Noro Virus..

Michaline

I'll be going on my first cruise this December and am worried sick about the Noro virus. My mom can't believe I'm going because I think she's thinks there are outbreaks on EVERY cruise. Well I know December is kind of flu season (I'm deathly afraid of puke & illnesses), and I just want to know if any of you have ever been on a cruise where there was an outbreak. Also, how do you avoid getting sick (just wash your hands a lot and use sanitizer?) or is there anythign else you could do? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated LOL, I don't want my first cruise to be a disaster.

I was on ship that had an outbreak and, despite my constant vigilance, I was stricken on the next to the last day. I do not remember ever being so sick. I was solo and was quarantined, I barely remember how I got home, and I was sick for a week after.

Noro virus can and does happen on ships. Personal hygene is your best (not perfect) defense. Number one on the list is wash your hands frequently and use the hand sanitizers that are made available on many ships now.

Note on hand washing:

• Use warm/hot soapy water and scrub for minimum 20 seconds (from local Board of Health, Columbus, OH)
  • Use a towel on the door knob/handlle when you exit the restroom (Not everyone is as good as you and I at washing before leaving the restroom :eek: )

Charlie

Caviar Gal, I'm so sorry you got so sick. I hope that hasn't soured you to cruising :(

Just some interesting facts (I used to work for a clinical testing lab and was privy to a great deal of info on communicable diseases): The Noro virus is the most common virus in the world. And, it's one of the most contageous. The media has way overdone the coverage on this thing. There are hundreds of different strands of this virus and that's why it's so widespread. Once you have one strand, you'll never get it again (just like chicken pox). However, you can easily contract another strand. The good news: in typical cases, it's overwith in about 48 hours (my guess, Caviar Girl is that you had come in contact with more than one virus and that's why you were so sick for so long). The bad news: it's airborne; that means you can cough in someone's direction and that person can "breathe" it in and contract the virus. That's why it's running rampid through cruise ships. It gets into the ventilation system and travels cabin to cabin. And, there is no way that any ship can prevent it from spreading. They would literally have to take the entire ventilation system apart and scrub every panel, screw and bolt to get rid of it completely.

Being vigilant about sanitation is always a good idea. And, that definitely helps slow down the spread somewhat. I would recommend two things: when you arrive, bring anti-bacterial wipes with you to wipe down doorknobs, telephone, handles, etc (they're are usually overlooked when the cabin is cleaned between passengers). That will stop the spread of other viruses as well. Secondly, you should boost your own immune system. Some people simply have the capability to fight off some viruses. I take a multi-vitamin with zinc every day. Zinc DOES decrease the effects and timeline of most viruses.

I hope this helps. Try not to be paranoid and keep a positive attitude. Your cruise should be wonderful!!!!

BTW, you're right, the Noro virus in not on EVERY cruis ship! :D

You can get Noro virus just about anywhere. A hotel, restaurant, movie theatre, your local grocery store, your office, your school, anywhere there are other people. Cruise ships are unfairly targeted because they have to report incidences after a certain percentage of people onboard report the illness (I think it is 2%). No one else has to do this.

Unfortunatly, the virus is out there, there are no guarantees you will never get sick. But just remember, it is not exclusive to cruise ships.

I have not had Noro Virus but we recently went through Roto Virus which is in the same family, at home, no cruising at all. Disease is EVERYWHERE! wash your hands and don't worry about it. Wash your hands for thirty seconds. My husband is a hand washer (more than me but not obsessive) and he is the only one who did not get it. The posters who said you can get Noro Virus everywhere are 100% correct. The big thing is you probably will catch it before you even know someone else has it. Just relax.. please do not let this ruin your vacation and assure your mom that if it was that prevalant no one would ever cruise.

2Cruise4Ever might have a couple facts that need to be checked again, but overall the comments are correct. I don't think it can travel through the ventilation system, but it is a virus that can persist for a long time on surfaces where it has been deposited. It is the second most common illness after the common cold in the US. When you hear that sports stars or other famous people are ill with "stomach flu", it is likely to be norovirus. Hospitals, schools, and businesses can be similarly affected. CDC doesn't bother tracking it on land, so the press doesn't make a big deal of it.

We have been on ships with people suspected of carrying the virus. The medical staff reacted quickly and quarantined the passengers. If you think this is harsh, look at how badly this is portrayed in the press. It is for the protection of the rest of the passengers.

Princess has hand sanitizer all the time at the buffet area. We generally avoid the buffet, and will not go there at all if we know that there is illness on board.

caviargirl - that sounds so awful and I'm sorry your trip had such a terrible ending.

Question for anyone who knows: other than riding it out, is there a treatment for norovirus - some meds I might bring along with me just in case. While I realize the chances of getting it are slim, you know how it is on a ship, you are at the mercy of the little shops to get what you need. And on a ship full of sick people, I'd hate to be standing in line at the medical office. So is there anything that would make a sufferer feel better? Pepto? Immodium? Ginger-something for the nausea?

From http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system. ....... it is likely that relatively simple measures, such as correct handling of cold foods, frequent handwashing, and paid sick leave, may substantially reduce foodborne transmission of noroviruses.

As I understand it, Noro will not be transmitted through the ventilation system.

Charlie

Question for anyone who knows: other than riding it out, is there a treatment for norovirus - some meds I might bring along with me just in case. ........ Pepto? Immodium? Ginger-something for the nausea?

Also from the Centers for Disease Control:

Currently, there is no antiviral medication that works against norovirus and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics. This is because antibiotics work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

Norovirus illness is usually brief in healthy individuals. When people are ill with vomiting and diarrhea, they should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Dehydration among young children, the elderly, the sick, can be common, and it is the most serious health effect that can result from norovirus infection. By drinking oral rehydration fluids (ORF), juice, or water, people can reduce their chance of becoming dehydrated. Sports drinks do not replace the nutrients and minerals lost during this illness.

Other than that we take some of our normal OTC remedies on every cruise including Pepto, Sudafed, Tylenol, etc. (Bandaids on a recent cruise were fifty cents each :eek: )

Charlie

Charlie

I can tell you that I was, in the early stages, I was way too sick to take oral meds. They had to give me shots to try and control the constant vomiting. Then I was given instant gatorade and saltines, and some medication to help me through. It was 24 hours of pure misery, followed by another 24 of not as awful conditions.

There were several hundred people aboard that got sick. It was an older ship. There were staff wtih handwipes and face masks everywhere. Most used them without complaint. I was working aboard so came into contact with a lot of folks and had to touch surfaces they touched. I felt like I was on a hospital ship!

But, that was two years and four cruises ago and I have four more booked. No, it has not soured me on cruising but I would never go back on that ship.

I have taught school for 20 years and have seen the noro virus so many times, its not funny! I've caught it a few times, but avoided it more than I've gotten sick, because of percautions of washing doorknobs, using towels to open doors, not putting hands in mouth, etc.

That and keeping kids as far away from me as possible!! But then I teach middle school and sometimes, its better to keep them about 10 feet away! :rolleyes:

June

The bad news: it's airborne; that means you can cough in someone's direction and that person can "breathe" it in and contract the virus. That's why it's running rampid through cruise ships. It gets into the ventilation system and travels cabin to cabin. And, there is no way that any ship can prevent it from spreading. They would literally have to take the entire ventilation system apart and scrub every panel, screw and bolt to get rid of it completely.

2cruise4ever:...............you do mention some credentials, however I think from my nursing education I would dispute the above statement. The cdc does mention aerosolization potential of vomitus droplets entering someones oral mucosa or contaminating surfaces but a blanket statment that it is "airborne and travles thru the vent system" is enough to scare the heck out of someone. It makes this sound like Ebola. If this was an airborne virus I doubt isolation of ill folks on the cruiseship would stop the spread, and that has been shown to be effective. Also people have boarded airplanes when contagious, now THAT vent system would have an entire planeload of people, staff included, running for the toilets.

I don't think a new cruiser really needs to be uptight about gastroenteritis/norvo/stomach flu or anaything else we may call it. This is just one more reason people who really don't know facts say "I won't go on a cruise ship."

Michaline, have a good time, wash your hands and be aware of what you are touching, use the anibacterial wips and have a great time.

We've been on five cruises and have never experienced Noro Virus. However, on four of the five cruises, we developed bad upper respiratory infections that turned into bronchitis post cruise. This is despite frequent handwashing, carrying hand sanitizer everywhere with us, and spraying down the room surfaces with Lysol. The only time we did not get sick, we did not fly. We flew on all the other cruises and got sick, so I question airplanes. What precautions can one take to prevent getting sick on planes? I wish those SARS masks were back in fashion:cool:

We've been on five cruises and have never experienced Noro Virus. However, on four of the five cruises, we developed bad upper respiratory infections that turned into bronchitis post cruise. This is despite frequent handwashing, carrying hand sanitizer everywhere with us, and spraying down the room surfaces with Lysol. The only time we did not get sick, we did not fly. We flew on all the other cruises and got sick, so I question airplanes. What precautions can one take to prevent getting sick on planes? I wish those SARS masks were back in fashion:cool:

I am here to rhapsodize about the miraculous ability of "Airborne" to prevent illness when you fly or are around mass quantities of germ-laden people. :D

I heard about it from a friend who resides in Japan and flies here to the States a few times a year. She uses it without fail and has never gotten ill from flying since then.

Airborne was developed by a schoolteacher who got tired of catching stuff from her students. It's just a bunch of herbs, antioxidants and electrolytes, and yes, zinc is one of the ingredients.

You can get it at WalMart or Sav-on or Trader Joe's. It comes in big tablets you drop into 1/2 glass of water. It fizzes like Alka Seltzer, then you drink it. Tastes like Tang. :)

I use that stuff every time I wake up feeling a like I may have a scratchy throat, or when I'm going to be around a lot of people, and definitely when flying! I may have a glass of it every day on board, too, just as a precaution.

Linda

Don't know if it was the Noro or Roto virus, but I had something with the above mentioned symptoms about two weeks ago. I woke up at 3:30am one morning with bad stomach cramps. I immediately thought "food poisoning." Diaharrhea started about an hour later, and it continued for 24 hours, along with vomiting. I knew I needed to rehydrate my body, but I was scared to put ANYTHING in my mouth. Food was not an attractive option to me either. DH gave me some liquid Pepto, but that all came back up about 10 minutes later. It took about 36 hours for my body to get rid of it.

Weird thing was that my brother-in-law had it two days before when we went over to his house. I stood on the other side of the room, actually in the doorway. DH went over and sat beside him. DH didn't get it until 2 days after I had it. Let me tell you, IT IS NOT FUN, and we didn't get it from a cruise ship.

Archived