P&O Cheapskates

katrus-83

But the only comment I am making about the lack of bands is that its just one of the cuts P&o are making, another the thread poster makes is forcing you to print your own tickets and tour brochures out yourself in the name of 'green' which is a total nonsense...

A comment only. :rolleyes:

If the reason for no band is the 'number of ships sailing ' then how come last year with the same number of ships in the fleet (Artemis was with us instead of Adonia ) we STILL had bands at every cruise sailaway ? Sorry don't get that?

They are cancelling bands - agree it seems to be only on 'some' cruises. OK I missed 'some' out, -but as I said, if its your cruise it is one less enhancement .

Yes newbies may not know what they missed, but many do know that when you cruise you have a sailaway band and may feel slightly upset it wasn't there.

You know full well Sharon that many cruises since April have not had sailaway bands I cruised in May like you and didnt have one , you did, so now instead of EVERY cruise having a band playing its now hit or miss.... not much consolation if your cruise doesn't have one...

still it was nice sailing away looking at a few dirty dockers untying the ropes (yawn) but thank god it was onwards and upwards as soon as we left blighty. A great cruise and great weather.

P&O aren't perfect I agree, but everyone is allowed to comment on the poor points as well as good, it is without doubt a very expensive holiday (unless one is lucky to get a late deal at £45 a night in an inside cabin, then its a cheap holiday and fantastic value for money, everyone has the right to express their opinion on their cruise good or bad...

Sue was there not a sailaway party on the rear deck?

I must admit we do enjoy the band and standing on the prom deck as we set sail from Southampton has become a tradition for us when we sail with P&O, however it's not the end of the world if a band is not available. When we have sailed from Southampton with other cruise lines there has been a party on deck we can join if we wish. We enjoy a glass of champers anytime with or without entertainment.:):)

Of course everyone can comment. It was just that you implied that the band had been cancelled on all cruises, when obviously it is on some and not others - this could well be down to availablity of bands, bearing in mind how many ships Southampton is now attracting. There were six in port on 2 June and 5 the following day. Not all of those could have a band for sailaway.

Sharon, out of interest, Do you know which cruiselines have/used to have sailaway bands?

Cunard?

Fred O

NCL

Celebrity

Princess

RCI

Besides P&O, I guess Princess and Cunard do, what about the others?

Sue was there not a sailaway party on the rear deck?

I must admit we do enjoy the band and standing on the prom deck as we set sail from Southampton has become a tradition for us when we sail with P&O, however it's not the end of the world if a band is not available. When we have sailed from Southampton with other cruise lines there has been a party on deck we can join if we wish. We enjoy a glass of champers anytime with or without entertainment.:):)

Hi there

There was champagne for sale yes, whether that is classed as a 'party' thats the big question...it was quite dismal really, we had misty rain and dark clouds, no band !;), and drinks stewards parading with glasses of champagne to sale, oh and a photographer with a false smile trying to get you to pose to sell photos... a bit flat...not my idea of a party lol:p But we had our free glass of champagne with our free voucher for tiers of new Peninsular club, and returned indoors.

Perhaps if the weather had been better there would of been music on top decks, we were on the prom deck.:)

(it was still a fffffffffffffffffantastic cruise !)

Sharon, out of interest, Do you know which cruiselines have/used to have sailaway bands?

Cunard?

Fred O

NCL

Celebrity

Princess

RCI

Besides P&O, I guess Princess and Cunard do, what about the others?

I have read Cunard do not, never seen it mentioned apart from P&O.

Gan Canny

Dai

Speaking from our experience - a lot of cruises, but only a few cruise lines - P&O is the only line to provide a band on the quayside. Usually, the sail away involves a party on deck - or nothing at all.

Thanks Gill,

There probably won't be a band for every cruise ship at the Grand Event then, unless P&O can magic up SEVEN sailaway bands lol:) or perhaps they will arrange to minibus them between sailing berths !! LOL

There were only 2 ships in when I sailed so number of ships wasn't an issue then, although it was a Friday perhaps harder to russle up a band on a Friday late afternoon, although they did do in previous years when I've sailed on a Friday.

One of our worst sailaways was on the Arcadia years ago, it was cold wet and horrible, they did have a band but only a few of us braved the weather to watch it, I think even the usual party on the rear deck was abandoned as well. We only stayed outside for a short while sheltering under a lifeboat. We still had a glass of champers but took it inside to enjoy in a bar, as we did not want the rain to dilute it:)

No bands with Cunard or Fred Olsen, and we didn't have a band on my first P&O cruise on Aurora in 2004 - so I don't think it's a new thing for them to be hit and miss.

Archived