Tux rental on Zuiderdam

This is what is posted on HAL's Site:

Is There A Dress Code?

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered on select cruises by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

Basic black tux including shoes and TWO shirts ... aboout $110.00 US.

Was in the room at embarkation.

So convenient! I did this two years ago on the "Z". If anything doesn't fit or is missing, you could get replacements at Guest Services.

I used the rental option a couple times when I first started cruising. Its a very good option, but the tux is not the most comfortable or good looking. Its a rental and constructed for durability over comfort. Very heavy and warm in a tropical environment. Once I realized how much I loved cruising, I went and bought a nice tuxedo and it was the best move I made. Much more comfortable, better fitting and way nicer looking. If you plan to cruise a lot and like to wear a tux on formal nights, you really should consider purchasing one and getting it properly fitted. Alas, it now looks like tuxedos on formal nights are quickly becoming a thing of the past. :(

I suppose mine will end up being relegated to minimal duty for the occaisional formal event I attend here at home.

Archived