vancouver--favorite hotels?

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so most of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place and a 6 block walk from a Canada Line Station . But here is a list of some:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Fairmont Vancouver

Tower at the Terminal City Club

Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place

Sheraton at the Wall Centre

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

(I know I have left the Coast Coal Harbour out, Ut:))

I would avoid the Granville Entertainment Dist late at night when the bars and clubs let out. Wouldn't walk in Stanley Park at night. The area between Gastown and Chinatown is a bit scuzzy and the area on Hastings St. east of about Carrall St. is very scuzzy.

The Pan Pacific is our favorite there. It is a very nice hotel and we love its convenience to the cruise ship terminal. Walk to Gastown is about ten minutes from there. Walk to Stanley Park is about 45 minutes each way.

The one thing I noticed more this time (we were there in April) was more street people. It wasn't terrible but it was just more noticeable. In that situation we just crossed the street and went in another direction.

Keith

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront before our cruise and loved the hotel, especially staying in Gold rooms with use of the wonderful Gold Lounge and patio overlooking Canada Place. The HOHO Trolley is right across the street which we used both days (special on line of buy one day get second free) - the drivers are a wealth of knowledge which I don't believe you get on the HOHO buses. We just walked across the street to the cruise terminal. Wonderful city!!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Fairmont Waterfront...Incidently another nice feature of the hotel is they will transfer your luggage across the street to the pier just like the Pan Pacific does.

We just returned from a stay at the Pan Pacific, and it was FABULOUS! Very nice place, UBER convenient, and great staff. Anywhere in that area would be convenient, but it was a wonderful, relaxing way to start the cruise. The bellmen were excellent, and as an aside, my 9 year old pointed out they change the elevator rugs to indicate what day it was!

From this hotel, we walked to Gastown, enjoyed a great meal at Steamworks (Thanks Putterdude!) and walked over to the Steam Clock and generally enjoyed the area. Just down the way from the hotel was also a great gellato place-Bella Gelateria I think. Great flavors and made there.

In the morning, right next door there was a great place for breakfast , the Bellagio, and from there we walked the seawall and did a Horse Drawn Carriage ride in Stanley Park. Only wish we had more time. It is a great city, and the people are the reason that we are already planning to return to vacation there, perhaps without a cruise attached, but likely after a southbound AK cruise. :D

Enjoy your trip!

Do you happen to know if any of these hotels offer day rates? the ship docks at 7am and our flight leaves at 8pm so we have 13 hours so play with! It would be great to be able to dump bags, freshen up, eat, nap before our epic flight back to Oz.

Do you happen to know if any of these hotels offer day rates? the ship docks at 7am and our flight leaves at 8pm so we have 13 hours so play with! It would be great to be able to dump bags, freshen up, eat, nap before our epic flight back to Oz.

Excellent question and one we do get asked once or twice a year, the short answer is "I don't know". What I would suggest is that you contact some of the larger hotels like the Pan Pacific, Four Seasons, and Fairmont's Waterfront, Pacific Rim, and Hotel Vancouver. Failing that I would think that Fairmont's Airport Hotel would have some.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be staying at the Comfort Inn Downtown (Comfort Inn Downtown(CN393)

654 Nelson Street, Vancouver, BC). How is this area? Do we need to be in by dark, lol? We will be arriving around 7pm the Sunday night before our cruise on Monday. Thanks for any info on the hotel and its surroundings!

You are right in the middle of our entertainment district and the street scene will be active - while it is a Sunday night there will still be lot's of people out on the street - the area is safe - I live fairly close but there are street people panhandling who for the most part are nothing more than a nuisance - just ignore than and keep walking - the hotel is an older property that has had several reincarnations over the years.

Local poster Putterdude is well aware of this property and will be along with his thoughts shortly.

Did you get this property through Priceline or Hotwire or are you using Choice Hotels points - if the latter you might want to consider the Quality Inn on Howe as a better option - only 3 blocks away but much quieter.

However as it is only one night you should be okay with the Comfort inn.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Dennis

I wouldn't wouldn't care to stay at the Comfort Inn Downtown and certainly not with my wife. With a mid-July rack rate of $175 there are much better deals available on Hotwire....in fact right now they are showing 2 hotels in the Downtown West zone, a 3* at $109 and a 4* at $163.

My hands down choice would be the Pan Pacific. We have stayed there twice in the last ten months and were more than pleased. We liked being able to step out on the terrace and view the cruise ships.

They will deliver your luggage to the ship and a bellman is waiting by the hotel's terminal entrance when you disembark. He will take your luggage right there if you are checking in.

Archived