Colon Hotels?

twokey

Disclaimer, I have not stayed at either of these places... just familiar with their location. I would say the majority of people usually spend pre cruise in and around Panama City since Colon is not the garden spot of the world. Having said that there are a couple of decent looking hotels in the area. The Radisson is located adjacent to the cruise terminal, so that would be convenient. There also the Sol Melia located on the former US Army base of Ft. Gulick, this hotel is about 15 minutes from the port.

A note of caution, Colon is not any place you want to head out an explore on your own. About the only place that would be safe is the shopping mall that is near the hotel and cruise terminal. If you want to go out, hire a cab to take you to places like Gatun Locks before you set sail.

Couple of web sites for the hotels in question....

http://www.radisson.com/cuidad-de-colon-hotel-pa-0301-01074/papaco

http://www.melia.com/hotels/panama/colon/melia-panama-canal/home.htm

I would like to 2nd that cautionary note about Colon. Unemployment is very high so crime is pretty rampant. Even the Cruise dock is behind gates with police guards (with automatic weapons). Staying in Panama City is a much safer option (of course, depending on what section you stay in). There are more entertainment and feeding options that are safe, and it's an hour or so ride to Colon. Hire a car that will take you right to the cruise terminal. Be aware that Colon has no stop signs and very few traffic signals, which makes driving there pretty much a nightmare.

Now, having said all that, have fun!:D

Thank you for the suiggestions. I have discovered the idea of taking the PANATRAIN from Panama City to Port. It rides along the canal and says passengers get nice views of the Gatun Locks and rainforests.

That sounds pretty good. The price is right, also. It advertises $35US per person.

I'll try to learn more,

The ride on the PRR is worth it if you can swing it. Previously the regular passenger service only operated M-F at 7:15AM and one return trip at 5:15PM. It would make for a long day in Colon if you did not have a tour arranged upon your arrival. They may alter their schedule when there is a cruise ship in port, but I don't have any info whether they do or not. You probably have become aware that Colon is not a see it yourself city, it is fine if you are with a cabby or on an arranged tour.

The following link is the schedule of the PRR from their website..

http://www.panarail.com/en/passenger/index-01.html

Thank you for the suiggestions. I have discovered the idea of taking the PANATRAIN from Panama City to Port. It rides along the canal and says passengers get nice views of the Gatun Locks and rainforests.

That sounds pretty good. The price is right, also. It advertises $35US per person.

I'll try to learn more,

We rode it, and it was fun. You can purchase a beverage on board and sit at a table. For a better view, pay extra and sit in the dome car. Be sure to wave at Noriega as you go by the prison he's in. You might see if you can arrange a cab to pick you up at the train stop (not really a station, just a big awning to get off the train under).

Have fun!:D

• 2 weeks later...

The Radisson is by far the best hotel in Colon and is just a short walk from RCCL's Home Port and Colon 2000 which is used by most Carnival-related ships. There is also a Sheraton Four Points also nice, but further away. If you had more time I'd suggest the Gamboa Resort hotel, which is a drive from Colon - almost half way to Panama City - but very nice.

Re: Mr. Noriega: You get a great view of El Renacer [to be "reborn"] Prison from the ship as it passes by in the Canal and hopefully you have a good commentator on the bridge to point it out. Don't expect a fancy, expensive US-style prison. Northbound it is just after Gaillard Cut before the entrance of the Chagres River and southbound would be right after the Chagres and the little bridge.

Regards, Richard

Archived