Xunantunich Mayan Ruins

dontpanik

OK, so I'm way overweight and have knee issues. I really like the looks of this tour, but judging by some youtube videos, I won't make it to the top without handrails, lol. Is there an option for staying down low while the rest of the group climbs and meeting back up, or is this an all or nothing kind of thing?

I was there a few weeks ago on an independent trip. First thing to note is that the tour busses drop you off on the other side of the river where you board a hand-cranked cable ferry to get across. Don't remember if there are shuttle mini busses to get the 1 Km or so up to the entrance. It's an uphill walk (I estimate the equivalent of 3-4 storeys) to the base of the ruins.

The main pyramid isn't very high and you can just walk around it if you choose not to ascend.

I was there a few weeks ago on an independent trip. First thing to note is that the tour busses drop you off on the other side of the river where you board a hand-cranked cable ferry to get across. Don't remember if there are shuttle mini busses to get the 1 Km or so up to the entrance. It's an uphill walk (I estimate the equivalent of 3-4 storeys) to the base of the ruins.

The main pyramid isn't very high and you can just walk around it if you choose not to ascend.

Aah, no.

Don't worry 'Panick, rest asured that for the last mile a minibus is used for all cruise ship pax. It is NOT "3-4 storeys" but in fact the road raises from about 90 m above sea level to about 170 m; a difference 80 meters, or about 30 stories. You will have to climb a few steps up to get to the Plazas of Xunantunich, but after that it is all level.

Of course you do not have to climb any pyramic that you do not want to. There are actually quite a bit of things for you to see aside from the El Castillo (structure A6) in Xunantunich. I do not know what shape your knees are in, but the 40 meter Structure A6 is the second tallest pyramid in Belize, and it should not be dismissed as an easy climb.

One alternative is to walk up to a much smaller pyramid A1. It is in the center of the plaza facing A6, and it is a less steep climb up. You will be able to see others on A6, they will be able to see you, you can take picture of each other, etc.

Aside from those, you can also consider staying around the structure surrounding Plaza A3. Less steps still.

If you really do not want to climb anything, then after your guides talk to you while standing in the hot sun in Plazas A2 and then A1 again, instead of climbing Structure A6 like the rest of your group, head off west on the path leading from the southern edge of the ball court which is behind Structure A18 (Structure A18 is on the western side of Plaza A1 -- the same plaza that Structure A6 on). That path will take you to Group B, which is a group of reminants of residental area. Most tours do not visit Group B. The nice thing about walking around Group B is that everything is under the jungle canopy, which is a relief from being in the scorching sun in Plazas of Group A.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

I am interested in doing this tour , but I also have mobility problems. My DH has been worried about me leaving the ship. I had read about some bikes available on the Altun Ha tour. The kind with two seat and a driver. Are these available? How hot do you think it will be in Jan. 2013? I am young and use to walk 3 miles a day, so this disabilty stuff has been hard for me. Will the guides wait if your slow? Clovertrails

• 2 weeks later...
I am interested in doing this tour , but I also have mobility problems. My DH has been worried about me leaving the ship. I had read about some bikes available on the Altun Ha tour. The kind with two seat and a driver. Are these available? How hot do you think it will be in Jan. 2013? I am young and use to walk 3 miles a day, so this disabilty stuff has been hard for me. Will the guides wait if your slow? Clovertrails

Would be interested in bikes as well, we did Coba a couple of years ago and they had bikes too. January however is high season there I think...if there are bikes, can you reserve somewhere?

Archived