POA Question

dolphinlover2

Thinking about the POA to cover the Maui, Kauai, and Big Island and extending the trip on land in Oahu. I've never cruised on the Pacific and have experienced some rough seas one day on the NCL Dawn going to Bermuda from NY (North Atlantic). Since the POA is only going from island to island, is the cruise calmer than in the open ocean? My DH has never cruised because he gets motion sickness and he's even suggesting to stay on land while I see the other islands. He's afraid to take medication because of the combination side effects of the other meds he's taking. If he gets sick while cruising, he won't be able to enjoy the day excursions the next morning. How is the ride from island to island? Thanks!

Also, keep in mind that the POA spends an overnight in Maui and one in Kauai. The ship remains at the pier during these overnights, so there is no chance for rough seas.

I have also read that the seas certain times of the year can be rougher than others. When are you looking at cruising?

If you tend towards motion sickness then the cabin recommendation is low and to the middle so you don't feel the motion as much. I wear sea bands on my wrists to counter the motion and I drink lots of gingerale during the cruise.

Also, keep in mind that the POA spends an overnight in Maui and one in Kauai. The ship remains at the pier during these overnights, so there is no chance for rough seas.

Sorry, you have this a little backwards. The last place a ship wants to being during rough seas is tied to a dock- that is how ships and docks get heavily damaged. So if seas are rough, or predicted to be rough, the ship won't dock, instead the ship will ride it out at sea.

But, if the seas aren't rough, the ship will dock, and you won't notice any motion at all tied up for those overnights at Maui or Kauai.

Come on CruiserBruce...you know what I meant. If the seas are to rough for a ship to safely pull up to the pier, that is extreme and rarely happens. However, it is common for there to be some motion during the sailing between islands and week after week, the ship makes it into port in Maui and Kauai and spends the overnight there.

Archived