Pride of America Suites

nathand95

Hello fellow CCers! It's been awhile since I have been on, but cruise planning time is upon us!!!! How I've missed this feeling!

I graduate high school in May 2013 (I'm 17 right now.) ,so my parents and I are looking at the Pride of America for summer of 2013 (June 8th specifically). As of right now, it will just be us 3: my mom,stepdad, and I, but my older sister may come along. We have been eyeing a 2 bedroom family suite (category SH) and I have a few questions. We've never been in a suite before.

1.)What sorts of perks could we expect?

2.)Would a category SH be spacious enough for 3-4 people? We love our own space, but we are a close family. At the time of cruising I will be 18 and my sister will be 21:eek:

3.)Any pictures of a cat SH?

4.)Is the price worth it?

5.)Unrelated to the suite, how is cruising at age 18? I'll be too old for the teen club and too young for adult club, so I'm a little worried about whether I will have fun or not. In the past I've found friends in the teen club and hung out in there.

The biggest question of all is if doing Hawaii by boat or by land would be better.

Also, any others comments or advice would be great. Thank you so much in advance!!!:)

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-accommodations/suites-and-penthouses

2.)Would a category SH be spacious enough for 3-4 people? We love our own space, but we are a close family. At the time of cruising I will be 18 and my sister will be 21:eek:

You're probably going to be looking at mom/dad in one room and then you or your sister in the other room and one on the living room couch. Perfectly doable, but up to you guys and whether you'd like this arrangement.

Some say yes, some say no.

5.)Unrelated to the suite, how is cruising at age 18? I'll be too old for the teen club and too young for adult club, so I'm a little worried about whether I will have fun or not. In the past I've found friends in the teen club and hung out in there.

Hawaii is a very port intensive cruise. You'll be spending a lot of time in the ports and probably not on the ship. I wouldn't worry about not fitting into the teen/adult clubs. Even when you're on the ship. Still plenty to do.

The biggest question of all is if doing Hawaii by boat or by land would be better.

Depends on how much of Hawaii you want to see. I think it's the best way to see multiple islands. You don't spend a lot of your time hopping islands by plane. You get on the ship, it moves at night, during the day you get all day (or multiple) to explore the islands. And all the food is included (as long as you're on the ship).

Hello fellow CCers! It's been awhile since I have been on, but cruise planning time is upon us!!!! How I've missed this feeling!

I graduate high school in May 2013 (I'm 17 right now.) ,so my parents and I are looking at the Pride of America for summer of 2013 (June 8th specifically). As of right now, it will just be us 3: my mom,stepdad, and I, but my older sister may come along. We have been eyeing a 2 bedroom family suite (category SH) and I have a few questions. We've never been in a suite before.

3.)Any pictures of a cat SH?

Also, any others comments or advice would be great. Thank you so much in advance!!!:)

Our family of 5 sailed the POA on 7/16/11 in a cat SH suite.

We would do it again in a heart beat.

Take alook at my lengthy review of our land vacation and cruise vacation in Hawaii.

See the link below.There are a lot of tips, pictures and answers to your questions imbedded in the review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1465217

OP, you are one lucky 17 year old! I want to answer your biggest question first. If you have never been to Hawaii before, then sailing on POA is the absolute best way to see the major islands in a short period of time, with overnights in Maui and Kauai, which are my 2 favorite islands. It's a very good use of time. Since you are so young, you will have the opportunity to pick your favorites too and maybe someday return for a land vacation.

As one of the other posters said, it is a very port intensive cruise with no full sea days. Beaches, water activities, plane/helicopter rides (highly recommend that you do one in Kauai), ziplining. There is so much to do. Missing out on the teen club is not going to make much of a difference, and you will probably be worn out in the evenings after dinner anyway.

We stayed in a penthouse suite, but we were only 2 people. I believe you have picked the appropriate room, especially since you are going with your mom and stepfather. With 2 bedrooms, you will all have your own private space without booking 2 separate cabins.

Let us know your ultimate decision.

Archived