Travel Agent or Carnival directly???

sukyrin

I spoke to a travel agent in my area... The name of the place is called Expedia Cruise Ship Center.

I got about the same price as I would from Carnival. I asked what the benefits were for me to go with them and not Carnival and have not gotten an answer yet.

My TA (friends TA used this time) NO perks and gave me attitude when I emailed/call her with requests for 3 price drops.

Well I have not gone on the cruise yet, but will be very surprised if she gives me or us any perks, actually asked DF if the TA gave her any perks on her last cruise and it was NO!

TA I used for my first 2 cruises also gave me NO perks. So I need to find new TA.

My TA (friends TA used this time) NO perks and gave me attitude when I emailed/call her with requests for 3 price drops.

Well I have not gone on the cruise yet, but will be very surprised if she gives me or us any perks, actually asked DF if the TA gave her any perks on her last cruise and it was NO!

TA I used for my first 2 cruises also gave me NO perks. So I need to find new TA.

Many TA's don't like doing price drops - cuts into their commission......

Many TA's don't like doing price drops - cuts into their commission......

This is unfortunately true, but I do feel it's a bit short sighted of them. You don't build loyalty from your customers by treating them as if working with them is a burden.

My TA is always friendly and is (outwardly?) happy to submit price drop requests. His attitude and being so easy to work with have earned my repeat business. I doubt many people return to do business with the TAs who make it seem like their customers are bothering them when asked to do price drops.

If I'm not mistaken, it's possible to have your booking switched to new travel agent if you are unhappy with your current one. Perhaps this is something that some people in this thread may want to consider doing.

Duane-O

I think you are right to not anticipate any perks. I know that some TAs will have something sent to the guest's cabin for when they arrive, and those are nice little surprises.

However, when it comes to Onboard Credit, the travel agents I have worked with have always specified this at the time of booking (or more specifically at the time of getting a quote). So if you are going to find a new TA, you should find one that states the OBC upfront, and not hope they surprise you with it when you board.

I understand the board's policy about not sharing TA information, but there are times where I really wish it didn't exist.

Duane-O

I would prefer to work with Carnival directly and not go through a middle man. So I would book with Carnival if there wasn't a price to do so.

But price on Carnival is "commission in". So you are paying a premium to book direct. Very easy to find a TA who is eager to "share" the commission with you. It's amazing to me that so many people will throw a hissy fit over a chocolate or a glass of champagne but gladly pay the full commission to Carnival.

We just booked 4 cabins for 15 people. I sent our TA one email with all names, birth dates, and specific cabin assignments.

How long could it have taken her to book that? And she won't hear from us again unless there is a price drop. I deserve at least half the commission. :p

Archived