What is your favorite thing about the Explorer of the Seas

We've been on her twice and very happy with her. The first was a 5 day and the second a nine day. Didn't think I could do a 9 day...but it was great having he extra sea days before coming back to reality. Also to boot we were out running the hurricane coming up the coast!!!

The staff are just awesome and just can't say enough nice things about them. Having a large ship nearby and in driving distance can't be beat!!

Regarding reservations: on Explorer, none of the shows require advance reservations made online. (that's only for the larger ships)

Onboard, they will distribute free tickets to the ice show. This is for crowd control, as the arena is rather small and they need to disperse the passengers over 4 showtimes. Pay attention to the cruise newsletter (Compass) which will let you know when the tickets will be distributed. It's usually the morning of Day 2, but not always.

Donna K-Do they have enough tix to go around for everybody?? And on a 9 day they have 4 ice shows?? We are sailing on the Explorer next Feb and would def like to see the ice show. Really appreciate all the helpful info about the ship you have posted.:)-Claudia

Just off the 6/7 9-nighter. Have to say I was extremely disappointed in Johnny Rockets. Ate there our second night, could not order a cherry coke because they were out of cherry syrup (0n the 2nd night??). Burgers were OK (not to the JR standard that I'm used to in the land-based sites that I like very much). First (only) set of onion rings had been in the heat lamp tray too long, very dry/stale, though the fries were very good. Never received any more despite asking three times to two different waitstaff members who asked if we wanted anything. Always, "they're cooking," yet anyone one entering seemed to immediately get them without delay.

Apple pie for desert was OK, VERY portion controlled with a mini dollop of vanilla ice cream. To be honest, was not worth the $4.95 upcharge DW's sundae was also lacking in how it was made. Staff just didn't seem to care about much of anything, unfortunately.

Was surprised that it was mostly empty whenever we walked by, but perhaps I shouldn't have been after our experience.

Just off the 6/7 9-nighter. Have to say I was extremely disappointed in Johnny Rockets. Ate there our second night, could not order a cherry coke because they were out of cherry syrup (0n the 2nd night??). Burgers were OK (not to the JR standard that I'm used to in the land-based sites that I like very much). First (only) set of onion rings had been in the heat lamp tray too long, very dry/stale, though the fries were very good. Never received any more despite asking three times to two different waitstaff members who asked if we wanted anything. Always, "they're cooking," yet anyone one entering seemed to immediately get them without delay.

Apple pie for desert was OK, VERY portion controlled with a mini dollop of vanilla ice cream. To be honest, was not worth the $4.95 upcharge DW's sundae was also lacking in how it was made. Staff just didn't seem to care about much of anything, unfortunately.

Was surprised that it was mostly empty whenever we walked by, but perhaps I shouldn't have been after our experience.

We went for lunch one day (sorry - don't remember which one) and had a completely different experience. The onion rings and fries were delicious, and kept coming without asking. I know tastes vary between people, but the apple pie for us was delicious. It has been a long time since I had any kind of pie where the crust melted in my mouth. As the desserts are included in the unlimited servings, I actually took two pieces of the pie with me back to the room (without the ice cream). I even felt that I would pay the charge just for the pie again.

My only complaint, if I would have one, was that we were not informed of the milkshake flavor of the day, and did not see the sign to that effect until we were finishing up. But the shakes we did have were very good. The only other thing about the shakes is that the picture on the menu shows the shake with the tin as a second serving, but one only receives the single shake.

I am an NCL fan, but our friends and family are thinking about the Explorer- 9 day from NJ in the summer of 2013. What do you like the most about Royal Caribbean, and how the this ship? How does the dining work? I have only done the freestyle and that is what I like about the NCL style of cruising. I thank you for your helpful comments.;)

We loved the pub on the Promenade. Troy was the bartender... I hope he is still there in October when we go again!

VOyager and Explorer are the 2 best ships in the fleet! First off they dont have the hokey kids sailaway garbage like the freedom class and above do now.

Johnny rockets = awesome

Windjammer = awesome

Dining room = awesome

Pool and deck area is super awesome and love the pool and sky bar

The pub is great

I love walking deck 4 at night and then going up front to the heli pad to look at the stars

This ship seems to be wonderful from all of your responses. I am getting excited reading your memories. It looks like we will be booking a cruise on this ship soon. Do you have to pay when you go to say the Johnny Rockets, or is that included in the general food fare for the ship?:rolleyes:

Donna K-Do they have enough tix to go around for everybody?? And on a 9 day they have 4 ice shows?? We are sailing on the Explorer next Feb and would def like to see the ice show. Really appreciate all the helpful info about the ship you have posted.:)-Claudia

Yes, there are enough tix for everyone. The only thing is that the shows at the best times (like right before or right after dinner) get "sold out" fast, and then the only tickets left are during the afternoon. However, the arena is rarely full because not everyone who has tickets shows up, so they do let people without tickets in 10 minutes or so before showtime.

If you are platinum or above in Crown and Anchor, then there is an extra show just for "top tier" members - tickets are delivered to your stateroom.

Do not miss the ice show on Explorer - it's one of the absolute best shows I've seen on any ship!!!

Some other things I loved on Explorer:

Lots of good "live" music around the ship. The pool band "One Love" was outstanding!!! The RCI players did a "Big Band" show in Maharajas Lounge one evening that was really wonderful (even though I'm not particularly into big band music).

The sailaway party on the pool deck was one of the best of all the ships I've been on! (Some have been real duds).

Yes, there are enough tix for everyone. The only thing is that the shows at the best times (like right before or right after dinner) get "sold out" fast, and then the only tickets left are during the afternoon. However, the arena is rarely full because not everyone who has tickets shows up, so they do let people without tickets in 10 minutes or so before showtime.

If you are platinum or above in Crown and Anchor, then there is an extra show just for "top tier" members - tickets are delivered to your stateroom.

Do not miss the ice show on Explorer - it's one of the absolute best shows I've seen on any ship!!!

Lots of good "live" music around the ship. The pool band "One Love" was outstanding!!! The RCI players did a "Big Band" show in Maharajas Lounge one evening that was really wonderful (even though I'm not particularly into big band music).

The sailaway party on the pool deck was one of the best of all the ships I've been on! (Some have been real duds).

Donna, once again I totally agree with you. "One Love" was terrific. The last few cruises, our pool bands have been mediocre so "One Love" was a very pleasant surprise.

Donna,

Did they let you know about before general ticket distribution? I don't want to stand in line to get tickets that we're not going to use.

Hope you had a great cruise & left her in good shape for us!

Virginia

Donna,

Did they let you know about before general ticket distribution? I don't want to stand in line to get tickets that we're not going to use.

Hope you had a great cruise & left her in good shape for us!

Virginia

On our New Years EX cruise, they did NOT let us know about the C&A ice show, until after we got tickets and went to a general show. We ended up going to both - the show was so good that we wanted to see it multiple times. On our May 24th EX cruise, the C&A ice show invitations were delivered the 1st night (they were on our bed when we got back from the Welcome Aboard show).

Both cruises, the C&A ice show was scheduled for 3pm on the last sea day - not the most convenient time. We didn't mind so much on the New Year's cruise because it was a cold and windy day, so we were indoors anyway. But, on the May cruise, it kind of cut into spending time outside.

Thanks Donna!! We can't wait to sail on the Explorer!! Will def make sure to go to the sailaway party. Will be great not to have to deal with flights, hotels, etc in the winter. Even taking the shuttle so no driving!! Now to wait for Feb!!-Claudia:)

This ship seems to be wonderful from all of your responses. I am getting excited reading your memories. It looks like we will be booking a cruise on this ship soon. Do you have to pay when you go to say the Johnny Rockets, or is that included in the general food fare for the ship?:rolleyes:

rivacationgirl,

You will not be disappointed with the Explorer.

Specially if you live in the area of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania or the surrounding area. It's so nice to be able to just drive or catch the bus to the port instead of flying. We have sailed with NCL before and I think the experience with Royal Caribbeanis so much nicer.

There is a nominal fee for some of the specialty restaurants, and Johnny Rocket is one.

The last time we were on the Explorer it was $4.99 per person and it included all you can eat, hamburgers, chicken, fries, onion rings, pie etc. Drinks like milkshakes or soft drinks are extra. Tea or lemonade, water are free. The service is great and the staff is very welcoming. Another specialty restaurant that you would have to pay is Portofino, very nice also, for about $20.00 per person.

We went for lunch one day (sorry - don't remember which one) and had a completely different experience. The onion rings and fries were delicious, and kept coming without asking. I know tastes vary between people, but the apple pie for us was delicious. It has been a long time since I had any kind of pie where the crust melted in my mouth. As the desserts are included in the unlimited servings, I actually took two pieces of the pie with me back to the room (without the ice cream). I even felt that I would pay the charge just for the pie again.

Completely agree that the apple pie was very good, only the portion presented was small. With the "luck" I had with the onion rings, I didn't even try to see if I could have another piece! Maybe they were just having an off night, but it was enough to keep us from trying JR again.

I am an NCL fan, but our friends and family are thinking about the Explorer- 9 day from NJ in the summer of 2013. What do you like the most about Royal Caribbean, and how the this ship? How does the dining work? I have only done the freestyle and that is what I like about the NCL style of cruising. I thank you for your helpful comments.;)

I forgot, the ice show, one of the best things on the ship and the nice thing about it is

that when they are not having a show you can take the family skating. Get the tickets for the show the morning after you sail. We like to get it for both shows. We like it that much.

We never had problems getting one, there's enough for everyone.

Mini golf, and Salsa dance club very nice..:)

we are thinking of this 9night cruise next year but which would be best March, April or May?? we will be staying in New York a few nights before.

cheers

ps best for weather

Weather here in NY and Bermuda will be warmer in May then March or April but usually the weather in the Caribbean won't change that much degree wise from April to May. Also depending on where you want to go April is the last time Explorer will go to St. Thomas on her 9 day voyage, in May Explorer starts going to their private island Labadee instead of St. Thomas.

Has anyone here been to Bermuda in October? What is the temp like then?

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather in Bermuda was beautfiul - low 80s and perfect for swimming - getting there not so much!! Of course, we are going again this September so the threat of rough seas is not stopping us!!

Marie

Archived