Are the ATN flights usually quite cold?

markser

I mentioned to my girlfriend that someone reported here that the ATN flights were cold. We were on SWISS flights recently that were frigid, and we weren't prepared. Therefore, she wanted me to ask whether many other people experienced cold ATN flights and if so, were blankets available? Knowing her, she'll bring a fleece otherwise.

Thanks.

Dont they give socks any more?

They gave us socks when we flew with them in February. They also gave everyone a blanket which was a bit skimpy, but did the job well enough. I recommend dressing in layers in order to be prepared for anything. Our outbound flight was too warm, but our inbound flight was a bit chilly.

I mentioned to my girlfriend that someone reported here that the ATN flights were cold. We were on SWISS flights recently that were frigid, and we weren't prepared. Therefore, she wanted me to ask whether many other people experienced cold ATN flights and if so, were blankets available? Knowing her, she'll bring a fleece otherwise.

Thanks.

I'm sort of scratching my head at this discussion...:confused:

Specific airlines or aircraft are neither cold nor hot (as a rule.)

The cabin temperature is controlled by dials in the cockpit within a selectable range, usually 60-80 F. In the case of the 767, we can individually adjust the temperature for the cockpit, fwd, and aft zones. If you're cold, ask the flight attendant to request more heat. The longer the plane is at cruise altitude (-60 degrees F outside air temp), the more the jet "cold soaks".

The usual scenario (culprit) is that everyone is warm on boarding and climb out, thus the selected temp is cool. After an hour or so, the passengers begin to get chilled as the crew fails to adjust the temp upward to compensate for the cold soak.

Bottom line, if you're uncomfortable, don't be too bashful to ask for the temperature to be raised or lowered. We can see the digital temp readout for each zone and certainly adjust (if the request appears reasonable.)

Hope this helps...

Happy Flying!

- a 767 Capt

In one or more of the 340-300's ATN use the rear cabin can be hot up front and darn cold in the rear, could be something in the duct lines. This has been an issue on some of their planes for years, it has been well discussed so I'm sure ATN is aware of the complaints.

One of the DE's on TripAdvisor gave a good suggestion. Dress in layers .........

I think the cabin temperature is directly related to the temperature outside. When we left Lax and Tahiti is was hot outside so the cabin was hot and stuffy. I found that later on in the flight the temperature became cool after the air conditioning kicked in. The socks and blanket that they provided were enough to keep me comfortable. Your girlfriend may want to bring a light sweater or spring jacket.

IMO

After 17 trips I can say (IMO) that the temp can be hot or cold after the jet gets to altitude. As I mentioned some of the ATN planes have issues with their vent system. Same cabin can be hot or cold depending where you sit. This problem isn't on all their aircraft. If you don't want to take my opinion feel free to go over to Tripadvisor on the FP forum and ask. Every single DE over there will tell you the same thing I just did, between all of us we have well over 100 trips on ATN, problem has been this way for at least 3 - 4 years.

I guess D-ma got one of the planes that din't have issues. As I suggested, wear clothing in layers so you are prepared for temp condition.

Tiki not get into p....ing match we are very very frequent travelers and its really the luck of the draw. In the last year I have travelled on all 5 continents in every available class - I am mostly cold but then I am sometimes very hot.

Like D-Ma and others have said there is nothing like dressing in layers. Do not chance the weather inside the plane!

For this we do not need to consult the trip advisor gurus or even the flyertalk gurus - it is universally known already!

It was I (twice) that said to dress in layers.

Furthermore this problem is prevalent on ATN planes. Once you have log the airtime on ATN that I have my ears will perk up but until then I'll say it as I know it is .........

I got to say, I'm trying real hard to place nice here but some of you got a chip on your shoulder and think you know it all.

I've already conceded to you Emdee that your the knowledgeable one on the PG so why try and duel with me about topics I have much more personal knowledge on ............. ah ......... like ATN ...........

Personally I think your itimidated by someone that just might have a bit more knowledge than you regarding FP. As I said, I'll give you the Big Kahuna award in regards to the PG.

I'll leave again, there are plenty who enjoy my help over on Tripadvisor, don't want to rain on your lil' parade. Anyone what's help on the islands, vendors, resorts, pearls, restaurants, tours in FP you know where to find me.

It was I (twice) that said to dress in layers.

Furthermore this problem is prevalent on ATN planes. Once you have log the airtime on ATN that I have my ears will perk up but until then I'll say it as I know it is .........

I got to say, I'm trying real hard to place nice here but some of you got a chip on your shoulder and think you know it all.

I've already conceded to you Emdee that your the knowledgeable one on the PG so why try and duel with me about topics I have much more personal knowledge on ............. ah ......... like ATN ...........

Personally I think your itimidated by someone that just might have a bit more knowledge than you regarding FP. As I said, I'll give you the Big Kahuna award in regards to the PG.

I'll leave again, there are plenty who enjoy my help over on Tripadvisor, don't want to rain on your lil' parade. Anyone what's help on the islands, vendors, resorts, pearls, restaurants, tours in FP you know where to find me.

I don't think this theory holds up. I know diddley-squat about FP or the PG (I spent exactly 3 days in Papeete on the way back from New Zealand last February & my first PG cruise is next month). Yet, I found the aggressive tone of some of your posts to be offensive. Oh wait, you're never going to see this post. Bueller?

Tiki, far from intimidated ... if at all amused by your aggression.

This is not a turf war at all. You have a lot more to provide on the best resorts in FP than I have so play nice for the sake of other posters.

As I wish this war to stop lets step back a month and start over.

Yes there is much both of us can provide to newbies on the PG or frankly anyone who has not been to FP.

So for the sake of those people let’s drop the issue. I will say the tempo is different over here than on TripAdvisor, not saying that's bad, just different.

Let me explain. On the TripAdvisor board there are 8 DE's, all have been there several times, most have been there over a dozen times. We all have been giving advice for so long that we each know how the other DE's think about a particular issue. We agree on 85% of the questions fronted, most are asked over and over and over so we know each other pretty well.

As the vast majority of people who visit FP stay at resorts and not by cruise ship (that is changing as Tiki pushes the love of the PG) we often give advice which sways where people will stay. Every once and awhile someone will give a bad review regarding a resort that all of us DE's know well and can attest that the bad review is not the case 95% of the time for said resort. Newbies who have booked at that same resort all become concern and are asking for re-assurance from the DE's that they have made a sound choice and won't be disappointed. As a group of DE's we deal with those situations in a combined effort to bring peace to those newbies who just had their world shaken with one bad review that hit the forum. Remember many of these newbies are honeymooners and they want the perfect setting for their time in FP.

We also find planted reviews that come from people of biased, this can be from an anonymous poster who writes a review about a competing company/vendor, and yes this happens on a weekly basis. As DE's we deal with this all the time and try to weed out the garbage.

I said what I did to shed a bit of light on me, not to use it as an excuse but to simple say as DE's we often find ourselves 'policing' the forum, to make sure what's up is up and what's down is down.

In the case of D-ma, my eyebrows went up as I know what she said is not the norm for a ship I've grown fond of. Not to say her experience didn't happen just to say it's out of the norm and as such didn't want newbies to have a skewed take on a wonderful ship. I guess you could say my state of mind can be a bit like a police officer, you look with a suspicious mind.

As I said, it's not an excuse so to D-ma I apologize for my over stepping. I've now learned that the makeup of this forum is way different than what I deal with all the time on TripAdvisor. I will remember that in the future.

Remember also that my response was out of a blooming love I have for the PG. She is by far the best ship to stay on while visiting many parts of the south pacific.

Peace

As I wish this war to stop lets step back a month and start over.

Yes there is much both of us can provide to newbies on the PG or frankly anyone who has not been to FP.

So for the sake of those people let’s drop the issue. I will say the tempo is different over here than on TripAdvisor, not saying that's bad, just different.

Let me explain. On the TripAdvisor board there are 8 DE's, all have been there several times, most have been there over a dozen times. We all have been giving advice for so long that we each know how the other DE's think about a particular issue. We agree on 85% of the questions fronted, most are asked over and over and over so we know each other pretty well.

As the vast majority of people who visit FP stay at resorts and not by cruise ship (that is changing as Tiki pushes the love of the PG) we often give advice which sways where people will stay. Every once and awhile someone will give a bad review regarding a resort that all of us DE's know well and can attest that the bad review is not the case 95% of the time for said resort. Newbies who have booked at that same resort all become concern and are asking for re-assurance from the DE's that they have made a sound choice and won't be disappointed. As a group of DE's we deal with those situations in a combined effort to bring peace to those newbies who just had their world shaken with one bad review that hit the forum. Remember many of these newbies are honeymooners and they want the perfect setting for their time in FP.

We also find planted reviews that come from people of biased, this can be from an anonymous poster who writes a review about a competing company/vendor, and yes this happens on a weekly basis. As DE's we deal with this all the time and try to weed out the garbage.

I said what I did to shed a bit of light on me, not to use it as an excuse but to simple say as DE's we often find ourselves 'policing' the forum, to make sure what's up is up and what's down is down.

In the case of D-ma, my eyebrows went up as I know what she said is not the norm for a ship I've grown fond of. Not to say her experience didn't happen just to say it's out of the norm and as such didn't want newbies to have a skewed take on a wonderful ship. I guess you could say my state of mind can be a bit like a police officer, you look with a suspicious mind.

As I said, it's not an excuse so to D-ma I apologize for my over stepping. I've now learned that the makeup of this forum is way different than what I deal with all the time on TripAdvisor. I will remember that in the future.

Remember also that my response was out of a blooming love I have for the PG. She is by far the best ship to stay on while visiting many parts of the south pacific.

Peace

Thanks for the insight. That's very interesting -- how the TripAdvisor forum works. I can certainly appreciate that the DE's like to keep things on an even keel. But you're right, things are definitely different over here on CC.

So, as suggested, rewinding to one month ago....

So, as suggested, rewinding to one month ago....

PHEW!

This has been an uncomfortable place lately for those of us who just want to read stuff about FP and the PG, and don't like seeing all the tension and bizarre antagonism.

There is more than enough room in this forum for a wide variety of opinions and experiences, and they all contribute to our understanding and expectations. Thanks to everyone who is willing to answer questions, provide opinions, and offer insight.

As an avid reader of TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic, I can tell you that when deciding on a vacation I never base my decision solely on one person's bad (or good!) experience. I read all the reviews I can find, take the worst ones with a grain of salt (they are often from people with unreasonable expectations or chips on their shoulders), look for common experiences, and try to form a balanced opinion. I've never seen a cruise ship, resort, or hotel that didn't have at least some bad reviews...even the best has an occasional miss. And it's par for the course for the fans of that ship or resort to get a little prickly when anyone posts something less than complimentary.

Regarding D-ma's recent poor review, I believe that it happened as she described. I also believe that it was a one-off, based on my own prior experience on that ship, a report from my boss who was on the PG immediately before her cruise, and on the plethora of rave reviews from others. I suspect there was a staffing issue - maybe some crew unexpectedly didn't return? I don't know. But the PG does have occasional misses - look at that Brisbane-to-FP cruise in January in which numerous things went wrong. Fortunately it appears that they picked themselves up, dusted themselves off and got right back to their superior service for the next cruise. Which is what I expect them to do after this one.

I do hope that they have their staffing issues resolved before we board her in less than three weeks! But whatever happens, I will post an honest review. And if it has some less-than-flattering stuff, I will just take my lumps because I know it will ruffle some feathers. :D

Archived