Who has just used a birth certificate? A few questions if you please.

6 of us

My kids' passports have just expired, not sure I can afford to get all 4 before we cruise again.

I read on Carnival that a birth certificate is enough. Honestly, I don't want to take any chances. Have any of you really boarded with just a birth certificate?? We are beginning & ending at the same U.S. port by the way, per the guidelines to use a birth certificate.

ALSO - is it "vital records" the place you guys got your official copies of birth certificates? How much were they, do you recall?

I want to be sure I don't screw this up & not be able to board. HAve always just used passports. :D. I appreciate your help!

My kids' passports have just expired, not sure I can afford to get all 4 before we cruise again.

I read on Carnival that a birth certificate is enough. Honestly, I don't want to take any chances. Have any of you really boarded with just a birth certificate?? We are beginning & ending at the same U.S. port by the way, per the guidelines to use a birth certificate.

ALSO - is it "vital records" the place you guys got your official copies of birth certificates? How much were they, do you recall?

I want to be sure I don't screw this up & not be able to board. HAve always just used passports. :D. I appreciate your help!

Are both biological parents travelling, if yes then you will be fine. I just used mine on a cruise in May 2012 with no issues. I did carry my expired passport just in case.

We do not have passports and have cruised 7 times with two more coming up. We have, however ordered them just because of the prices going up later this year. I think July. I think we paid like $20? You'll be fine. It can take up to a month to receive, so I would order quickly. We did it online.

I've only cruised with birth certificates and my kids as well. Never had a passport. I'm sure it is preferable to have one but I don't.

The important thing is that you have an original birth certificate--I believe it needs to have a raised seal. I did't actually order one for our cruise--my parents gave me mine and my kids have had their own since birth (I believe we ordered these right after they were born).

Just make sure you also have a driver's license/state ID.

BC's are just fine. How old are the kids? What about the passport cards for a cheaper alternative? They are just $30 each for under 16 year olds. Do you leave the country often by air? If so, the cards won't work but they are an alternative and you have plenty of time to get them. Ours came in about 3 weeks.

Use them. It works just like a passport.

Wrong. They might get you on the ship, and if there are no problems they work for getting you back to your home port on the ship, but if there is a problem with missing the ship, BC do not work just like a passport.

Gregg

I wouldn't take the chance that one of my children might have a medical emergency and need to be airlifted back to the U.S. but wouldn't be allowed because they didn't have a passport. However, I'm also not much of a gambler either.

I used my original Birth Certificate and driver's license in March, no problems.

Last year took my son's friend(13) with us and used his Birth Certificate, along with the letter from his parents. No problems.

Wrong. They might get you on the ship, and if there are no problems they work for getting you back to your home port on the ship, but if there is a problem with missing the ship, BC do not work just like a passport.

Gregg

I simply meant for the reasons you stated. I didn't think it through very well before speaking to the question. Thanks for adding the info to make sure the info was received correctly.

Birth certificates are no problem. Use the ones you would use to get passports and you are ready to go. If any are 16 or older they will need a photo ID like a DL, but other than that no problems.

BC's are just fine. How old are the kids? What about the passport cards for a cheaper alternative? They are just $30 each for under 16 year olds. Do you leave the country often by air? If so, the cards won't work but they are an alternative and you have plenty of time to get them. Ours came in about 3 weeks.

Cards are worthless for cruising. Sure they work to get you on and off the ship but so do BCs and neither of them allow you to fly, so why spend the money for a card that is designed for land travel into Canada?

I've only cruised with birth certificates and my kids as well. Never had a passport. I'm sure it is preferable to have one but I don't.

The important thing is that you have an original birth certificate--I believe it needs to have a raised seal. I did't actually order one for our cruise--my parents gave me mine and my kids have had their own since birth (I believe we ordered these right after they were born).

Just make sure you also have a driver's license/state ID.

Not all birth certs use the "raised seal" these days, a lot of counties have gone to water marks, holograms and other methods of "certifying the birth certs.

We have always used birth certificates with no problems. The city I live in is also the county seat. I can go to the local community health office and get a birth certificate printed in a matter of about ten minutes and $15 (we were born in the state we live in). The only time I have ran into a problem not having a passport will be here in a couple of weeks....we are cruising Alaska and some of the tours out of Skagway cross into Canada, which requires a passport. Kicking myself....

We used birth certificates for our kids. I think the price depends on the state you get them from. I can't remember if they were $20 or $40. I have only ordered them once per kid. When I ordered I got one regular and one pocket size. So I always have a spare and that's why I haven't had to order any since.

I wouldn't take the chance that one of my children might have a medical emergency and need to be airlifted back to the U.S. but wouldn't be allowed because they didn't have a passport. However, I'm also not much of a gambler either.

I have never had a passport, always use a birth certificate. If you need a certified copy get it from vitalchekdot com fairly inexpensive and quick.

And don't worry for one second about the post I quoted. No American citizen will be left to die in a foreign port because they did not have a passport. The American embassy/official will arrange all necessary travel in a real emergency and the details will be sorted out later.

Even non-US citizens are allowed into the country for medical emergencies.

Cards are worthless for cruising. Sure they work to get you on and off the ship but so do BCs and neither of them allow you to fly, so why spend the money for a card that is designed for land travel into Canada?

As passport cards use the same application process as passports I would expect that one advantage of having one is that if you needed to fly back the process would be shortened.

The biggest advantage that I've seen is for someone that has had a name change (or two or three) has the ability to carry only one ID instead of a lot of bridging paperwork.

And if someone's personal travel patterns consists solely of land border crossings and cruises then the passport card is the answer.

Archived