Oceania Dancing Atmosphere

VerminGuards

We are considering taking dance lessons and would like to tailor the lessons to fit our upcoming Oceania adventure.

What is the dance atmosphere like on Riviera or other Oceania ships? I'm guessing it is similar ship-to-ship throughout Oceania.

We are considering taking dance lessons and would like to tailor the lessons to fit our upcoming Oceania adventure.

What is the dance atmosphere like on Riviera or other Oceania ships? I'm guessing it is similar ship-to-ship throughout Oceania.

I don't think that I'd bother with the classes in preparation for an Oceania cruise, passenger dancing is not one of their strong points.

There are dance floors in Horizions (the Observation Lounge) and in the Main Lounges of each ship (the names vary, but I mean the show-room).

The ships' Orchestra plays dance music (American Standards in the Big Band Style) in the main lounge for about an hour each evening before the Show.

After the Show, Horizons becomes something of a discotheque (sometimes a combo, sometimes a DJ). The music up there is usually more modern.

Unfortunately, despite Oceania's best efforts, there is an unfortunate lack of passenger participation. There are seldom as many as three or four couples on the floor, and Horizons closes early more often than not, because all the passengers have "gone home" by midnight.

To be fair, this may be a result of the port intensive itineraries that Oceania has become famous for, and/or the fact that Oceania's passengers have reached an age where burning the candle at both ends is not as much fun as it used to be.

Whatever the reason.......dancing fools we ain't ;)

On our Feb. / March b2b Down Under and Coral Seas cruises there were more than the average number of dancers on board. The lounge was often crowded well before showtime and those who did not dance were supportive and appreciative of those who did, applauding after each song. Since we did have several sea days, dancing sometimes became the focal point of the evening, including Captain's cocktail party, prom night and, on March 17, Irish pub ~ where the dancing never included an Irish jig. Sea day activities often included a variety of line dances. It was all great fun, but none of it required dance lessons in advance. BTW, the dance music was varied, with ballroom, Latin and 40's and 50's rock. The enthusiasm level for dancing will depend on the make-up of the passengers. We've seen everything from empty dance floors to crowded ones such as on our most recent cruise. Enjoy!

Harriet

Dance lessons are a wonderful way of getting some gentle exercise without the need for alot of expensive equipment and it is something you can do together for a very long time. So go for it and take those lessons! And don't be worried if you are the only ones on the floor - it's your cruise so do what you want to do. And remember that if you can move in a way that fits the music you'll look great. Have fun and dance up a storm!

We were on the Nautica last year and planned our evenings around the dancing. There was a very good combo in horizons before dinner then about 45 minutes of dancing in the show lounge before the show. The music lent itself to swing, foxtrot waltz or other styles. After dinner in Horizons, it was more disco/modern. We will be on Marina in the fall. Looking at the deck plans for Marina and Riviera, it doesn't look like there is a dance floor in the show lounge. Does anyone know whether that's true? As for the dance lessons, definitely do it. My husband and I have taken many lessons and enjoy dancing wherever we go. bigred70

it doesn't look like there is a dance floor in the show lounge. Does anyone know whether that's true?

Dancing takes place in front of the Orchestra, which is a step up from the auditorium floor and some people say that it feels a bit like being "on stage" but people do dance there:

Marina-Lounge-0356.JPG

Jim and Stan, is the step up on all of the ships (in particular, I'm wondering about Riveria)? I don't mind the being on stage feeling, it's the dancing off the stage feeling I really dislike!

The step up only applies to Marina and Riviera.

The older, smaller ships have a true, traditional dance floor in their main lounges

Oceania_Regatta_045.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Archived