture to be enjoyed in port. The weather can be hit and miss, but we had warm weather (even in Tampa!) with a warm rainy day in Roatan.

The port of Tampa is very easy to access from the airport, taxis are plentiful and cost is reasonable ($25 flat rate from airport to downtown where the port is). The Tampa airport is well set up, lots of options to eat before and after security, and has free wifi :)

My DH & I did a similar Western itinerary (Cozumel, Belize, Guatemala, Key West) on the Sun (out of Orlando) last February - the weather was TERRIFIC! Very warm - 80s - in Belize and Guatemala. We went snorkeling in Cozumel and the water was very pleasant.

I agree with the poster who said they liked the Western better than the Eastern - we booked another Western on the Dawn for this winter.

Enjoy!!

I did this itinerary in November and the 4 of us are doing it again with 2 more people. I hired Gerry for the day in Cozumel for a private tour and had a great time but we will be going to Nachi this time. Maya Chan Beach in Costa Maya was the main reason to do this cruise again but book early as they have a 40 guest maximum. Rony's tours in Roatan was wonderful and we will be using them again for our party of 6 (his mom's restaurant was the best meal of the whole week). In Belize we did a ship tour to the Lamanai ruins because of the distance from the port and we caught the last tender back.

Archived