International Port Services, Inc. (luggage)

Martita B.

Sailor's~~~has anyone used the service of International Port Services, Inc.?

I've checked their prices and they seem to be reasonable.

The service specializes in worldwide shipping of ship passengers luggage.

For U.S.A: $150 (up to 100 pds)

For International: $250 (up to 45 pds)

For Caribbean: same as U.S.A.

This would certainly simplify luggage issues! And you can track your luggage online.

I think I'm going to look into this "valet service!"

Happy Weekend!

Martita

Rotty~~~~Bon Voyage.......have a grand Crossing on the Prisendam! (I always wished that I could have have booked "The Sun" for Mother and me.....I felt it would be just too large for her manage with her walker (her HORSE, "'ole Silver")

I will look into FEDEX, also.......it's becoming more difficult to fly these days with luggage......especially for we "solo travelers!" I can well understand why you "Auntie" used a service.

Have fun and have a few "flutes" for us!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Martita

I shall be using them for my QM2 crossing, they're picking up my bag Monday and I'll next see it in my cabin onboard! Will post a report when I get back to the USA. :)

alita

As I live in West Texas (200 miles from San Antonio) I am wondering if I could use this service? I would think they "pick up" in cities.

Or perhaps FEDEX, as Rotty suggested, might be my answer.

I am very interested in sending my luggage to the ship and NOT "lugging" them

to San Antonio to the airport.

Martita

I just finished some research on this although my cruise is a long way off. Actually, the best price ended up being Seabourn's service and they use DHL so they will pick up anywhere that DHL delivers. Intl Port Services uses an airfreight company with subcontractors and you have to call them to find out if your zipcode works. However, their rates were higher than Seabourn for International delivery. They were a little lower than Seabourn for domestic. They will deliver to the ship. I also checked direct rates with DHL, FedEx, and UPS. UPS was the highest. All were higher than the other two services and you would have to figure out how to get your bag delivered to the ship. The prices are steep per bag so I concluded that for the 2 of us, we will pack one big bag for Seabourn Valet Service to pick up. Part of this conclusion was that if you can stomach the high cost fo this service, you might just as well let Seabourn make it as painless as possible. We will carry on a smaller bag each.

Larry

bgood~~~what service is Seabourn using now? I'm sure if I gave Tessie or Wally a call they could explain how I might use the service. (it's not easy "living under a rock"~~hahaha)

Mucho Gracias!

Martita

Amost used Seabourn's service to Barcelona and back from Istanbul until I found out that one cannot lock their luggage. Something about it may need to be inspected since it will travel without the owner. Also, Seabourn said that the luggage would have to picked up at least two weeks before sailing. Now the idea of my luggage travelling from the USA and sitting in a foreign country for at least two weeks unlocked didn't appeal to me at all. Even if it was kept under lock and key after it got to the port of embarkation, who knows what might have disappeared during a "routine" inroute inspection!

You cannot lock your bags with a metal or combination lock, but you can lock them with those little plastic cable ties or with the TSA approved locks. I have shipped international via International Port Services, DHL and Fed Ex and I have used the cable ties with no problem. My bags were never opened on the way to any of the foreign ports I've shipped to, including Southampton, Sydney and Dubai, but they were opened by US Customs agents when they were shipped back to the US---and the Customs agents relocked them using black cable ties and a little note inside saying they inspected the bags.

Nobody gets to lock bags anymore. Welcome to the new world order. Lots of places, catalogue stores (Magellan, Gulliver's, etc.) sell TSA approved locks that work as well as anything you used before. (My late lamented guru said "Locks are only for honest people.") On one recent trip, a locked bag arrived at the destination airport disemboweled by a great rip in the side. Oddy, only the wife's bathing suits were missing...

I wouldn't ship the good jewelry or cameras, etc. But it's DHL and they handle a lot of stuff worldwide. All ship's agencies likewise have bonded holding areas--that's where the bags wait for the ship.

bgood

bgood~~~many thanks for your post! Shipping a piece of luggage (or two)ahead would certainly make my air travel alot less of a "hassel!"

(I need a "luggage boy!" hahaha OR arrive at the airport and fall in a wheel chair!")

Oh, woe is me.......

Martita

We just arrived back May 2nd..and I have presented a claim to TSA..no doubt it will be denied..but hopefully Am Ex Bag Ins. will handle it well. My lovely Missoni Cocktail dress and a

Cashmere Pashmina were taken from my bag. There was a TSA check tag in my bag. The dress was packed inside my other clothing and the Pashmina packed on top. I therefore feel that it was at the TSA check that it took place. Only one clear sequin remained where the dress once was. I have had theses tags on International many times before..and this is my first incident...and..I hope my last. Such a shame....of course we must have security...but you would think that there would be "secure" guidelines for such a check. I had 3 small designer purses on top as well..and they were left alone...my thought on that...too bulky to take.

Archived