Questions about Cruising to Alaska

cruisecrazybmore

Patwell, thank you for providing such a lovely trip summary. It will surely provide some valuable information to those planning a trip to AK. I agree, that an itinerary with Glacier Bay and Hubbard is the jackpot!!! The other jackpot cruise in my mind is the one-way HAL out of Vancouver that goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. I am sure your comments will help those who are on the fence. Cruisetours are not for everyone, but they can be a great choice for the right people. We did a bus tour in Europe and loved it. Others would have hated it I am sure. However, for Alaska, I just couldn't find a tour that went to all the places I wanted to go. It is simply great that we all have choices. So happy to hear you had a great cruisetour experience and happy you reported it here.

Penny,

Thanks a million. I'm preparing for my first Alaskan trip - on Sapphire this Saturday, and your post makes me want to go right NOW. You've captured what traveling is all about - the people with you, the people you meet, the resources and cultures you experience;). I hope that when it's my time for a trip report, I can infuse the same feelings you have. Cheers again.

Thanks so much for the well written comments and review of your Alaska trip. We booked the Diamond for July 2013, 6 days land first, then 7 day cruise going south. We are very excited!!! We plan on carefully scheduling our tours--still so much to learn! This is a great board and we were so pleased to find it and appreciate everyone's feedback. Your support is very encouraging! This will be our 5th cruise, 4th is the Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba on the Caribbean Princess in March 2013. We are becoming addicted to cruising!

Sandy

Hi Sandy.....I'm happy my brief summary was helpful to you. I have no doubt at all that you will enjoy your cruisetour. Diamond is a fine ship....we did not favor the Anytime Dining ( first time we tried that!) and ended up eating dinners in the Lido. It turned out to be a terrific choice as we could sit by those huge windows and eat while savoring the gorgeous scenery we were passing. For us, that's what this trip was all about. The ship was merely a conveyance to see it all. After our long, busy touring days in port it was just comfortable to stay dressed as we were and sample bits of this and that for dinner.

We will be doing the southern Carribbean too this winter but will do it on the Noordam as we did last Dec. Love those ABC islands!:D

Enjoy your anticipation of this amazing journey.....I'd be amazed if it didn't blow you away with the variety, the beauty and the vastness of Alaska.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

I want to travel with you! I was just thinking how snotty some of the people on CC are getting. Was thinking about not checking in anymore. You've renewed my faith. You found all the positive things I like about travelling. Yes, there will be the glitch now and then. But, I totally agree that Alaska is wonderful. We've been there in early September and mid June. I missed the daylight in September but the fall colors were photo-worthy. Next trip is planned for June 1, 2013. Can't wait.

Lib

Anytime Lib....we love traveling with people who see the adventure as we do. We're a tad quirkly but we sure have fun.

I'd love to do a June trip to see the different season there but that scheduling doesn't work for our oldest friends in life.....we'd never go back without them. They'd never forgive us if we did!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

Patwell, thank you for providing such a lovely trip summary. It will surely provide some valuable information to those planning a trip to AK. I agree, that an itinerary with Glacier Bay and Hubbard is the jackpot!!! The other jackpot cruise in my mind is the one-way HAL out of Vancouver that goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. I am sure your comments will help those who are on the fence. Cruisetours are not for everyone, but they can be a great choice for the right people. We did a bus tour in Europe and loved it. Others would have hated it I am sure. However, for Alaska, I just couldn't find a tour that went to all the places I wanted to go. It is simply great that we all have choices. So happy to hear you had a great cruisetour experience and happy you reported it here.

Thank you Vbmom, for your kind comments. I do hope my brief recap will prove helpful to other new Alaska travelers. There are many ways to do Alaska....this one worked for us for a first trip as it allowed such a variety of samplings of Alaska.

We booked Harv and Marv for whale watching and did so independently......great trip, great company. Loved having the small boat for just we 4 and another couple. And we did see whales...loads of them, then enjoyed the stop they offered at Mendenhall. We had time to wander the town and soak up some local atmosphere, always a favorite way to pass some time.

We also did CHilkoot Charters for the trail ride and then the tour into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. The train ride turned spooky as we drove into heavy clouds and couldn't see the side of the tracks!!:eek: But once we transferred to the van the sun came out for the most glorious scenery to be had.....Emerald Lake was in its glory that day. Stunning! Chilkoot proved to be the perfect choice for us...small van and great driver who'd stop as we asked. We had the great privilege of having a momma bear and her 3 cubs come right up to the road and we sat there for almost 10 minutes watching their antics.....and I do mean up close. I could have reached out the window to pat Momma if I didn't need my arm any longer!

My only mistake in a private tour was fishing in Ketchikan....I misread the charter captain by a good bit.....he was less than forthcoming, yet most personable when I made the reservation. It was a disappointment in that he overloaded his small boat meaning less fishing time per person. We did catch a couple of salmon but it wasn't a memorable day on the water. But we did fish for salmon in Alaska....that was fun!

I'm not a fan of bus tours and multi day organized tours but in this case, to accomplish what we wanted for the first time, The Princess cruisetour fitted the bill perfectly. They did a stellar job in logistics from start to finish.

Cheers, Penny

[bPenny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again][/b]

Penny,

Thanks a million. I'm preparing for my first Alaskan trip - on Sapphire this Saturday, and your post makes me want to go right NOW. You've captured what traveling is all about - the people with you, the people you meet, the resources and cultures you experience;). I hope that when it's my time for a trip report, I can infuse the same feelings you have. Cheers again.

Pnay......BON VOYAGE!! Have a fantastic time. You must be bouncing off walls at this point, and I am pea green with envy for all you will experience. I know I was off the charts the last couple of weeks last summer as August got closer.

We always travel with friends of 38 years....they are closer to us than family. We love to meet different people, see different cultures and sample as much variety as we can in this great world of ours. Alaska will always rank right up near the top of that list I'm sure. It's a tough act to follow which is probably why we only have one cruise booked this year and have chosen to rent lovely houses in a few favorite resort areas for parts of summer and fall.

I'l look forward to seeing your trip report. Trust me, Alaska will inspire your words and emotions when you sit down to write it. I'm sorry I never had time afterwards to write a proper review.....too many other trips got in the way and it never got done. Hopefully this little bit I've offered on here will make up a little. I got so much fantastic advice on this forum and it made all the difference.

Cheers, Penny

2012...Assorted trips

Hi Sandy.....I'm happy my brief summary was helpful to you. I have no doubt at all that you will enjoy your cruisetour. Diamond is a fine ship....we did not favor the Anytime Dining ( first time we tried that!) and ended up eating dinners in the Lido. It turned out to be a terrific choice as we could sit by those huge windows and eat while savoring the gorgeous scenery we were passing. For us, that's what this trip was all about. The ship was merely a conveyance to see it all. After our long, busy touring days in port it was just comfortable to stay dressed as we were and sample bits of this and that for dinner.

We will be doing the southern Carribbean too this winter but will do it on the Noordam as we did last Dec. Love those ABC islands!:D

Enjoy your anticipation of this amazing journey.....I'd be amazed if it didn't blow you away with the variety, the beauty and the vastness of Alaska.

Cheers, Penny

2012...Assorted trips

Thanks once again, Penny. We will be doing the traditional dining option. When is the right time to schedule all the tours? Is it 90 days before or are you able to do that ahead of time with Princess? Or is it best to schedule them with private companies?

2) Can you go to Mendenhall Glacier on your own easily? I'm assuming there are buses that run back and forth from the pier? Hopefully?

Yes, near where the Mt Roberts tram station is, there's little wooden booths set up next to the parking lot, and several offer bus trips to Mendenhall. It's $8 each way, and they usually run something like every half hour, so you can go up and stay as long as you wish and take the next bus back (check with them on how late they run...as I don't recall)

Thank you Vbmom, for your kind comments. I do hope my brief recap will prove helpful to other new Alaska travelers. There are many ways to do Alaska....this one worked for us for a first trip as it allowed such a variety of samplings of Alaska.

We booked Harv and Marv for whale watching and did so independently......great trip, great company. Loved having the small boat for just we 4 and another couple. And we did see whales...loads of them, then enjoyed the stop they offered at Mendenhall. We had time to wander the town and soak up some local atmosphere, always a favorite way to pass some time.

We also did CHilkoot Charters for the trail ride and then the tour into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. The train ride turned spooky as we drove into heavy clouds and couldn't see the side of the tracks!!:eek: But once we transferred to the van the sun came out for the most glorious scenery to be had.....Emerald Lake was in its glory that day. Stunning! Chilkoot proved to be the perfect choice for us...small van and great driver who'd stop as we asked. We had the great privilege of having a momma bear and her 3 cubs come right up to the road and we sat there for almost 10 minutes watching their antics.....and I do mean up close. I could have reached out the window to pat Momma if I didn't need my arm any longer!

My only mistake in a private tour was fishing in Ketchikan....I misread the charter captain by a good bit.....he was less than forthcoming, yet most personable when I made the reservation. It was a disappointment in that he overloaded his small boat meaning less fishing time per person. We did catch a couple of salmon but it wasn't a memorable day on the water. But we did fish for salmon in Alaska....that was fun!

I'm not a fan of bus tours and multi day organized tours but in this case, to accomplish what we wanted for the first time, The Princess cruisetour fitted the bill perfectly. They did a stellar job in logistics from start to finish.

Cheers, Penny

If you have the time, it would be helpful to others if you reviewed your independent tours on Trip Advisor. It sounds like the fishing excursion was not what you thought you were getting. It would be good to alert others about your experience. If you have never posted on TA before, I suggest you do several reviews, because people are leery of one time posters.

You chose great tours for a first time trip to Alaska. I am so glad you reported back with your details. We have too many on this forum who are really negative about cruisetours and just can't understand why someone would not want to plan their own trip. I have saved this link and will use it when people are confused about what to do. I also saved a link of someone who did not enjoy their tour. I think it is always good to weight the pros and cons and then decide what works for you best.

Archived