Cake decor

i want to buy some items to decorate the cake and have a few questions.

I was thinking some gumpaste flowers or sugar decorations. How far in advance should I purchase? How long can they last. Will there be a problem bringing it onboard? How much ribbon do I need?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I did read but idk the answers yet :/.... I am going w a fake bouque and was just going to bring a few extra fake flowers to add. As far as the ribbon, I figured I would bring one standard roll?

Hth

I did read but idk the answers yet :/.... I am going w a fake bouque and was just going to bring a few extra fake flowers to add. As far as the ribbon, I figured I would bring one standard roll?

Hth

Thanks for the response.

Were you thinking of using regular craft and hobby ribbon? I guess that's the part I'm confused about.

I found quite a few sites which sell edible cake ribbon and edible flowers.

You know I just found out about the edible stuff and haven't looked into it yet. I have seen standard ribbon and it looked fine. I am interested in lace though... I can't paste a pic to show you but it's thick lace and pretty. I can email it to you if you'd like. Otherwise I think if you google pics you may see something you like. Or your coordinator can probably tell you how much you need

You know I just found out about the edible stuff and haven't looked into it yet. I have seen standard ribbon and it looked fine. I am interested in lace though... I can't paste a pic to show you but it's thick lace and pretty. I can email it to you if you'd like. Otherwise I think if you google pics you may see something you like. Or your coordinator can probably tell you how much you need

Oh yes, if you can post it or if you feel mor comfortable emailing it my address is herbal_tees@yahoo.com

Yea I think bride520 did regular ribbon from Michael's.

I'll be doing the bling ribbon.

I emailed Carnival a while back about a design I wanted and it was rejected :-(

so if you have something you'd like to do email your coordinator and she what she says..

One small hidden thing you can also do is request a grooms cake. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We brought ribbon, rhinestones and a topper. It was just plain old ribbon from micheals and the rhinestones were sold as "Cake bling" on amazon. They put them all on and even added flowers that were in the picture that we supplied but didn't ask for/ expect/ pay for. I had thought about the gumpaste flowers but decided against it in the end because I didn't want to have to transport them. I'm sure they would have added them no problem if we had brought them. (FYI, this is the last time we ever saw the topper. They swore they were "looking for it" but ended up just crediting our account $60 to compensate for having lost it.)

578420_452241548124761_263879453_n.jpg

We brought ribbon, rhinestones and a topper. It was just plain old ribbon from micheals and the rhinestones were sold as "Cake bling" on amazon. They put them all on and even added flowers that were in the picture that we supplied but didn't ask for/ expect/ pay for. I had thought about the gumpaste flowers but decided against it in the end because I didn't want to have to transport them. I'm sure they would have added them no problem if we had brought them. (FYI, this is the last time we ever saw the topper. They swore they were "looking for it" but ended up just crediting our account $60 to compensate for having lost it.)

Omg. I'd die if my cake topper gets lost.

uploadfromtaptalk1339590349855.jpg.6f761f2a852592f89b5eec72744440c7.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Omg. I'd die if my cake topper gets lost.

At first I was really angry about it but really, what were we going to do with it anyway? The $60 was much more useful. I do wish they would have at least cut the cake for our guests as opposed to making the guest cut their own cake and maybe it wouldn't have gotten lost. Then the cruise line would have taken it off themselves so it would have been easier to keep track of. They swore up and down that one of our guests took it (we asked, no one did) but after multiple visits to the purser, they just coughed up the cash. (I didn't find out about the cake cutting situation until long afterward when I was looking at the photos and found one of the BM cutting his own piece of cake- with the topper still on the cake. I was horrified and disappointed. Who knew you should have to tell them to cut the cake for your guests?)

I see all of these lovely pix yall are putting up,and talking about Ribbon.. YOU cant eat the Ribbon so How do you cut around it, or they peel it off after the pix are taking??? I know it sounds crazy, But if I have a question that I dont know I just have to ask.. lolol I love that rhinestones/ Cake Bling JuliaRose

we just cut down to the ribbon and then pulled a tiny piece of cake out to feed to each other. (I know, it's terrible, I didn't even have a slice of my own wedding cake.) I would have had them take the ribbon off and then cut it up to serve but that is not what happened. In the pics, it looks like our guests just peeled it off when they cut their own slices. It has an odd half on/half off look to it but whatever. How many pictures of your cut cake are you going to have or want?

we just cut down to the ribbon and then pulled a tiny piece of cake out to feed to each other. (I know, it's terrible, I didn't even have a slice of my own wedding cake.) I would have had them take the ribbon off and then cut it up to serve but that is not what happened. In the pics, it looks like our guests just peeled it off when they cut their own slices. It has an odd half on/half off look to it but whatever. How many pictures of your cut cake are you going to have or want?

Oh wow. Okay this is actually good advice and I'm going to make a note to ask the wedding coordinator to have someone cut the cake after the cake cutting picture.

Shatima, I'm glad you asked the question, because I was confused about the craft ribbon too, which is why I was searching for edible ribbon. I think I may just go with cake bling, regular ribbon and faux flowers.

This is the look I'm trying to achieve.

2036430923_Tealandredcake.jpg.db4d563334cba3fb4a064136ee7507e7.jpg

OHHHHHHH thanks.. I was wondering how that went down.. I thought that may have been one of the ways, but werent sure.. that does suck that they werent cutting the cake for ur guest....

Oh wow. Okay this is actually good advice and I'm going to make a note to ask the wedding coordinator to have someone cut the cake after the cake cutting picture.

Shatima, I'm glad you asked the question, because I was confused about the craft ribbon too, which is why I was searching for edible ribbon. I think I may just go with cake bling, regular ribbon and faux flowers.

This is the look I'm trying to achieve.

Woooow I love that!!!!!! And no problem I had to ask, thats what this site is for :) We are suppose to read, take notes, have our day, then come back and give our review and help others :)

But ur cake will be the Bomb, the pix is niceeeee

Woooow I love that!!!!!! And no problem I had to ask, thats what this site is for :) We are suppose to read, take notes, have our day, then come back and give our review and help others :)

But ur cake will be the Bomb, the pix is niceeeee

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We just used regular craft ribbon from hobby lobby. They just peeled it off when it was time to cut the cake. It looked great on the cake. Most bakeries use regular ribbon on wedding cakes. As for the flowers, I made my own cake topper out of fake flowers and I made a few to stick down the sides. It worked out perfect.

Okay, sorry if this has all ready been answered -

If you are going to use fresh flowers, they have to be food grade, ie not sprayed.

A decorators trick is to insert a plastic straw, *cut to 2.5 or 3.inches (a true wedding cake should be four inches per tier). and then slip flowers (silk or fresh) into them.

If you are using royal icing flowers (please do not.. if your cake is buttercream, the fat can and will break down your sugar flowers.

a better option is to use gumpaste flowers. you can buy them in ready made cascades for decorating stores for a good price. they last for ever..

6693_241306855064_3315966_n.jpg

this is a dummy cake i made for a family wedding two years ago - it looks as good today as it did the day they were married. keep flowers out of direct sunlight, and all will be fine. i used Satin ribbon, (use pear pins to put into cake) and the dragon flies were from the dollar store. the flowers i made from hand with gumpaste.

c a l j a v a . c o m

always has great sales, and good prices. check them out.

http://www.caljavaonline.com/plumeria1.htm

all of these flowers would like nice on a tropical cake. also look into sprays. order EXTRA for breakage!

Okay, sorry if this has all ready been answered -

If you are going to use fresh flowers, they have to be food grade, ie not sprayed.

A decorators trick is to insert a plastic straw, *cut to 2.5 or 3.inches (a true wedding cake should be four inches per tier). and then slip flowers (silk or fresh) into them.

If you are using royal icing flowers (please do not.. if your cake is buttercream, the fat can and will break down your sugar flowers.

a better option is to use gumpaste flowers. you can buy them in ready made cascades for decorating stores for a good price. they last for ever..

6693_241306855064_3315966_n.jpg

this is a dummy cake i made for a family wedding two years ago - it looks as good today as it did the day they were married. keep flowers out of direct sunlight, and all will be fine. i used Satin ribbon, (use pear pins to put into cake) and the dragon flies were from the dollar store. the flowers i made from hand with gumpaste.

c a l j a v a . c o m

always has great sales, and good prices. check them out.

http://www.caljavaonline.com/plumeria1.htm

all of these flowers would like nice on a tropical cake. also look into sprays. order EXTRA for breakage!

This is absolutely beautiful!!!

Archived