Cove or Regular balcony

schreader

I am thinking about booking the Breeze for 2014. I need connecting balcony rooms but can't decide between a cove balcony or a regular balcony cabin. Are they the same size? I prefer a higher deck but the cove balconies look nice. Any thoughts?

Loved the cove on the Dream. We had 2337 and Brother and SIL had 2341. Partition opeded between them. Made for one nice balcony.

We have this cabin booked during Thanksgiving. Anything noteworthy - and how was the noise level? Appears to be under the dining room, so hoping for the best.

Thanks,

Leon

I didn't realize the cove balcony was bigger, thanks for the info.

That's probably measured at the floor level and the hull slopes in a little at that point, so at head level it is probably less.

There are some pictures of a Cove Balcony cabin from the Breeze in this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645765

We have a 2 cove balconies booked for next September along with an inside across the hall and I cannot wait!!! I have seen lots of pics and everyone seems to really love these balconies, and I have a feeling we will too!!! I too however will be interested to hear how the noise is being below the dining area. But I honestly am not to concerned about it either lol, super excited for our cove!!!!

Cove!!! We just got off Dream with our first cove cabin and loved it! It was so nice being so close to the water, and on these ships, a major benefit is being able to actually look straight down at the water. Any other balcony has an obstructed view thanks to the extended lanai deck on deck 5. On our last Dream cruise, we had a balcony on deck 6 that gave us a view not of the lovely sea and the ship's wake, but of the lanai deck and one of its hot tubs. We felt we had no privacy and couldn't enjoy our verandah at all, and we missed being able to watch the water. The cove was perfect.

Icseale53: We loved being so close to the water. Loved the privacy. Did not hear any noise from above us at all. Had sun on the balcony, but not as much as a regular balcony. This was fine with me. We did have some salt from the water in the mornings. I just made sure to wipe the balcony down with a towel. If it was possible this would be the only type of balcony I would have.

Cove!!! We just got off Dream with our first cove cabin and loved it! It was so nice being so close to the water, and on these ships, a major benefit is being able to actually look straight down at the water. Any other balcony has an obstructed view thanks to the extended lanai deck on deck 5. On our last Dream cruise, we had a balcony on deck 6 that gave us a view not of the lovely sea and the ship's wake, but of the lanai deck and one of its hot tubs. We felt we had no privacy and couldn't enjoy our verandah at all, and we missed being able to watch the water. The cove was perfect.

We were on the same cruise, it was our very first cruise. We had connecting coves 2409 & 2407. It was perfect.

We had some noise, not from an upper deck, but occasionally from neighboring balconeys when they moved their furniture.

We would do a cove again in a heartbeat.

Icseale53: We loved being so close to the water. Loved the privacy. Did not hear any noise from above us at all. Had sun on the balcony, but not as much as a regular balcony. This was fine with me. We did have some salt from the water in the mornings. I just made sure to wipe the balcony down with a towel. If it was possible this would be the only type of balcony I would have.

Great - thanks for the reply. We are definitely looking forward to being near the water and won't mind a little spray at all. The cove does appear to be quite a bit more private, and we would probably benefit from a little less sun as well. I can't imagine much noise coming from the dining room above but the confirmation is good to have. Thanks again.

Leon

For those who have posted that you've been in a cove balcony cabin would you please post the cabin number and if you experienced any noise from above?

We're going to be in 2368 on the Breeze in December, which is below the galley. I've read a bunch of reports of no noise from above in this area but I'm still curious.

Haven't been in the Cove yet but we had a Deck 2 OV on Conquest below the galley and had some noise from carts and things being moved around during peak serving times, but nothing after around 10:30 PM.

We booked 2317 on Magic for this coming November and it's right on the lobby/dining room divider so it should be fine.

For those who have posted that you've been in a cove balcony cabin would you please post the cabin number and if you experienced any noise from above?

We're going to be in 2368 on the Breeze in December, which is below the galley. I've read a bunch of reports of no noise from above in this area but I'm still curious.

We were just in 2326 on Dream and had no noise problems whatsoever (save for people being a bit too loud at times in the hallway). Another perk: we were right by the midship elevators, giving us easy access to the buffet and pool deck, and we were never too far from anywhere we wanted to go.

Oh, and here's another benefit we hadn't foreseen to the cove balconies: We usually stay on deck 6 or deck 9, depending on the ship, and it's always a bear trying to catch an elevator up from deck 0 when we come in hot and tired on a busy port day. It was so nice this year being able to avoid the crowds and only having two measly sets of stairs to climb to get to our room.

Is there anyone who does not like cove balconies? My only concern is being so close to the water with motion issues.

If you're concerned about watching the water and feeling ill that way, then perhaps you're correct to be concerned - if you look straight down at the water from so close, it is a bit like watching close landscape pass from a side car window in that the water seems to move very fast and I can see how that could be a bit dizzying. But if you're more concerned about the motion of the ship itself, keep in mind that midship on the lowest deck possible is the most stable part of the ship - all movement up and down and side to side is centered on the middle of the ship, so the farther out and up you are, the more you're physically moving and the more you feel it.

I thought the Cove balcony parititions did not open up between each other?

The divider between 2407 & 2409 would not open, but we had a connecting door in our rooms.

The divider between 2409 & 2411 would open, but we didn't know them so we didn't ask to have it open. ;)

Is there anyone who does not like cove balconies? My only concern is being so close to the water with motion issues.

We didn't care for the cove.

2 of the 7 days we couldn't use the balcony because there was far too much spray and soaking wet.

At night there was light coming from above that leaked around the life boats. It was much like having the neighbors balcony light on all night long. I like to lay in bed and look at the stars at night, but with the light and the life boat was not able to.

It felt a little claustrophobic on the balcony with the life boat above.

We had 2277 and the following issues may only be related to this room. There was a squeaking noise in the ceiling outside our room (in the hall way). We were told there was nothing they could do about it.

When on the balcony, there were diesel odors coming from the vent.

Apparently we were just outside the ice machine so every day had that noise.

I think most people like them, but we will pass.

Archived