Camping before departure?

lola4795

We decided to fly down to Miami 3 days ahead of our cruise departure. In researching hotels I came across a link to Florida State Parks. I'm toying with the idea of booking 3 nights in a camping cabin in Oleta River State Park.

Has anyone ever tried this? It is more than 1/2 the price of a hotel. We're from the extreme North, and camping in Florida sounds like a different kind of adventure.

The only thing that I can see as a problem is that the cabins do not have bed linens. We are flying into Miami and don't want to bother with sleeping bags and pillows. My husband thinks that buying them in Miami would be an added expense that really doesn't make the hotel any less expensive than camping.

The price savings is only part of the appeal to me, since it just looks like such a different experience. We would still rent a car and eat all of our meals out. We would also still tour Miami.

Dh is also not too keen on the idea that there are no TVs, etc. in the cabins. I'm not positive this is what we want to do, but I feel like it's worth checking into!

camping and Miami

I have trouble putting those two ideas in the same thought

I lived in Miami for 10 years on and off during the 80's and 90's including two years in south Miami after my home was clobbered by Andrew - that was all the Miami camping I'll ever need!

You could always pick up a cheap set of sheets and blankets at Walmart and just toss them after the 3 days. Not sure when you are looking at going, but it can get pretty cool overnight in Florida over the winter months, and it doesn't say anything about heat on their website. Also, it says no bathrooms, other than the community washrooms/showers "located nearby".

I wouldn't look at doing this only for a cost saving measure, but if it's something that you feel would enhance your vacation experience, then go for it. It might at least make you appreciate the spaciousness and luxury of the cruise cabin, whereas when we stay at a nice hotel, you almost feel claustrophobic in the cabin LOL.

I love Oleta! Its a great place to canoe, bike, swim.

As a cost savings measure I don't know. Keep in mind your going to have to buy pillows, linens, towels and rent a car. When all is said and done, I bet that Walmart bill may approach $100.00.

Also time of year will be a factor. Summer is horribly hot, even November can be pretty warm and until a cold front comes through the mosquitoes will still be in full force. I know the cabins are air conditioned but without a TV, you are going to want to be outside.

If you are dedicated campers, and want to do it for the camping experience I would say go for it. But I think by the time everything works out in the end you would have spent about the same or a little more than a budget hotel.

Archived