First cruise with baby - play yard?

We're starting to think about taking our first cruise with our son. He will be about 18 months or so around the time we are thinking about going. I'm wondering about sleeping arrangements. I know the RC provides complimentary play yards, but does anyone have pictures of how this fits in a balcony room? TIA! :)

We're starting to think about taking our first cruise with our son. He will be about 18 months or so around the time we are thinking about going. I'm wondering about sleeping arrangements. I know the RC provides complimentary play yards, but does anyone have pictures of how this fits in a balcony room? TIA! :)

We had a pack n play in our balcony room on the Liberty. With the pack n play the room was a bit snug. I will try to find a picture for you. Send me your email.

Do yourself a favor and wait another year before you cruise. Everyone will enjoy it more if your child is a little older. Whenever you decide to cruise, I would suggest that you consider one of the Disney cruises. Disney is a far better choice for young kids.

We took our 16month old grandson (with his parents:D) on a cruise last June and the pack n play worked ok in an interior room. Sure it was tight, but doable.

We had a great time with him. At 16months he was willing to sit in the stroller and easy to control. Plus, a great napper then! At almost 2 1/2, he is much faster:D and refuses the stroller & high chair. It would not be as easy this year!

Sherri:)

Do yourself a favor and wait another year before you cruise. Everyone will enjoy it more if your child is a little older. Whenever you decide to cruise, I would suggest that you consider one of the Disney cruises. Disney is a far better choice for young kids.

Or better yet, cruise now and again in a year:D

Edited by bbbearden

I definitely agree about waiting and going the Disney route.

How nice of you to suggest that option but that's not what she asked. Responses like this amaze me when RCCL is putting something called "Royal Babies and Tots Nursery" on their ships.

How nice of you to suggest that option but that's not what she asked. Responses like this amaze me when RCCL is putting something called "Royal Babies and Tots Nursery" on their ships.

I agree, an 18 month old should be able to cruise just fine and the ships have done wonders in catering to babies and toodlers.

I have 5 year old TWINS who love cruising and will be going on their 8th cruise next month. They were 21 months on the first one. We have sailed on NCL, Costa, MSC, Holland and Carnival with them, no Disney yet. The pack and plays are a tight squeeze especially with twins, but it's ok. We never had a bad time or regretted our decision about going. Here are some suggestions that have worked for us...Take a blow up pool to put in the shower for baths bc it is hard in those stand up showers and you can take the pool with you on deck and let the baby splash, etc...in their own little pool. I don't know if he's potty trained or not, but babies that are not potty trained are not allowed in the pools. Take an umbrella stroller for the ports and leave that giant one at home...the umbrella stroller fits nicely in the closet or under the bed. I don't recommend the kids club until about age 3, that's just a personal decision I have about strangers watching my children and the twins not being able to tell us everything in detail until about that age...with that said, the twins love the kids clubs, we have never had any problems with any of them. If you are going to eat in the dining rooms and most ppl like to, I would suggest a DVD player. It's not a practice we use often, but when dinners are two hours, toddlers have a hard time sitting still. The dining room is usually loud enough so that you won't bother anyone. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Don't worry about what other ppl think of you taking your child on your family vacation! He won't be the only child on board, and you will have more fun on a cruise than sitting at home.

We took our 11 month old at the time with us. We has a balcony room and put the pack n play between our our bed and the balcony and had plenty of room We actually had another adult stay in the room and sleep on the the pull our couch.

BTW our 11 month old was amazingly good on the cruise. So glad we took her. When mommy and friend wanted to lay in the sun, Bella and daddy got to go back to the room for a nap. Daddy loved this!!!!

Our girl was just one year old when we took her on a western med cruise on the liberty. She had a fantastic time with character breakfast, the Parade, the playtime, the baby pool (Liberty has one for not potty trained kids) and so on. The crew was fabulous with her, we always felt very welcome - also in the MDR (we had MTD, very recommended with a small kid). The head waiter always asked if he should make the kitchen prepare something special for her (though there was no need as she already was used to mild grown up food).

We also used the nursery a few times, where she was looked after by professionals. A great way for parents to have a little quality time on their own.

I have to say though that we had a Grand Suite as it was a real bargain. Especially the one suite privilege to have a quiet breakfast in Chops Grille not having to look for a free table was priceless.

This saturday we go again (eastern med on Splendour).

All I can say: Go! Don't think twice and don't let other people tell you not to. You and your little one will have a great time and enjoy every minute of it. I just recommend a ship that has a nursery on board so you as parents will have a few hours of vacation on your own.

Edited by mido78
Typos, stupid smartphone stupid

I definitely agree about waiting and going the Disney route.

Not what the OP asked -

We cruised with our grandson and his parents when he was 6 months - we all had a good time! Second time was when he was 4 and his brother was 2. Now they are 6 and 4 and we are looking at doing it again!

Sorry, have to disagree with this...

... we cruised with DS, last June, at 17 months old and he had a BALL! We did Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale (after flying in from the UK). He is a brilliant traveller and there is SO MUCH for them to do on Royal Caribbean (or at least the Oasis).

You just need to be very organised and bring plenty of nappies, wipes, familiar snacks etc...

We didn't use the nursery service, but did take the in-laws along for some free time. I actually think that cruising is a very "easy" type of vacation to take with an infant. However, we did have to "modify" our expectations of what a cruise vacation would be: that didn't matter, though, we got to see it through "fresh eyes".

Pack and Play worked well, but we were in an OS and it fitted easily next to the bed.

We are cruising Oasis again in September (DS will be 2.5 years old) and are really looking forward to it. No in-laws this time - just the 3 of us.

Boo

Edited by Boo Boo

Not what the OP asked -

We cruised with our grandson and his parents when he was 6 months - we all had a good time! Second time was when he was 4 and his brother was 2. Now they are 6 and 4 and we are looking at doing it again!

Agreed that's not what the OP asked, but given that kind of questuion the OP deserved to get answers to questions that she didn't think about. There are far more serious things that can happen to young children on a ship because they don't have the immunity of older children and adults. Sure 99% of the kids are just fine, but there is a real possiblity young children can get very sick on a ship. There are people on this Board that can provide a first hand account of the possible problems to young children.

Agreed that's not what the OP asked, but given that kind of questuion the OP deserved to get answers to questions that she didn't think about. There are far more serious things that can happen to young children on a ship because they don't have the immunity of older children and adults. Sure 99% of the kids are just fine, but there is a real possiblity young children can get very sick on a ship. There are people on this Board that can provide a first hand account of the possible problems to young children.

The same problems with immunity/illness could be said of elderly people...

For the OP - we did do a pack & play for our 3 yo, but brought our own - two reasons - our daughter was better off in familiar surroundings & we could ensure that it was safe (so many of those have been recalled). Have a good trip!

Here's your picture... and I just came off of OASIS in May (Traveling solo with a 21-month old) - and you may find my experience amusing and insightful...

http://lbom.wordpress.com/

Good luck and have fun!

OASIS-CRIB2.jpg.f18c0f6b99cf364ecc2b278ecc9ea22f.jpg

The same problems with immunity/illness could be said of elderly people...

For the OP - we did do a pack & play for our 3 yo, but brought our own - two reasons - our daughter was better off in familiar surroundings & we could ensure that it was safe (so many of those have been recalled). Have a good trip!

This. If there is any way possible to bring your own, I would.

They are more familiar with the surroundings of their own pack and play. Also, there are always terrible germs on those in hotels.. I can't imagine the ones for cruises being any better. There are so many nooks and crannies there is no way possible to sterilize them and toddlers use their mouths to explore. If you can't bring your own then make sure to scrub down the one the cruise line gives you. After scrubbing it down, let it sit out on your balcony and get as much sun as possible. The sun is the best sterilizer on earth! Make sure to have a favorite blankie as well.

If it is too snug for your family, you can always pack it up each morning or tip the attendant extra to do it for you. I know in our room last week our attendant folded up our roll away sleeper every morning and then laid it out at turn down every evening without us asking.

Have a great time but make sure not to have too many expectations! Some toddlers do great traveling while others are miserable. They do have a great toddler program on RC. The rooms I saw on the Allure's adventure area were ADORABLE! They do have baby and me times as well so make sure to mark those on your compass. Toddlers love to socialize as long as a parent is close by. Those little classes will wear them down to nothing as well :D

Edited by praline3001

Some more helpful advice, just in case you haven't thought about it.

Make sure to pack a special first aid kit for your toddler. Infant fever reducer, what your DR recommends for infants with stomach upset along with teething medicine. It seemed every single time I traveled with mine as babes they decided to cut a tooth or molar ~ fun times! The ship usually doesn't carry infant meds unless you want to pay the big bucks in medical so empty your baby medicine cabinet and pack it in a first aid kit ... Murphy's law can be brutal.

Also make sure to have a wellness check up a few weeks before you go. Double check any recommendations your DR has as well as make sure all shots are up to date. I know some parents are against immunizations with their child. I don't think I would risk taking my kid out of the country without making sure they had all of their shots. The couple of weeks will ensure they are recovered from any slight fever or grumpiness due to shots.

Start making a Santa bag of goodies. This advice was given to me when I first became a mom and WOW amazing... to be honest I did it on this last trip and my oldest is 18 :rolleyes:

Take tiny ziplock bags and put new and interesting things in them... 2 or 4 crayons, a favorite treat, a jar of bubbles... whatever you would like that would keep your kids occupied for 5 minutes. During your trip you can at various times let them put their hand in the sack and pick out a zip lock baggie surprise. This is THE BOMB at dinner or anytime you need them to be extra quiet. Of course these things need to be age appropriate but nothing works better then something new and shiny (at least to them) to play with.

Edited by praline3001

Here's your picture... and I just came off of OASIS in May (Traveling solo with a 21-month old) - and you may find my experience amusing and insightful...

http://lbom.wordpress.com/

Good luck and have fun!

[ATTACH]236540[/ATTACH]

Read your blog! Kudos to traveling solo to you! Will definitely take notes for the future :)

Understand your way of thinking re illness - however - your first statement and a few other people posted wait til the child is older and then try Disney (see above) The impression was clearly given that the child would just be too young.

Edited by LovesCruising