Our day at the Hyatt was perfect!!

jozuko

Just returned from sailing on the Voyager of the Seas 4/23-4/30. After reading the posts on this site, we decided to spend our day in Grand Cayman at the Hyatt. What a find!!! We went with two families 4 adults and 5 kids. Took a cab from the peir for $3per person. When we arrived at the Hyatt, I went into the hotel office to inquire about purchasing day passes, but since Grand Cayman is an hour behind ship time, I was told that the pool bar was not opened yet but that we could go onto the beach (it was only about 9am GC time). We grabbed some towels which were sitting out by the pool and headed for the beach which was completely empty. We grabbed a bunch of chairs and began our great day. Each chair has an individual canopy which you can pull up if you want shade. A guard did come over to us about 1/2 hour later to ask if we were guests of the hotel. We told him that we would be purchasing day passes and that was the last time he approached us. When the pool bar opened, we bought 4 adult passes (we didn't ask about the kids, and they didn't either!) We gave them our credit card imprints which set up our account ($35 per person, $15 of which goes toward your food and drink tab). The staff was friendlyl, they came out onto the beach several times to take our drink orders. The beach is beautiful and the water is nice. The entrance to the water is a little rocky, so wearing pool shoes or aquasocks would help. We ate lunch by the pool. Food was pretty good. We used the pool which was very nice. We only told one other family on our cruise about the Hyatt, and they showed up and had a great day too. The place was basically empty except for our three families, which was great. So, my advice, go to the Hyatt, but keep it quiet, you dont want it to get filled up with too many other tourists!

Sounds like a great day! We are going next week. Was there parasailing or banana boats availale? Also, is there a swim up bar?

One more question- any music playing?

Thanks! Can't wait to get to GC.:cool:

Hi Hopelan,

Yes, there was a swim up bar. Im not sure if there was music playing, if so it was soft background music and I didnt notice. There is a rental place right next door for water sports. My son inquired about waterskiing, but was told that the water was too rough that day. Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

jozuko: I have also been considering going to the Hyatt for the day. Sounds great! I am also curious/concerned about getting back to the ship from there. Where do you get a cab for the ride back? and how much time should I allow? Thanks in advance for the info!

We were there in March. There was a taxi waiting out in front. If there isn't one there, they are lined up in the afternoon to take cruisers back from the Colony, which is packed with cruisers, and right next door. The ride takes less than 10 minutes.:)

Maryjohn,

Yes it is pretty normal in the Caribbean (and other cruise destinations). If you are interested in spending the day at a resort that you don't see mentioned on CruiseCritic, call or email the hotel directly, and they will usually respond with their set day pass price, as well as what it includes. I have found most beach resorts to be more than willing to allow cruise passengers to spend the day (and their money) at the resort! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably about a 15 minutes taxi ride, if traffic isn't bad.

And I don't recommend the Marriott. The beach there is not as nice as the Hyatt. The Marriott Courtyard is better than the Marriott.

June

Archived