Puerto Madryn: Peninsula Valdes or Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery

jff50

I'm looking at 2 tours out of Puerto Madryn. Peninsula Valdes or Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery. Would love to hear any input regarding either or both of these tours.

Did the Punto Tombo tour in a van with 8 of us. Long drive. We were late in the season and many of the penguins were gone but still 1000's there. Some were very close to the foot paths. Everywhere we looked saw them. Also by the time we left the rookery, there were a lot of people there, but we we outnumbered by the birds. Only low point was that we could not get close to the water to see them going out to sea. Could see them in the distance. Good tour.

I'm looking at 2 tours out of Puerto Madryn. Peninsula Valdes or Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery. Would love to hear any input regarding either or both of these tours.

On most SA cruise itineraries, you have multiple opportunities to see penguins, so I personally would go to Peninsula Valdes if you avail yourself of other penguin opportunities.

The southern elephant seal is only seen in a couple of areas of the world and Peninsula Valdes is one of them. It is just unbelievable how huge they are. I have seen Northern elephant seals multiple times off the coast of California. No comparison to the southern elephant seal. You can get very close if you walk down the hill to the beach (it is quite the hike back up the trail). Nice little gift shop and restaurant at the top of the hill above the elephant seals.

Nice drive with a variety of wildlife-lots of guanaco which aren't seen in a lot of parts of SA as alpacas and llamas are.

Take the ship's tour. It is a loooong drive well away from most people and conveniences and I have either seen or encountered mechanical breakdowns/flat tires on the trips I have made there. Enjoy!!!

I think it is a matter of deciding what is important for you to see overall and then trying to match this to your port visits. There will be things that you will miss out on (and can wait for the next trip!). We went to Peninsula Valdes as we chose to visit the penguins on Isla Martello from Ushuaia. If we were not doing that we would have gone to Punto Tombo as friends did. They said it was great. There were some other excursions we were keen on at Ushuaia but decided to forego them in favour of the penguins (which were fantastic). Both Punto Tombo and Peninsula Valdes involve a lot of driving so are full day excursions. We did not take the ships tour but organised a private one which meant we were away before the main groups and missed them at the stops. In early January we were too late for the whales but did see the seals (there were less elephant seals than fur(?)seals) and a few penguins. We were not permitted to walk onto any of the beaches to see the animals. There were also some guanaco on the way but less wildlife than I hoped. We also stopped at the information centre on the way back which was quite interesting. It was a long day of mostly driving with some animals and beaches.

I think it is a matter of deciding what is important for you to see overall and then trying to match this to your port visits. There will be things that you will miss out on (and can wait for the next trip!). We went to Peninsula Valdes as we chose to visit the penguins on Isla Martello from Ushuaia. If we were not doing that we would have gone to Punto Tombo as friends did. They said it was great. There were some other excursions we were keen on at Ushuaia but decided to forego them in favour of the penguins (which were fantastic). Both Punto Tombo and Peninsula Valdes involve a lot of driving so are full day excursions. We did not take the ships tour but organised a private one which meant we were away before the main groups and missed them at the stops. In early January we were too late for the whales but did see the seals (there were less elephant seals than fur(?)seals) and a few penguins. We were not permitted to walk onto any of the beaches to see the animals. There were also some guanaco on the way but less wildlife than I hoped. We also stopped at the information centre on the way back which was quite interesting. It was a long day of mostly driving with some animals and beaches.

I am setting up a private tour to Punto Tombo. We are on Splendor and arrive at 7 AM and depart at 4 PM. Our tour company s aid they would pick us up at the bottom of the gangway immediately upon arrival and it takes 8 hours but many on my RC are concerned we will not make it back in time. Your thoughts please, as I want to make sure we will be OK. If possible, would you please e-mail me your response also, in case I have more questions. I would GREATLY appreciate it. Many thanks!!

djdeshaies@carolina.rr.com

Punta Tomba is doable these days in 9 hours (its paved road almost all the way ~ 4 years ago, unlike my first trip 9 years ago). I reckon 2-2.5 hrs to get from Madryn to Punta Tomba (I've driven this). Give yourself 2 hrs to look around there.

When are you going? Best time is late November to mid March.

• 2 months later...

Archived