Beijing to Xian

ggglo

Has anyone done a private tour from Beijing to Xian? We will be arriving in Beijing in oct. On diamond princess and would like to book a two day tour to Xian. We have already been to Beijing, so we would come back and stay one more day.

Need recommendation from someone whs has done this Tour.

There are several agencies which could help you. I have not used any of them, but one which gets frequent positive mentions hers is China Highlights. Do a search here and you will find them mentioned.

Another adventure that is really worth the time and money is a trip to Chengdu, home of the giant panda. Easy flight from Beijing. There is the breeding facility which is world renowned. You are allowed to hold the baby pandas (for a small fee, of course). You can feed them and be among them for most of the day. For the really adventurous, a trip to Wolong Preserve for giant pandas in the wild is truly a spectacular trip. I spent two days in Wolong as well as one day at the breeding facility in Chengdu. Nothing fancy in Wolong but you are not there for 5* accommodations. Seeing pandas in the wild is truly a once in a lifetime experience. http://www.chinagiantpanda.com/chinapandatour/index.htm

Chengdu is also the gateway to Tibet. I have been and had a truly spectacular trip (although very expensive because I went to both Tibet and Nepal, some of it by helicopter). China has now cut off access to Tibet again, so a return trip will probably never be.

I use China Highlights for all my trips into China (I do business there as well as play tourist). They have truly come through for everything I have ever asked them to do-from translators to drivers to having contracts reviewed by Chinese attorneys to having a catered business dinner at the Summer Palace for business associates. They are one of the oldest, most well established tour agencies in China AND have the all important CTS (China Travel Service) designation, which is really a holdover from before Westerners were allowed to travel much in China. Years ago, China was like Russia-you had a guide that was government approved and stayed with you ALWAYS. Not that way anymore but the CTS designation indicates a travel agent/tour company that has a long standing reputation and provides service that meets very stringent Chinese government specifications.

Hi Gina, I haven't talked with you for awhile....

We're in the midst of planning an independent land trip into China in late February/early March, after our SE Asia cruises. FWIW, I had asked the guide we have lined up for our time in Chengdu about going too the Wolong Preserve, and was told that the area is still closed to tourists. It seems that there was lots of damage during the 2008 earthquake, and even though the area is being worked on, the roads may not be open in time for our tour there.

As far as Tibet, it seems the recent closing by China tends to coincide with Tibet's religious holidays which are usually well attended. So it people can't get in......... Maybe planning a trip there when there are no big events scheduled is the key to getting in. Historically, it seems China closes entry during these times, but opens access again after the events are over.

Hope all is well,

Mary

We're in the midst of planning an independent land trip into China in late February/early March, after our SE Asia cruises. FWIW, I had asked the guide we have lined up for our time in Chengdu about going too the Wolong Preserve, and was told that the area is still closed to tourists. It seems that there was lots of damage during the 2008 earthquake, and even though the area is being worked on, the roads may not be open in time for our tour there.

You really should be fine in Feb/March 2013. According to one of my contacts in Chongqing, they started moving the pandas back to Wolong in March 2012. They are not all moved back (from zoos all over China) and the work continues. But another 10 months or so, all should be finished as far as the fixed facility.

Now the pandas in the wild-I can't gather much info whether they have actually returned to the area. Sightings have been rather sporadic but again, the wild pandas may all be hiding because of the construction and amount of people that are in the area fixing the facility. The wild pandas are used to only a few researchers and caretakers in the area. I would keep pursuing it right up until you leave for return to the USA. It truly was a once in a lifetime experience to see them in the wild.

As far as Tibet, it seems the recent closing by China tends to coincide with Tibet's religious holidays which are usually well attended. So it people can't get in......... Maybe planning a trip there when there are no big events scheduled is the key to getting in. Historically, it seems China closes entry during these times, but opens access again after the events are over.

Hope all is well,

Mary

You are correct about the religious holidays but it sure appears that China is cracking down more and more on any dissension anyplace in China. I really don't want to go back to Tibet but I sure would like to take that helicopter/bus trip in the mountains again. They offer it from the Nepal side but it is more than double the price as from the Tibet side-$10,000. I sure can't afford that. It was a stretch to do it from Tibet but oh so cool flying that close to Everest and K-2.

You really should be fine in Feb/March 2013. According to one of my contacts in Chongqing, they started moving the pandas back to Wolong in March 2012. They are not all moved back (from zoos all over China) and the work continues. But another 10 months or so, all should be finished as far as the fixed facility.

Now the pandas in the wild-I can't gather much info whether they have actually returned to the area. Sightings have been rather sporadic but again, the wild pandas may all be hiding because of the construction and amount of people that are in the area fixing the facility. The wild pandas are used to only a few researchers and caretakers in the area. I would keep pursuing it right up until you leave for return to the USA. It truly was a once in a lifetime experience to see them in the wild.

You are correct about the religious holidays but it sure appears that China is cracking down more and more on any dissension anyplace in China. I really don't want to go back to Tibet but I sure would like to take that helicopter/bus trip in the mountains again. They offer it from the Nepal side but it is more than double the price as from the Tibet side-$10,000. I sure can't afford that. It was a stretch to do it from Tibet but oh so cool flying that close to Everest and K-2.

This is great news about the panda being moved back, and something that I will definitely keep on top of. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to see the pandas in the wild, but if we can, I'm going to try to get there.

Unfortunately, as far as Tibet goes, we will have to worship from afar!!!!

Mary

Has anyone done a private tour from Beijing to Xian? We will be arriving in Beijing in oct. On diamond princess and would like to book a two day tour to Xian. We have already been to Beijing, so we would come back and stay one more day.

We are also coming in on the diamond in October. After booking a highly rated private guide we found on through trip advisor ratings in Beijing for a couple days and exploring another one or two on our own, we asked for advice on one in Xi'an. She referred me to a "good one" there who is now set up to meet us at the airport after a short flight. He'll handle transfers and one day guide service while there.

Can't say for certain as we have yet to actually experience them yet but I feel pretty good about both as of today.

We are coming into Beijing on the Diamond Princess sailing from Bangkok to Beijing Oct. 25. Because I thought it too cold in November we are touring Beijing from Oct. 14-18 then flying to Xi an ($193 one way and all flights have the same cost or so it seems). Our tour company is China Odyssey which I found recommended on TA and CC. They have worked with me very well and I have dozens of emails tweeking everything to be just what the 3 of us want. We will be transferred to the airport on the morning of the 18th but will fly alone -- no guide accompanies us -and then will be picked up and tour of Xian starts. Same tour company but different guides for each city. We then fly from Xi an to someplace and then on to Bangkok on Oct. 20. I plan to buy my tickets from ctrip.com or from expedia. The price was much cheaper for me to buy rather than the tour company. I have also been told that if you buy your tickets much before 60 days out that you will pay waayy too much. This is the advice of the folks on trip advisor though I really would like to have tickets in hand or at least the eticket. Supposedly the Chinese are last minute buyers and that the airlines do not do well at meeting the schedule. The airport code for Beijing is PEK and the airport code for Xi an is XIY. Sometimes you see SIA for Xi an but THIS DOES NOT WORK. Go to ITA matrix and you will see all airlines and flights available between PEK and XIY. Many are code shares but it looks like several morning, afternoon and night. Good luck.

You have correct information about the tickets. Book later rather than sooner. We booked just a few weeks before we left home. Keep an eye on the prices, and again ask about prices on TripAdvisor. I know it goes against the grain, but I certainly found this advice to be correct.

We have many friends who did this tour with Jeff from Beijing Discovery Tours and had a fabulours trip. Jeff is great to work with and does tours throughout China. We used him for all of our China ports and had wonderful tours and guides. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We had our guide drop us at the train station and took the over night train in 1st class to Xian where the next guide was waiting to pick us put for that part fo our tour. It was cheaper than flying and we saved a night in a hotel.

Hope all is well,

Mary

FYI, the recent closing of Tibet's border to foreign tourists appears to have coincided with two self-immolations in front of Johkang Temple on May 27, in protest of China's rule. I was visiting Tibet in May during the holy month just prior to that, and there were no restrictions until the immolations took place. I understand that foreign tourists must be part of an organized tour to get permission to visit Tibet. It was the hightlight of our recent tour to China--really amazing culture and people.

FYI, the recent closing of Tibet's border to foreign tourists appears to have coincided with two self-immolations in front of Johkang Temple on May 27, in protest of China's rule. I was visiting Tibet in May during the holy month just prior to that, and there were no restrictions until the immolations took place. I understand that foreign tourists must be part of an organized tour to get permission to visit Tibet. It was the hightlight of our recent tour to China--really amazing culture and people.

Coincidence? Probably just that.

Mary

Chloe,

I will gladly defer to your experiences there and the news report you posted. My statement followed shortly after the news report that I heard on TV here (Local? Network? - can't remember), with no mention of self immolation at all. The short news blurb mentioned the Tibetan religious events, also specifically mentioned (not inferred), that the closing of the borders seems to be something that does occur during that time, with the timing of the border reopening, when the holy days or events were over.

I appreciate that you sought to kindly correct my evidently incorrect post, although I certainly did not expect to incite any furor.:)

Mary

Archived