Princess Cruisers who've Sailed Carnival... Need Balcony Comparison Please...

alreadypacked

We have 2 (category BD) balcony cabins on courtesy hold with Princess (Ruby and Caribbean) and have to make a decision by Saturday.

When I looked at Princess balcony photos and videos on cruise critic, youtube, and the Princess website, the room seemed really small to me--smaller than a standard Carnival balcony cabin (and a whole lot smaller than our standard balcony on Celebrity Solstice).

Can anyone who has sailed both lines give me a comparison, pros and cons of each, etc. Thanks.:)

We have 2 (category BD) balcony cabins on courtesy hold with Princess (Ruby and Caribbean) and have to make a decision by Saturday.

When I looked at Princess balcony photos and videos on cruise critic, youtube, and the Princess website, the room seemed really small to me--smaller than a standard Carnival balcony cabin (and a whole lot smaller than our standard balcony on Celebrity Solstice).

Can anyone who has sailed both lines give me a comparison, pros and cons of each, etc. Thanks.:)

Actually, the balconies that you have booked are bigger than regular Carnival balconies, and a little deeper... My husband was nervous on the Carnival balconies, but not so on the Princess ones. The cabins are really standard, about the same as a regular Carnival cabin. Of course, the aft extended balcony is much bigger on Carnival. I hope it helps. There is also plenty of room for clothes, etc. The bathroom is just a tad smaller on Princess. Bigger balconies on Princess are located on Caribe deck, and those are category BB or BA. If you need a lot of space, I would consider booking a mini-suite instead. All in all, I have never had a bad cabin on Princess!

Actually, the balconies that you have booked are bigger than regular Carnival balconies, and a little deeper... My husband was nervous on the Carnival balconies, but not so on the Princess ones. The cabins are really standard, about the same as a regular Carnival cabin. Of course, the aft extended balcony is much bigger on Carnival. I hope it helps. There is also plenty of room for clothes, etc. The bathroom is just a tad smaller on Princess. Bigger balconies on Princess are located on Caribe deck, and those are category BB or BA. If you need a lot of space, I would consider booking a mini-suite instead. All in all, I have never had a bad cabin on Princess!

Thanks for the info! I have been on Princess once before (8 years ago) but it was an inside cabin that I have no photos of and don't remember all that well. I would be open to the Caribe balconies if they were fully covered, but it sounds like the BD will be sufficient.

If you're talking about the size of the cabin, not the balcony, and having sailed in both, I would say the Carnival cabin is definitely larger.

Yes, I was mostly wondering about the size of the cabin itself, and your answer has confirmed my initial impression. Thanks for the info.

Yes, I was mostly wondering about the size of the cabin itself, and your answer has confirmed my initial impression. Thanks for the info.
Not sure of the square footage but the living space in the cabin is probably smaller. However, instead of wardrobe closets along the hallway, Princess cabins have an open, dressing area/closet with a wardrobe at the end with floor-to-ceiling shelves. The closet rod is the width of the cabin less the hallway. There's more storage in Princess cabins than I've experienced on any other cruise line. Having the dressing area with the bathroom door opening to it rather than the hallway is a plus for some, particularly if one of you is an early riser.

Not sure of the square footage but the living space in the cabin is probably smaller. However, instead of wardrobe closets along the hallway, Princess cabins have an open, dressing area/closet with a wardrobe at the end with floor-to-ceiling shelves. The closet rod is the width of the cabin less the hallway. There's more storage in Princess cabins than I've experienced on any other cruise line. Having the dressing area with the bathroom door opening to it rather than the hallway is a plus for some, particularly if one of you is an early riser.

Excellent point--thanks Pam!

One of the things I like most about Princess cabins as compared to the other lines I've sailed (Carnival, HAL, and Royal Caribbean).

I don't know the difference is square footage between the Carnival cabin and Princess cabins I've had but I will say the Carnival cabin did seem to have a little more floor space (room to walk) It could be the layout of the furniture on the particular cabin I had.

I don't really remember the Carnival regular balcony cabin size (135 sq ft-?) ThePrincess balcony is 45sq ft, Carnival 35sq ft. The extra balcony footage reduces the Princess cabin size. This is for ordinary cabins, not the specialty cabins,

Carnival cabins have a couch but less closet space, bigger bathrooms on Carnival as well. Princess has larger balconies with a sliding door which I prefer to a door that opens and slams.

Here, here! We were on Carnival Spirit over Spring break last March and those SLAMMING doors were a source of irritation the entire trip. We don't plan to sail with Carnival again (long story--NOT Princess) but if we were to consider it we would never have another balcony for that very reason.

msk1

I don't really remember the Carnival regular balcony cabin size (135 sq ft-?) ThePrincess balcony is 45sq ft, Carnival 35sq ft. The extra balcony footage reduces the Princess cabin size. This is for ordinary cabins, not the specialty cabins,

The standard balcony size on Carnival ships is 185 sq ft

Standard Princess cabins are smaller than Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Except on Ocean and Pacific Princess.
Definitely NOT Celebrity! The tiniest cabin I've had since the old Royal Princess was on the Summit a year ago in a balcony cabin. I had a tape measure and from the end of the bed to the wall was 11". The length of a standard piece of paper. On Princess, cabin widths are 9' which means that there's at least 2' between the end of the bed and wall, enough room for someone to walk past or wheel a suitcase. Even the skinny steward had to go sideways to get past it. The cabin was so narrow that if you were sitting in the chair at the desk, the table had to be pushed against the tiny couch and over the cushions. If you were using the couch and table, the desk chair had to be under the desk. The bathroom door did daily battle with the wardrobe doors. You couldn't have them both open at the same time. Even the couch was jammed in there at an angle because it wouldn't fit against the wall, and for all practical purposes, unusable. Here's my Summit balcony cabin:

CelebrityCabin2.jpg

FYI, here's a photo of the Princess closet/dressing area. You can see the handle of the bathroom door on the right:

Sapphire%2520closet.jpg

All great info--thanks so much everyone!

And Pam, I feel your pain in that Summit cabin. DH and I had a similarly small cabin on NCL Sky. It so small and so lacking in storage space that we each had our suitcases wedged between the bed and the wall on each side, and we crawled into bed from the foot.:eek:

I can guarantee that Princess's regular balconies are bigger than Carnival's regular balconies... Been there, done that. Carnival's regular balconies are very narrow.
I have never been on Carnival but an average 185sf balcony sounds like a huge balcony to me. From photos of Carnival ships and deck plans, and according to a website I checked, standard Carnival balcony cabins are 185sf, including the cabin. The balcony is 60sf. According to the same website, standard Ruby Princess balcony cabins are 231-285sf, including the balcony, depending on the category and deck.

I have never been on Carnival but an average 185sf balcony sounds like a huge balcony to me. From photos of Carnival ships and deck plans, and according to a website I checked, standard Carnival balcony cabins are 185sf, including the cabin. The balcony is 60sf. According to the same website, standard Ruby Princess balcony cabins are 231-285sf, including the balcony, depending on the category and deck.

Pam, thank you for putting in technical terms. As I probably will not be cruising Carnival any more, unless my son takes me, the point for me is moot. I do know that the regular balconies on Princess, such as Baja, where we had one, we were able to do the UBD without a problem, whereas it would have been next to impossible on a Carnival balcony.

Glad you had a great trip back East!

Archived