obstructed balcony view.is this really bad?

AuH20

another message from me as first time cruiser.what exactly does obstructed view mean if booked guaranteed balcony but may be obstructed.am on silhouette end of Sept.will i be able to see out at all?New to all this!thanks

The worse blocked view involve large lifeboats that block part of the balcony view these are the 2D cabins. You can stand and see the ocean but sitting, part or all of the view might be blocked. The next catagory, 2C prevents you from looking directly to the water but you can look of your veranda looking out directly to the water. The gty does not mean you will definitely get a 2D, some people report getting 2C and up. The view is never completely blocked.

A lot also depends on where you are in relation to a lifeboat or tender...

Worst would be a 2D directly in the middle of a tender...but even some 2Ds are not that bad...

6209 and 6210, for example, are 2Ds but actually GREAT cabins...The balcony is considerably larger than standard and the lifeboat only blocks a small portion of the view...Just click on the thumbnails below (these are of #6210)...

With a guarantee rate, it's hit or miss...but, hopefully, you should be getting such a reduced fare that it may be worth the gamble...On our cruise most that took the balcony guarantee reported getting assigned 2Bs!!

6210-1.jpg.eb7d2d81200344517b2f8eefacdccc09.jpg

6210-2.jpg.c4cde42074b7900f9c03b408db9e570d.jpg

6210-3.jpg.c3ad872087f44ae0f28377d8e7a7d458.jpg

balcony6210.jpg.d06c96c868e8664bf096b4d41817c524.jpg

To answer your question, yes, even if you have the most obstructed cabin on the ship, you'll be able to see straight out in front of you. The obstructions are due to either lifeboats (cat 2C) or tenders (cat 2D) being in front of your balcony. I currently have a balcony guarantee booked for Silhouette as well, and have no problem with the fact that we will most likely be assigned a 2C or 2D.

In addition to the photos above of the 2D (6210 on Solstice, the first 3 photos were mine that I'd previously posted), here are a few photos from the balcony of our 2C, cabin 6277 on Equinox.

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

...the photos above of the 2D (6210 on Solstice, the first 3 photos were mine that I'd previously posted)...

Sorry to have neglected to credit you...

When we initially booked 6209, I searched for photos of the cabin/balcony/view...and saved the ones I thought were good depictions...and have generally linked or re-posted them where I though they would be of help to others...I figured as they were posted without copywrite or limitation, the original photographers would likely have no issue with that use...

I hope that is okay with you?

We had a 2D on the Solstice in March. We got it for a great price and I would do it again if I got the same deal.

If you are the type of person that has to have a view looking straight down they are not for you. If you like looking out, it is wonderful. We enjoyed our balcony every day.

Bruin Steve... no, I don't mind at all. When I originally posted them, it was intended to help others, so mission accomplished! I was just about to post the 2C/2D photos myself when I saw this thread, so I was slightly surprised that you beat me to it, that's all. And you're correct in assuming that if it was something I wanted to control distribution of or keep private, I wouldn't put it on the internet ;)

Happy Cruising!

Archived