Questions about Cruising to Alaska

cruisecrazybmore

I'm from the east coast (Baltimore) and my dad and I are hoping to go on an Alaska cruise next year in September. I have some questions for those who have been there before:

1) Weather in mid-late September? Like I said, coming from Baltimore so space is limited on the flight. Do we need winter coats? Heavy jackets? What's enough vs too much to bring?

2) Can you go to Mendenhall Glacier on your own easily? I'm assuming there are buses that run back and forth from the pier? Hopefully?

4) Misty Fjords: by boat or seaplane?

Any other tips you have for first time Alaska cruisers? We'd be on the Golden Princess out of Seattle. Ports of call Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC.

Thanks in advance!

Layered clothing is the go for Alaska! Definitely some form of rain coat or wet weather gear.

In regards to Misty Fiords we did a seaplane flight and it was amazing!!! Landed on a lake high in the mountains and stepped out onto the pontoons into total serenity. A trip that will always be remembered 😍

Sorry, forgot to mention a tour we did in Skagway - the Glacier Point Wilderness Tour. This was also an awesome excursion. A boat ride up the fiord to an isolated beach, a bumpy but fun bus ride through the forest before cladding ourselves in Wellies and raincoats then a short hike to canoes on the Davidson River. We then paddled upriver to the face of the Davidson Glacier for some breathtaking photo opportunities and time to take in the amazing scenery. We then motored back downstream. This pristine area gave us a real feel for Alaska. A+ on this one. Another golden memory.

Enjoy your trip!

Just wanted to note that in September there is a higher chance for rain and daylight becomes shorter.

You can still have a nice time in Alaska anytime during the cruising season and the plus side that time of year is far less kids in port.

Keith

You need to take warm layers, including good rain gear, hat and gloves.

Another negative of mid Sept, is dusk by 7pm, which impacts the scenic sailing potential.

Yes you can easily get back and forth to Mendenhall, and Misty Fiords floatplane tours are top choice.

I just wanted to add that no matter what time of the year you sail it will still be wonderful to sail Alaska.

We were just there in April about three weeks before any of the other ships. We were concerned about it and it turned out to be the best of our six Alaska Cruises. You just never know.

Keith

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll follow the weather over the next few months and see when the best time to go would be. There is such a huge cost difference though, well huge for us.

Thanks again!

Keep in mind that weather in Alaska like many places is unpredictable. Sure there is higher chance of rain in September but I have also seen where it didn't rain then and rained in another month. So, even what you see this September has no baring on next September.

If the economics work out much better for you to do a September voyage then just do that. You can layer clothing accordingly and you will still have a very nice time.

And you may just have terrific weather.

Keith

I'm from the east coast (Baltimore) and my dad and I are hoping to go on an Alaska cruise next year in September. I have some questions for those who have been there before:

1) Weather in mid-late September? Like I said, coming from Baltimore so space is limited on the flight. Do we need winter coats? Heavy jackets? What's enough vs too much to bring?

2) Can you go to Mendenhall Glacier on your own easily? I'm assuming there are buses that run back and forth from the pier? Hopefully?

4) Misty Fjords: by boat or seaplane?

Any other tips you have for first time Alaska cruisers? We'd be on the Golden Princess out of Seattle. Ports of call Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC.

Thanks in advance!

NO...do not pack a heavy winter coat for September. Plan to layer with turtle necks and a fleece jacket. I would take a scarf and gloves as well. Do not over pack. You will not use all the stuff you think you will. Plan on rain everyday for at least a part of the day. An umbrella or pancho works great. You can go to Mendenhall Glacier on your own. There are bus tours available.I liked the Misty Fjords by boat. Alaska is beautiful.....take your binocculars and cameras.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll follow the weather over the next few months and see when the best time to go would be. There is such a huge cost difference though, well huge for us.

Thanks again!

The cheapest cruises are typically during the times when something is undesirable about them. In this case, mid-late september has a higher potential for unpleasant weather. You will find exceptions if you look for them. Many have had good weather, but many have not. It all depends on how much of a gambler you are. If it is a once in a lifetime trip, you have to decide if the risk is worth it to you or not.

Here is a thread about someone's cruise who went the last week of the cruising season last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487385

The cheapest cruises are typically during the times when something is undesirable about them. In this case, mid-late september has a higher potential for unpleasant weather. You will find exceptions if you look for them. Many have had good weather, but many have not. It all depends on how much of a gambler you are. If it is a once in a lifetime trip, you have to decide if the risk is worth it to you or not.

Here is a thread about someone's cruise who went the last week of the cruising season last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487385

Yes, and as that poster said, they have gone that week before, and that year the weather was very unusual. I believe it was "the first one in inclement weather".

I am booked on the last HAL cruise in September this year. I am going prepared and expecting cold and rain, which, coming from Phoenix, I will absolutely love! But it could be sunny and warm, like my late May Alaska cruise in 2010. I expected rain and cold from these boards, but it was warm and sunny most days. You can never tell.

But it could be sunny and warm, like my late May Alaska cruise in 2010. I expected rain and cold from these boards, but it was warm and sunny most days. You can never tell.

This board would not have claimed late May would likely have rain and cold. For years, consistantly, it is the most favorable timeframe to consider cruising Alaska. I have cruised this timeframe yearly, over at least the last 6-8 years, multiple trips. ALWAYS way more favorable weather, then later trips in later August/Sept.

We are also first time cruisers to Alaska. We are getting ready to book in July 2013. We are doing the cruisetour 5 days land first, then 7 days cruise. We have chosen the agenda, only question now is Princess Diamond or Princess Coral? Any preferences?

We are also first time cruisers to Alaska. We are getting ready to book in July 2013. We are doing the cruisetour 5 days land first, then 7 days cruise. We have chosen the agenda, only question now is Princess Diamond or Princess Coral? Any preferences?

Both are about the same in terms of the overall experience. Diamond is slightly larger and two years newer.

Let the itinerary be the decider or the dates of the cruise.

Keith

Only a suggestion, but if you haven't, be certain to tear apart your cruisetour and know every detail of what you are looking at and purchasing. Princess has too many lacking itineraries, that people don't understand.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Nice to know that with either ship you will get same experience. We are definitely going to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour based on others' experiences on here. Anything else we shouldn't miss? Our land tour has 2 nights in Mt. McKinely and 2 nights in Denali then the train to Anchorage/Whittier. It is a 5 day land tour first and starts in Anchorage overnight. Haven't booked yet, but that is the one we are leaning toward.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Nice to know that with either ship you will get same experience. We are definitely going to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour based on others' experiences on here. Anything else we shouldn't miss? Our land tour has 2 nights in Mt. McKinely and 2 nights in Denali then the train to Anchorage/Whittier. It is a 5 day land tour first and starts in Anchorage overnight. Haven't booked yet, but that is the one we are leaning toward.

Is the McKinley Princess where you want to be? Do you have realistic touring plans for any area you visit? What do you hope to "accomplish" this trip? Any must dos? Basic priority, ideal touring of Alaska? Scenery, wildlife, culture, adventure, ice, fishing, gold? :)

These are only random questions to perhaps ask yourself- anyone looking at booking cruisetours. There are many areas to tour, with a negative for some, having no time in the embarkment/disembarkment ports of Whittier and Seward. Both gems for superb touring.

Is the McKinley Princess where you want to be? Do you have realistic touring plans for any area you visit? What do you hope to "accomplish" this trip? Any must dos? Basic priority, ideal touring of Alaska? Scenery, wildlife, culture, adventure, ice, fishing, gold? :)

These are only random questions to perhaps ask yourself- anyone looking at booking cruisetours. There are many areas to tour, with a negative for some, having no time in the embarkment/disembarkment ports of Whittier and Seward. Both gems for superb touring.

We are going to probably book the Diamond Princess for 6 land, 7 cruise...some changes, 2 nights at Fairbanks, 2 nights at Denali, 2 nights at Mt. McKinley. We are looking for an overall general experience of Alaska as we have never been there and our time is limited. We will fly into Fairbanks and fly back from Anchorage. We plan on researching all the tours available to us. We definitely want scenery, wildlife, some adventure probably limited, no fishing, but want to see the glaciers, tundra, Mt. McKinley. Princess goes to both glaciers on the south cruise and this is a priority.

We are going to probably book the Diamond Princess for 6 land, 7 cruise...some changes, 2 nights at Fairbanks, 2 nights at Denali, 2 nights at Mt. McKinley. We are looking for an overall general experience of Alaska as we have never been there and our time is limited. We will fly into Fairbanks and fly back from Anchorage. We plan on researching all the tours available to us. We definitely want scenery, wildlife, some adventure probably limited, no fishing, but want to see the glaciers, tundra, Mt. McKinley. Princess goes to both glaciers on the south cruise and this is a priority.

If you have limited time, you may want to rethink 2 nights at the McKinley Princess. IF there is an alternative cruisetour, including only a 1 night Fairbanks, it could be a better use of time. Always- an extra night/s can be added to Fairbanks. If there is one that includes the Kenai Princess, that would also offer you Seward a significant wildlife jackpot to consider. Also with your scenery and wildlife priority you are best looking at a shuttle bus to at least Eielson in Denali park. Added planning will be required on a cruisetour.

For viewing McKinley, flightseeing is best to be considered. It is rare to see it from the ground.

If you have limited time, you may want to rethink 2 nights at the McKinley Princess. IF there is an alternative cruisetour, including only a 1 night Fairbanks, it could be a better use of time. Always- an extra night/s can be added to Fairbanks. If there is one that includes the Kenai Princess, that would also offer you Seward a significant wildlife jackpot to consider. Also with your scenery and wildlife priority you are best looking at a shuttle bus to at least Eielson in Denali park. Added planning will be required on a cruisetour.

For viewing McKinley, flightseeing is best to be considered. It is rare to see it from the ground.

Thanks! We have much planning to do. Reason we were staying 2 nights in Fairbanks is same price for some reason (within $15) for the extra night and looking for day to transition--cheaper than adding night. We are actually flying back from Vancouver (said Anchorage--woops!). There is the Off the Beaten Path tour but this one seemed a better overall fit.

We went last September and had good weather, one of the reasons we went then was the change of colours in the trees for autumn, it was amazing, we have never seen colours like these before, my husbands hobby is photography so he lived it.

Hello...Like you we were first timers to Alaska last summer. And like you we chose a Princess Cruisetour with 5 days on land and 7 sailing southbound. And like you we were hoping for an "overall general experience of Alaska". Since it was our first time there we planned to include as many varying things as we could to experience different aspects of that magnificent state.

We had not been there numerous times as some posters on here have been, something that of course allows them to "cherry pick" what they are most interested in doing. We wanted to come away feeling we had enjoyed a broad sample of what makes Alaska special.

And we did just that....and on the Princess Cruisetour. I'd read frequent references on here to beware of what you get with those tours....that somehow you'd be cheated out of things in some way, that they weren't as promoted somehow. Well, we never once felt cheated out of anything. It was a wonderful experience for our first time there. We never worried about luggage hauling, had lovely accommodations, were well cared for thru the whole tour, something that was of great value to us.

We absolutely loved our 2 days at the McKinley Princess. Yes, it's a way out in the woods....but that's one of the things we wanted to experience. And we thoroughly loved it there. So relaxing to sit on the deck and Mt McKinley obliged with an extraordinary show of clouds and mountain that had everyone mesmerized on that gorgeous deck. We had a great time going into Talkeetna 2 days and wandering about, taking the jet boat tour and eating at a delightful place called The Roadhouse. Food was excellent, the atmosphere funky and fun and the bakery to die for! We went back twice as we'd enjoyed it so much. People watching was great fun. Then back to our cozy hotel in the woods for a great night's sleep both nights.

Denali Princess was not a favorite...Glitter Gulch didn't entice us at all. But for us it permitted time to go to see Jeff King's sled dogs, something I'd always wanted to do. We did the evening visit the first night...a great way to end the day and Jeff is not to be missed. Even our less than doggy inclined friends had a ball there. The next day was given over to the park touring...we hit the jackpot.....we saw every animal save wolves, the weather was exellent and McKinley came out completely against a bright blue sky. It was jaw dropping gorgeous covered in snow and combined with the fall foliage of late August just blew us away with the beauty of it all. All we wanted to do was go to bed after that long day.

The train ride brought out the kids in all of us 60-something folks. It was fantastic fun and the scenery amazing. We had a shower, then sun, Mc Kinley came out as we left to say good bye.....and foliage along the way was spectacular. I took some of my best ever travel photos on this trip. We adored the train ride all the way to the ship!

Hassle free.....from the moment we left the Captain Cook in Anchorage til the moment we walked onto the ship in Whittier 5 days later.....totally hassle free. Thank you Princess...everything went like clockwork for us.

I am not a Princess cheerleader...matter of fact, for personal reason that was our last Princess trip. Not that they did anything wrong....it was all perfectly executed and was as we expected from what we'd read.

The cruise portion on Diamond was gorgeous. Anyone who doesn't chose a trip that goes to Hubbard AND Glacier Bay is missing some of the greatest essence of Alaska. I'd never choose a trip that did not include these iconic places and I feel sorry for those who unwittingly do so, or whose cruise line isn't permitted to go there.

Would we do this again? YES...in a heartbeat. We sampled such a variety of what makes Alaska unique....we saw the most incredible scenery and watched a variety of wild animals, saw bear feeding on salmon, enjoyed the Yukon and Emerald Lake ( as gorgeous as its name)....in short we got more than our money's worth and far more than we'd expected on a first trip. And a good part of that was thanks to the cruisetour inland....I'd never go again without doing that.

I wish you the same fantastic cruisetour that we had. Do what suits your desires. We did and it was perfect. I got lots of helpful information on this forum for which I was incredibly grateful. We found excellent private tours thanks to references on here. Just sift between things and find what fits for your purposes.

We left Anchorage on the 22nd of August....it was chilly, we ended up buying a couple of warmer parkas, got rained on occasionally, saw the sun occasionally in the right places, went salmon fishing, and had the best time of our lives, and we are a well traveled foursome. Alaska tugged at our heartstrings. So book that trip and enjoy all of it.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

I want to travel with you! I was just thinking how snotty some of the people on CC are getting. Was thinking about not checking in anymore. You've renewed my faith. You found all the positive things I like about travelling. Yes, there will be the glitch now and then. But, I totally agree that Alaska is wonderful. We've been there in early September and mid June. I missed the daylight in September but the fall colors were photo-worthy. Next trip is planned for June 1, 2013. Can't wait.

Lib

Hello...Like you we were first timers to Alaska last summer. And like you we chose a Princess Cruisetour with 5 days on land and 7 sailing southbound. And like you we were hoping for an "overall general experience of Alaska". Since it was our first time there we planned to include as many varying things as we could to experience different aspects of that magnificent state.

We had not been there numerous times as some posters on here have been, something that of course allows them to "cherry pick" what they are most interested in doing. We wanted to come away feeling we had enjoyed a broad sample of what makes Alaska special.

And we did just that....and on the Princess Cruisetour. I'd read frequent references on here to beware of what you get with those tours....that somehow you'd be cheated out of things in some way, that they weren't as promoted somehow. Well, we never once felt cheated out of anything. It was a wonderful experience for our first time there. We never worried about luggage hauling, had lovely accommodations, were well cared for thru the whole tour, something that was of great value to us.

We absolutely loved our 2 days at the McKinley Princess. Yes, it's a way out in the woods....but that's one of the things we wanted to experience. And we thoroughly loved it there. So relaxing to sit on the deck and Mt McKinley obliged with an extraordinary show of clouds and mountain that had everyone mesmerized on that gorgeous deck. We had a great time going into Talkeetna 2 days and wandering about, taking the jet boat tour and eating at a delightful place called The Roadhouse. Food was excellent, the atmosphere funky and fun and the bakery to die for! We went back twice as we'd enjoyed it so much. People watching was great fun. Then back to our cozy hotel in the woods for a great night's sleep both nights.

Denali Princess was not a favorite...Glitter Gulch didn't entice us at all. But for us it permitted time to go to see Jeff King's sled dogs, something I'd always wanted to do. We did the evening visit the first night...a great way to end the day and Jeff is not to be missed. Even our less than doggy inclined friends had a ball there. The next day was given over to the park touring...we hit the jackpot.....we saw every animal save wolves, the weather was exellent and McKinley came out completely against a bright blue sky. It was jaw dropping gorgeous covered in snow and combined with the fall foliage of late August just blew us away with the beauty of it all. All we wanted to do was go to bed after that long day.

The train ride brought out the kids in all of us 60-something folks. It was fantastic fun and the scenery amazing. We had a shower, then sun, Mc Kinley came out as we left to say good bye.....and foliage along the way was spectacular. I took some of my best ever travel photos on this trip. We adored the train ride all the way to the ship!

Hassle free.....from the moment we left the Captain Cook in Anchorage til the moment we walked onto the ship in Whittier 5 days later.....totally hassle free. Thank you Princess...everything went like clockwork for us.

I am not a Princess cheerleader...matter of fact, for personal reason that was our last Princess trip. Not that they did anything wrong....it was all perfectly executed and was as we expected from what we'd read.

The cruise portion on Diamond was gorgeous. Anyone who doesn't chose a trip that goes to Hubbard AND Glacier Bay is missing some of the greatest essence of Alaska. I'd never choose a trip that did not include these iconic places and I feel sorry for those who unwittingly do so, or whose cruise line isn't permitted to go there.

Would we do this again? YES...in a heartbeat. We sampled such a variety of what makes Alaska unique....we saw the most incredible scenery and watched a variety of wild animals, saw bear feeding on salmon, enjoyed the Yukon and Emerald Lake ( as gorgeous as its name)....in short we got more than our money's worth and far more than we'd expected on a first trip. And a good part of that was thanks to the cruisetour inland....I'd never go again without doing that.

I wish you the same fantastic cruisetour that we had. Do what suits your desires. We did and it was perfect. I got lots of helpful information on this forum for which I was incredibly grateful. We found excellent private tours thanks to references on here. Just sift between things and find what fits for your purposes.

We left Anchorage on the 22nd of August....it was chilly, we ended up buying a couple of warmer parkas, got rained on occasionally, saw the sun occasionally in the right places, went salmon fishing, and had the best time of our lives, and we are a well traveled foursome. Alaska tugged at our heartstrings. So book that trip and enjoy all of it.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Thanks so much for the well written comments and review of your Alaska trip. We booked the Diamond for July 2013, 6 days land first, then 7 day cruise going south. We are very excited!!! We plan on carefully scheduling our tours--still so much to learn! This is a great board and we were so pleased to find it and appreciate everyone's feedback. Your support is very encouraging! This will be our 5th cruise, 4th is the Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale to Aruba on the Caribbean Princess in March 2013. We are becoming addicted to cruising!

Sandy

Archived