ferry to cruise ship

If you drove by my place on your way to UBC you were going the wrong way on a one way street but since I think you mean you were on Howe as you can see with the cranes I am losing all of my views - it hard to wave if I don`t know you were coming.

Cheers

Dennis

The thing that get conveniently overlooked in the debate re PCL vs. transit is the real cost. TransClunks 2011 statements...

I pointed out that PCL have

• Raised their fares by 75% in the last 10 years; resulting in fares which are between 5x and 7x higher vs the alternative.

• Lowered their service by nearly 50% (from 15 trips/day to 8/day)

Governments create transit systems because while they seem expensive, they're cheaper than the alternative of building more road infrastructure.

As someone who lives on the far side of a subsidized ferry route, why are you trying to make a political issue out of this?

I am not attempting to be political at all, I am just pointing out facts you evidently would like to ignore.

The bottom line is that transit's real cost is twice what it collects in fares.....and that number would be even worse if we were to add in transit's proportionate share of TransClunks corporate expenses of $70.4m plus some $212m in interest, depreciation and debt payment.....all of which a private provider like PCL has to cover in their fares. In addtion PCL has to pay the fuel taxes and hydro surcharges that go to subsidize Tansclunk.

I get such a kick out of you two, with your good-natured kidding, as well as your business & political insights and acumen.

O.K. Time to educate this Angeleno. I suppose the TransClunks is a euphenism for some corporation. Clue me in as to their original name, please.

And, PCL. Is that the bus company? My first thought was Princess Cruise Lines.

BTW, we only drive our cars, SUV's, mini-vans, & Prius' here in L.A. (and the San Fernando Valley) becuz there is no public transportation that is worthwhile. One must make numerous transfers to get anywhere.

Only the maids & nannies ride the buses.

Governor Brown (we got rid of him in the '70's but now He's Back). :eek: Wants to spend multi-millions on the "Train to Nowhere." Supposedly a Bullet from L.A. to SFO, to get Federal funding. There is not enough California money so it will end out in the desert somewhere. I think it will be voted down. We used to say: "If it's brown, Flush It."

With the neo-liberliasm no tax mantra running among some people here (geographically as well as on this board), the term "public good" of which public transit is one is an unknown or unfathomable concept. We could try raising transit fares so they totally cover operating costs but let's watch everyone get back into cars and the transit system shrink into nothingness, and watch traffic congestion (and pollution from such) rise.

TransLink in our neck of the woods not only runs transit but also regional highways.

I get such a kick out of you two, with your good-natured kidding, as well as your business & political insights and acumen.

O.K. Time to educate this Angeleno. I suppose the TransClunks is a euphenism for some corporation. Clue me in as to their original name, please.

And, PCL. Is that the bus company? My first thought was Princess Cruise Lines.

BTW, we only drive our cars, SUV's, mini-vans, & Prius' here in L.A. (and the San Fernando Valley) becuz there is no public transportation that is worthwhile. One must make numerous transfers to get anywhere.

Only the maids & nannies ride the buses.

Governor Brown (we got rid of him in the '70's but now He's Back). :eek: Wants to spend multi-millions on the "Train to Nowhere." Supposedly a Bullet from L.A. to SFO, to get Federal funding. There is not enough California money so it will end out in the desert somewhere. I think it will be voted down. We used to say: "If it's brown, Flush It."

TransClunk = TransLink http://www.translink.ca/

PCL = Pacific Coach Lines http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Archived