Taking ship's food on shore

This question was already asked on a different board and the answer is no due to the possibility of disease. Look up a show called "Border Security" on youtube, it shows what people do to smuggle stuff into Australia. I live in the U.S. so that is the only way I can see the show, but they are very serious in Australia about food. If you get caught like those people, you can get a $220 fine ($222 USD!!!)

I would check out this site

http://www.google.com.au/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&q=australian+customs+prohibited+foods&oq=australian+customs+foods&aq=2b&aqi=g-K2g-b1g-bK1&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.2.0i30l2j0i8j0i8i30.1031.5000.1.7906.10.7.0.3.3.0.812.3515.3-1j1j3j1.6.0...0.0.sgJ5FUOXZg4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=eb4a3612e5b91368&biw=1680&bih=869

We don't eat much candy, so my husband always takes all of the chocolates they leave on our pillow back to our office whe we return home.

Is that also a big no, no?

While it has never occurred to me to take food off the ship, I had no idea that it wasn't allowed. Interesting.

If you declare those chocolates, then you should get them ashore with no problems.

I always bring back chocolates from NZ in their sealed packages and declare them. They always ask whether there are any nuts in them and whether there are or not, they have never taken them from me.

Cheers

Di

Archived