Balmoral to Norway, Excursion from Flam

Iceland

Hi, We're looking at excursions for our forthcoming cruise. Has anyone done the "Norway in a Nutshell" one? Apparently there are 13 hairpin bends on this tour and we wondered how hairy are these bends for a slightly nervous passenger?

Thanks, Rita

We went to Norway on the Balmoral last June and that was the only excursion I thought might have been interesting. It IMHO expensive, but I showed the itinerary to my partner who hates mountain roads and he wasn't very keen. Therefore, we didn't bother to book it.

One of the couples on our table at dinner did do it and the lady said that if you do not like mountain roads, then it is probably not for you. She said that she had felt a bit nervous on some sections of the road.

I always do plenty of research beforehand and we don't book the overpriced shore excursions. In Norway in each of the ports it was easy to do things ourselves and I have a mobility issue due to arthritis.

If you need any more info, just ask. BTW, we had a great holiday and the scenery is spectacular.

You could consider doing the mountain railway trip in Flam - we went there last year with a different cruise line, but it's quite easy to do yourself. The ships dock right by the town, just make a bee line for the booking office when you first arrive and book a ticket. The little town of Flam itself is lovely and if you get a nice day, it's nice just to wander around also.

It is a splendid excursion - and no need to worry about the hairpin bends - the coach does about 5 mph doing them. And the railway trip beforehand is well worth it.

Book this thru' Fred - the places on the train are quite limited and if a couiple of ships are in then it is likely to be sold out - so this is one time when it is worth biting the bullet and coughing up. Yes it is a lot but everything is a lot in Norway.

You can book this on your own - check how many vessels are in on your day. If only one then you will probably be OK. The rail ticket office is literally 100 yards from the quay.

I agree the Fred's prices can be a bit steep, but you are on holiday - and spending a bit extra anyway. You know that the ship won't leave if there is an unanticipated hold up, eg on the roads, on an official trip. All the organising is done for you - and, as said above, tickets are prebooked - saves queuing and the worry that you won't get one.

The Flam (pronounced Flom) railway trip is worth it - and when we went we had a lovely stop for coffee and waffles with cream and jam at a hotel along the route.

Hi LondonTowner, thank you for your reply. Were there any other ships in Flam that day?

We have booked the Kjenndalen Glacier& Lovatnet Lake cruise excursion from Olden. Have you, or anyone else on the forum, done this and did you enjoy it? Last time we were there we did the Briksdal Glacier which we really enjoyed.

Archived