Cost of Taxi Question.

Hugh0906

What is the cost of a taxi from Mahogany Bay to downtown Coxen Hole? Is there a difference on the return?

I know I can catch a jitney bus from Coxen Hole to the West End, can I find one from that runs the above route?

The prices I'm occasionally seeing sound pretty high for Honduras so I was just wondering.

Hugh in Dallas

Don't think of Roatan as Honduras, though it is. The natives are island folk and never were part of the mainland culture. There are now many people on the island who came over from the mainland but at one point the island was all English or a form of English speaking.

The taxi are not regulated and they are high...figure over $5us a gallon and it takes about 45 minutes from Mahogany Bay to West End. West Bay to the airport in Coxen Hole is $20 per person. The drive is only 30minutes.

There is a bus system between Coxen Hole and the east end but the buses were not marked last time I was on one and there was no such thing as a schedule. I would not rely on one.

It may be possible to flag a collectivo outside the Mahogany Gate but between that possibility and the time factor you are on.. unless your goal is to have a look at much of the public transport you are better off paying for a local guide, he can tell you about his home, take you any place you please and answer all your questions.

Were you docking in Coxen Hole I would suggest the mini bus but from Mahogany Bay public transport is a challenge.

Archived