Does NCL have a "Signature" Dessert?

Carl Nival

Sadly, no. Most NCL desserts can be skipped without being missed. I usually just get some ice cream because most of the other desserts look nice but lack any real flavor or texture.

Some will bring up a couple of desserts from the surcharge specialty restaurants, but since those aren't served in the MDR, they don't really count.

Edited by jame_g

I wouldn't call it a signature dessert - but our favorite is the Key Lime Pie (usually served night 1, on lobster night).

Agreed that most of the desserts can be skipped (which bums me out since I LOVE dessert!)

We find the desserts on the buffet to be made for diabetics with no taste.

But the specialty dining rooms have some exceptional desserts such as the Napoleon in Le Bistro and the creme brulee, the rasberry brulee in Cagney's is also very good as is the ricotta cheese cake in the Italian restaurants along with Tiramisu.

The crepes that they serve on the buffet are marvelous. Cooked to order, ice cream or fruit. Simply wonderful. The chocolate chip cookies are good. The cheese plates served as a desert are good also. The brownie sundaes in the 24hour restaurant are really good. Avoid the plethera of pudding like puffy deserts. But there are marvelous deserts to be had. Tiramisu when they have it is good. But to directly answer your question, not one signature desert per se. I read lots of complaints about deserts but i have had wonderful ones. But i also have a good sense of what to order and have read a lot of comments here on CC which helps.

Carnival has the chocolate melting cake. Does NCL have a dessert that is their signature dessert that can't be missed?

The Chocolate Melting Cake is the only thing I will miss about Carnival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We really like the chocolate mousse served at lunch in the MDR. It's been on the menu the last couple of years and I hope it stays there. I go have a salad just to justify having a mousse for dessert.....smiles.

Sadly, no. Most NCL desserts can be skipped without being missed. I usually just get some ice cream because most of the other desserts look nice but lack any real flavor or texture.

An excellent way of putting it. And particularly anything called "chocolate" is tasteless. The "chocolate buffet"? Yuck. Brown stuff, occupying space. They can't be using real chocolate...

Exception: the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro is the real deal, but that's a specialty restaurant.

I often opt for the cheese plate in the MDR....

Edited by Turtles06

NCL usually has hard ice cream in the buffet during lunch and dinner time, or out by the pool during the afternoon --depending on the ship. It's usually limited to 3 different random flavors and served by a crew member.

There is also a self-serve soft-serve machine in the buffet that is open during lunch and dinner. Although on rare ocassion I have seen the crew serving this as well. Usually vanilla, chocolate, and twist, although sometimes there has been only one flavor available, or a fruit flavor available.

And particularly anything called "chocolate" is tasteless. The "chocolate buffet"? Yuck. Brown stuff, occupying space. They can't be using real chocolate...

Agreed. After witnessing the eye-opening stampede at the start of the chocolate buffet, I tried a few items and you're right, they're sorely lacking in chocolate taste. Bland would be the best way to describe the items.

NCL definitely lacks on the desserts. However, on our last cruise I discovered these macadamia nut cookies from the buffet that were just heaven. I would take a few back to the room for a midnight snack.

NCL has never had a "signature dessert" to my knowledge, but the bread pudding should NOT be missed. Try it and you'll tell your friends how great it is!

I don't understand the ice cream love. It's nothing special. It's forgetable and not worth the calories, IMHO. Sure, I understand the lure for kids. Yet, on our last cruise I've never seen so many adult cruisers upset as the day the soft serve machine was down in the buffet. People stood there for probably 30 minutes grumbling while a crew member tried to fix it. When it was clear it would then need some time to "refreeze the ice cream," people angrily threw up their hands and left. :rolleyes:

An excellent way of putting it. And particularly anything called "chocolate" is tasteless. The "chocolate buffet"? Yuck. Brown stuff, occupying space. They can't be using real chocolate...

Exception: the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro is the real deal, but that's a specialty restaurant.

I often opt for the cheese plate in the MDR....

I was surprised to find that they moved the time up to 7:30 to (:30 I always thought it was later, anyway we saw it on the first week after it was bombarded so we made a note to go back 2nd week to take pics. We thought the sculptures were the best ever and way more of them. We didn't eat any of it as I've always said f your gonna eat calories make them good ones.

Dessert or not the Chilled Fruit Soup's are the absolute Best !!!!

They are great, but I've read on some recent threads that NCL has removed them from the MDR menus... :mad: (May still be available in the buffet...)