Question for Experienced Cruisers

42trvl

Hi -

Just spent a wonderful few days on the Summit. Had only been on one other cruise a few years back on Disney and were not too thrilled, so were guardedly optimistic about this cruise, and thought it would be good "practice" for our upcoming Alaska cruise on Summit.

Anyway, we all really enjoyed the cruise and are already thinking about another one for next year. We had two kids with us (9 & 11).

Our question for those of you have have cruised on several different ships, knowing how much we liked the Summit, what other ships or lines do you like that may offer enough or more for the children, yet still be as nice or better than the Summit? For example, how do the RCCL ships compare?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

You might consider Princess Star.
My wife and I took our kids aged 11 and 15 to Alaska last May. We had a great time. My son did not make use of the Teen Center much, preferring to hang with the adults, but you couldn't keep my 11-year-old daughter away from her new friends.

I think your cruise is going to be what you make of it. We totally enjoyed our cruise on the Summit and having had the aft balcony I didn't think any cruise would ever be as wonderful. We have since cruised on the Volendam, Century, Horizon, Galaxy, Granduer, and the Zenith. We enjoyed each and every one of them as well. We don't cruise with children but the ones I observed all seemed to be having a good time.

Zenith from Jacksonville
Feb. 13 05

Celebrity is far an above my favorite line, but with kids you might want to consider one of Royal Caribbean's mega ships. The newer ones have mini golf, rock climbing walls and even small ice skating rinks. I think with the ages of your kids they might enjoy those things.

Terri

Skyward - 1989
Carnivale - 1991
Holiday - 1994
Fantasy - 1998
Century - 2002
Century - 2003
Jubilee - 7/04
Century - 9/04
Coral Princess 3/05

Having cruised on the 4 Mass market lines and various size ships with and without family, IMHO, I suggest a Voyager Class Royal Caribbean ship. We are even looking at this class for our next cruise. There is just so much to offer on board. I find traveling on a new ship and to at least one new Port, helps me enjoy our cruise even more, especially with doing the pre-cruise research. The RCI children's program is amongst one of the best. Also, we found the Carnival Pride, Legend and Conquest (all new larger ships) were very good and offered lots for families to do at a great price. They are not the "Party Animal" ships of days gone by.
Bon Voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04
Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003
Carnival Legend 4/11/2003
Carnival Pride 2/23/2002
Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001
Grand Princess 3/2001
Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000
Sea Princess 2/22/1999
Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998
Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998
Celebrity Century 3/1997
Celebrity Zenith 11/1996
Legend of the Seas 6/1995
Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

Hi! We have not been on that many cruises, and all have been Celebrity. Now we are looking at the Royal Carib Jewel for Northern Europe. It is a 12 day, port intensive cruise...only 2 sea days. Those of you who have been on both Celeb & Royal Carib....do you think we will feel a great difference? Thanks

I would agree with the recommendation of the RCCL Voyager class. It's been a long time since I was "a little boy" but wow I really enjoyed my week on Explorer of the Seas. I did miss that little extra touch of class that I found with Celebrity, but there was just SO much to do on the ship, you could skip all the ports and still not get it all in.

One place I really liked was the bridge observation area. You could go to a deck above the bridge and look in through windows to see what was going on. They also had computer monitors showing your current location, speed, direction, etc. And for kids... they will love a nightly stop at the Cafe Promenade for a warm cookie and milk! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Yeah.. just the kids! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Theron

[email="TPKeller@rocketmail.com"]click to e-mail me[/email]
Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western
Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:
[url="http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/"]http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/[/url]

Hi, 42trvl! I was on the Summit last week, as well. I missed you, I think, at the sailaway party and I slept through the CC party. The sun on deck felt soooo good!

My girls are now 12 and 16. We began cruising with them when they were 4 and 8. We sail on 5/21 for their 7th cruise. We have sailed Century(2x), Milli, and Infinity. On RCCL, we have sailed 2 of the older ships, Majesty OTS, and Viking Serenade. They have had a wonderful time on all the ships, but they actually prefer Celebrity. Now remember, the older RCCL ships at that time did not have the rock climbing wall, etc. Next spring break we are planning a cruise on one of the big RCCL ships with the wall, ice skating, roller blading, etc. This has my youngest thrilled. She's been dying to go on one of these ships. My oldest is not so thrilled. She's more the bookworm, chess-playing type, but she's not about to turn down a cruise. My neighbor is going on Caribbean Princess with her girls in June. Can't wait to hear what she has to say about the programs there. I think when the kids go into the cruise with a good attitude, they will have fun.
That said, this 5/21 cruise is a 10-day Med. cruise. So far I haven't found any kids through CC. Hopefully some will show up, but if they don't, I'm hoping the girls will have fun being together. Notice I said HOPING!!

Becky

Hi Becky -

We missed the sail away party. Met a few CCer's on deck - seemed like a nice group of people, but as you know, when you're traveling with kids (we were also with another family), it makes socializing with just adults a bit harder. It was a great cruise. We were not sure how we'd take to cruising - had not loved our Disney cruise a few years back, but looked at this as good practice for our cruise on Summit this summer in Alaska.

Anyway, we all enjoyed thoroughly, and of course now it's hard to imagine liking any other ship as much. But kids are somewhat intrigued by the RCCL Voyager class ships. I just worry if that may be a bit much for us. And I like the more "open" feeling ships. I think we may have come up with a good "compromise" for next April. Since we may be doing the Voyager out of NY/NJ in summer '05 to Canada, we are thinking to try the Jewel of the Seas next April. Still seems to have good children's offerings (but no skating), but on a smaller ship that looks beautiful.

Any opinions? Anyone?

Archived