Xmas and new year caribbean cruise

reba1

I am a 64 year old widow who has cruised solo before. I am contemplating a Xmas and New Year cruise this year for the first time in the caribbean and cant decide on the cruise line I would be happiest on. Have cruised Cunard,Princess,Celebrity RCL. Any suggestions on the line I would enjoy most at this time. Would appreciate reviews from any solos that have tried this in the past. :)

Hi Reba,

I've cruised HAL solo for the last 3 years during the holidays. I've always picked 10+ night cruises (to the PC, Mexico, and the Carib) because I was concerned about being overwhelmed by extended families but this has not happened. I've enjoyed all my cruises and have met other over 55 folks. Last year for the first time I did the anytime dining and had dinner with different people the nights I went to the MDR. My only real complaint about HAL is that the ship gets quiet about 11pm or so. I think I'd enjoy a ship with more and varied entertainment.

That said this year I'm doing a Princess cruise out of LA for 7 nights. I live in CA so to get to FLA for me is expensive. I really enjoy and look forward to my end of the year cruises.

Faith

I am a 64 year old widow who has cruised solo before. I am contemplating a Xmas and New Year cruise this year for the first time in the caribbean and cant decide on the cruise line I would be happiest on. Have cruised Cunard,Princess,Celebrity RCL. Any suggestions on the line I would enjoy most at this time. Would appreciate reviews from any solos that have tried this in the past. :)

This is just my opinion so please take it for what it worth....30+ cruises here. I generally believe (or at least from what I've read, heard, etc.) that solo cruisers should avoid holiday sailings. They are the most expensive sailings especially for solo cruisers w/ 100% supplement on top of the premium holiday rate and majority of the passengers are families or groups of family traveling together. But if you still want to go...please go and I think you'd be best on either HAL or Cunard. Both lines cater to a more mature/less family crowd. Celebrity might also be a good option, but expect a lot of kids on board with any line. Personally I'd rather do a cruise (price wise and diverse wise) either prior holiday (early Dec) or post holiday (early Jan) for a single. You should also contact a few good travel agent in your area are inquire what they recommend for a solo cruisers for holiday cruises.

Hi!

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I am off the week between CH & NY so it would be fun to cruise. I have not done this adventure before. I have seen a few at a pretty reasonable cost but I am not sure what you want to spend. It is more expensive right now. I'd like any advice that would be around going even at that time. Thanks!!

:D

I think HAL is a good line to cruise over the Christmas/New Years holidays for a solo. On my 3 cruises (all over 10 days) I never felt overwhelmed with kids.

The Amsterdam (HAL ship) does a world cruise in January and the PC cruise (from CA to FLL) before the world cruise begins is a nice cruise. Very few kids/families on this trip.

I'd agree with Dancer Bob in that if you are a night owl this is not the cruise line for you. I found activity on these ships till around midnight.

Faith

thanks everyone for your input, still weighing the options, I realize I have to pay premium because it is the holidays and having priced them out the Princess back to back over Xmas and N.Year is not bad especially during their one day sale. I realize it would be cheaper before or after the holidays but one of the reasons I am going over the holidays is to get out of hosting Xmas yet again at my place!! about time someone else stepped up to the plate!! I need some sun. Was tempted by Cunard but feel like trying the anytime dining. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks again.

thanks everyone for your input, still weighing the options, I realize I have to pay premium because it is the holidays and having priced them out the Princess back to back over Xmas and N.Year is not bad especially during their one day sale. I realize it would be cheaper before or after the holidays but one of the reasons I am going over the holidays is to get out of hosting Xmas yet again at my place!! about time someone else stepped up to the plate!! I need some sun. Was tempted by Cunard but feel like trying the anytime dining. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks again.

I did it last year and I had a blast...... I did a ten day Southern Carribean on NCL.....it was great!!!!! I am a night owl so HAL would not be an option for me and I am a bit younger than their target age (40). I paid little more than I would have in the weeks around the Holiday, but cruising during the holidays works really well with my work schedule........

I wish I were doing it this year........

Archived