Kuranda shopping? Too tourist??

Hi,

Thinking of taking the kuranda day trip with my teenage daughter. What is the shopping like up there? Is it too touristy for a couple of brisbane girls? How does it compare to cairns night markets?? :)

Being a regular visit to Cairns, (our son lives there), I do not think a great deal of the Cairns Night Markets these days. Much too touristy for us. Kuranda (unfortunately) I feel has headed the same way. If you are just going for the shopping, well, I would not! Just my thoughts! If you want to shop, just go to Cairns Central or somewhere like that with your daughter and have a nice lunch somewhere.

Thanks! I was afraid they'd be like that! Other option had thought about was water tubing in Behana Gorge. Sounds like great fun but probs a but chilly at this time of year!! The boys are going estuary fishing so might have to join them- yikes!!:eek:G

Hi,

Thinking of taking the kuranda day trip with my teenage daughter. What is the shopping like up there? Is it too touristy for a couple of brisbane girls? How does it compare to cairns night markets?? :)

Kuranda's OK if you're looking for didgeridoo's made in China, and other imported rubbish. OK for foreign tourists, not much good for locals.

Being a regular visit to Cairns, (our son lives there), I do not think a great deal of the Cairns Night Markets these days. Much too touristy for us. Kuranda (unfortunately) I feel has headed the same way. If you are just going for the shopping, well, I would not! Just my thoughts! If you want to shop, just go to Cairns Central or somewhere like that with your daughter and have a nice lunch somewhere.

Agree about Kuranda and the Cairns night markets. Kuranda is about the journey not the destination and the night markets reminded me of Suva.

Go fishing!

Colleen

Thanks! I was afraid they'd be like that! Other option had thought about was water tubing in Behana Gorge. Sounds like great fun but probs a but chilly at this time of year!! The boys are going estuary fishing so might have to join them- yikes!!:eek:G

There is a water ski park at Smithfield? I know it is popular and not that far from town! Just a thought if you are looking for something adventuous.

Not sure where you are from, but the weather is great at present. No humidity and about 25. If you are a local (my son says it freezing) but I love the weather there at this time of year. Certainly okay for swimming, but not sure about the weather at the Gorge!

I agree, it is a pretty place and the drive is quite scenic, but not sure whether a teenager would appreciate it! (Just my thoughts!!)

You only get limited opportunities to torture your teenagers back...I'd say do it. Yes its touristy...but the trip up and back on the skyrail is great. Get off at mid station and do the guided walk through the tree tops too.

sue

Kuranda is gorgeous, the trip up and back is worth it.

Yes, the town is beautiful, and the trip up and back, either by train, skyrail (or ideally a combination of both) is worth it.

It's the shops/shopping that are over-rated.

Re cost of things in Kuranda...if you are lucky enough to get to Port Douglas markets on a Sunday morning ...prices are much cheaper for the same things . :D

bad luck Pacific Dawn etc don't arrive on Sundays...

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Cant speak for the other markets...but Kuranda has everything from kitch to just plain tacky. ..but you might find something original or different if you look hard...the pubs pretty good.

The aboriginal cultural centre located near the train that goes to Kuranda is well worth a visit. Tjubukai I think its called.

What sort of shopping are you looking for?

Sue

Archived